Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2010, 05:51   #16

Boat: Steel trawler 63' Eileen Farrell
The real problem you're facing is owning property overseas. May I suggest you sit down and weigh the advantages of simply renting a place wherever you'd like to stay for a few months? No taxes, no endless bribes, no paperwork, no lawyers, etc. At least start out that way for awhile and look around.
I remember talking to a guy in Costa Rica in a bar and he was telling me about this wonderful finca he had in the hills. Two drinks later, he was railing about how the Ticos had ripped him off and how everyone in the country had their hands in his pockets, two more drinks he was crying and begging me to buy his ranch.
lorenzo b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 06:03   #17

Boat: Allied Princess, 36-Scallywag
Did you start collecting Social Security at age 62 or 65? I was told by an financial planner, it was better to wait until 65 because of a larger benefit since the population on average is living longer. I am also concerned with being able to sail at a later age. I hope I did not hijack this thread.

John
scallywag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 06:05   #18

Boat: Morgan, O.I. 33' Dutch Treat
Here is a direct link to the SSA site with your answer Answer

I hope this helps,

Dutch
johnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 06:17   #19
CLOD

Boat: none
Not really but. I figured there has to be enough people collecting SS who are cruising and know the answer. But I posted a question to SS and will copy it to the thread when I get it.
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 06:21   #20

Boat: 58 Taswell AS
Direct deposit the check and get a Florida address by getting a forwarding account with St. Brendan's Ilse in Florida. They will forward your mail anywhere, pre-screen it, and put your mail on the internet for a price. We use on-line banking to follow deposits, check balance, etc.
speciald@ocens. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 06:22   #21

I was just thinking and what I posted apply to people on SSI there may be a differance if you are on retirement or SSD so I must say I could be wroung.

I can not wait to see what you find out, I plan to travel the rest of my life and sure do not want to do it just here in the US.

Dutch
Old 11-01-2010, 07:26   #22

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
But I get the impression that a couple of the replies are saying you have to return to the US every so offen. Is this true that you have to return to the US evry X months to continue to recieve your social security?
That was for Medicare only. See post #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS/gov
If you are a U.S. citizen, you may receive your Social Security payments outside the United States as long as you are eligible for them.................

If you are living outside the United States., periodically we will send you a questionnaire. This lets us figure out if you still are eligible for benefits. Return the questionnaire to the office that sent it as soon as possible. If you do not, your payments will stop.
In addition to responding to the questionnaire, notify us promptly about changes that could affect your payments. If you fail to report something or deliberately make a false statement, you could be penalized by a fine or imprisonment. You also may lose some of your payments if you do not report changes promptly.
Your Payments While You Are Outside The United States

Although: http://www.socialsecurity.gov/intern...outsideUS.html
Old 11-01-2010, 09:20   #23

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
I don't see any problem with getting direct deposit.

But I get the impression that a couple of the replies are saying you have to return to the US every so offen. Is this true that you have to return to the US evry X months to continue to recieve your social security?
NO!

If everything is mailed to a US address, how the heck do they know? Your "official" residence is your address. By the way, don't let your drivers license expire.

As a side note. There's a Social Security Office in the USVI's. On the island of St Thomas. Go out the back gate of Crown Marina and cross the main street and walk up the hill toward KFC, on the left you'll see a two story building with the word GYM, which is part of a shopping center. After you enter this center, you'll pass their office as you go to the ATM.

John
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 10:16   #24
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"The real problem you're facing is owning property overseas."
In many countries non-citizens simply can't own property. That was the situation in Mexico not very long ago. A US citizen could buy into a co-op or condo, but not simply BUY a piece of land with a house on it.
Try to move into Bermuda. Even if you can afford the prices...non-citizen? You've got two years at best, and then you're on a plane out. Most of the world works that way, except for the vast hoards who overstay in the US and Canada and just drop off the maps.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 10:23   #25

Boat: Fantasia 35
From the SSA:

"If you are a U.S. citizen, you may receive your Social Security payments outside the United States as long as you are eligible for them."

The "eligible" in the above means that you would receive your benefits if you lived in the U.S.

Other restrictions apply to non-U.S. citizens receiving SS benefits living outside the U.S.

Paul
Viking Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 13:36   #26

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
"The real problem you're facing is owning property overseas."
In many countries non-citizens simply can't own property.
My wife has three citizenships; US, Canada & PI. So for her to buy property is no big thing. The family already owns lots of properties just not where I'd like to live. Plus, we can just keep it in the family rather then in just our name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A
If everything is mailed to a US address, how the heck do they know? Your "official" residence is your address. By the way, don't let your drivers license expire.
In this modern age of computers, every time you show you passport they know where you are. There is no hiding if you use your real name.
Old 11-01-2010, 14:36   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gailwind View Post
I know people who live in the south seas and draw their checks. It's
none of the gov's business where you live. I know one family who's
check is delivered to them and they take it to the local bank and dep.
it as they would in the states
Maybe I'm missing something here. There's no need to have a family member carry your check to the bank to if you don't want to share your cruising location, or worse have your check mailed to the South Pacific! Direct deposit doesn't subject you to extra government scrutiny. Turn off that talk radio! 'take care and joy, Aythya crew
Hudson Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 15:16   #28

From what I get from all the post is bottom line, Don't ask don't tell meaning that people do it by keeping a US address with direct deposit. as for the property I have no clue and seams to me that each Goverment has their own rules. I guess the SSA never checks to see if people sign in and out of the country.

In my post I tried to explain the legal aspect by returning every 90 days. In my option if your not drawing welfare then you should be able to travel or live anyplace you want, you worked all your life paying in now it is your time to live.

Dutch
Old 11-01-2010, 15:25   #29

Boat: C&C 38'
I had a South Africa address on a resident visa and had my SS checks direct deposited in a USA bank for the last 3 years and I did not have to return to the USA at any time. I did have a problem when I was about to return because there was not enough blank pages in my passport. I had to drive for seven hours to go to the American consulate to have extra pages added!
Old 11-01-2010, 15:27   #30

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post

In this modern age of computers, every time you show you passport they know where you are. There is no hiding if you use your real name.
Not to worry!

I enrolled in Social Security while cruising and continued to cruise for four plus more years. Which included a round-trip flight back to the states.

The US Immigration officer thought my many stamped passport was great!!
John A is offline   Reply With Quote