Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-10-2019, 10:13   #1

Unhappy So my neighbor hit me. How do I assure everything is fixed like it never happened?

The guy tied up next to me (new 35ft Powerboat) panicked while leaving the dock yesterday (several witnesses).

I was standing in the cockpit of my B393 when I noticed he was drifting closer to our side of the slip. Just as I was about to help fend him off he went full throttle kicked the back of his boat towards us side swiping us hard then nearly went aground before going full reverse, full forward, and reverse again.

Luckily no one was hurt. He seems like a decent guy and basically said whatever it takes to make it right type stuff. I tried to reassure him that accidents happen and not to beat himself up about it.

So now, here I am now trying to figure out how much of my vacation I’m going to burn dealing with this. The damage is what I’d consider moderate as he didn’t puncture a hole in my boat but I did watch the hull flex inward at least a couple of inches and heard some horrible crunching sounds when it happened. After taking a few minutes to grasp what had just occurred I went down below and checked for water in the bilge. Everything was dry but I could see on the inside of the sides of the hull where the Fiberglas fibers had split away from each other behind my electrical panel. I have no idea if there is more damage that I can’t see behind the bulkheads and cabinets. Also my aluminum toe rail is bent and has a deep gouge as well as some more deep gouges and scratches on the hull.

I am very untrusting of insurance companies and honestly yards too. I am extremely particular about my boat and I’m meticulous about its maintenance and appearance (and it shows). I’m also very concerned about structural damage to the hull and the hull-deck joint as well. Planning to take the boat to Hawaii and of course, in my mind, there is zero room for compromise. I want this to be like it never happened. I don’t want mismatched gel coat and a boat buffed and waxed on one side but not the other. I have no idea how they are going to inspect behind the nave station and cabinets for damage as there is very little access to those areas.

Can anyone please advise how to not get screwed by all the parties involved in this? Is there a way to find and repair the damage we might not be able to see?
docrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2019, 10:23   #2

Boat: Carver,Cobia,Nacra, Columbia
Re: So my neighbor hit me. How do I assure everything is fixed like it never happened

Fly a Beneteau QC guy in from their factory in South Carolina!
flyingfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2019, 10:31   #3

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail
Re: So my neighbor hit me. How do I assure everything is fixed like it never happened

Quote:
Originally Posted by docrn View Post
I am very untrusting of insurance companies and honestly yards too. ..
Well, if you are untrusting of insurance companies and boatyards, I guess you're on your own.

(you could hire a lawyer, but you probably don't trust them either.)
Old 13-10-2019, 10:49   #4

Boat: Cal 33-2

I have had similar happen to me. Last was a year ago when the boat moored near broke loose and hit me. Call your insurance company. And find the best yard in your area and insist on them doing the work. You will have to keep on top of things to insure things are done to your satisfaction.
Old 13-10-2019, 10:55   #5

Boat: Catalina 320

You'll need to have an damage inspection and survey that will include a quick haul out, especially if you can see damaged FG on inside of hull.
I'd contact my insurance company who would offer to file a claim against his, you can avail yourself of their expertise or decline and start on your own.
Good luck, hope it's not much.
When a friend's boat was hit we had our own surveyor and one from both insurance companies, when they'd expressed their opinions we also heard from the yard foreman who we'd both known since he started working for his dad in the yard at 14.
Calif.Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2019, 10:58   #6

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Insurance companies have big buildings because they take money and don't pay out.
Ask me how I know. (Hint: Geico, Hartford, Safeco)
One even had the temerity to accuse me of insurance fraud.
I was tied to my dock and a drunk old incompetent in his old nasty powerboat hit me, and I'm the one committing fraud?

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2019, 11:06   #7

doc,

Sorry to hear about your misfortune.

What I have found in cases like this (I was hit amidships at anchor!!!) is to take it slow, slow, slow. Learn as much as you can about the component parts and attachments. Do some of your own homework on sources for parts, like your toe rail. Get to know some yards and find out about them (I did a scathing Yelp review on the yard my insurance company used!).

I fully understand your concerns, regardless of your plans. You want, need and should be able to make it whole.

You could, for example, dismantle more of your insides and learn how they were put together, to gain more access to the damaged area.

Whenever faced with these kind of issues, it's like grief's stages. Do it step-by-step, don't ever hurry to "get 'er done" but rather make sure at every step of the way.

Good luck.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2019, 12:01   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
Insurance companies have big buildings because they take money and don't pay out.
Ask me how I know. (Hint: Geico, Hartford, Safeco)
These are US insurances? Here in Europe I know of close neighbours that the insurance worked perfectly. Friendly, very fast. Not a high amount of damage though. Big buildings could also be because the company provides good service.

Not getting screwed imo involves to talk with your insurance, have things in written incl. from the owner who caused the damage.
250224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2019, 13:07   #9

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

IMO, the only way to be SURE that the boat is "as if it never happened" is to replace it with one that is undamaged. With the glued-in grid and furniture systems used by Beneteau (that is what a "B393" is, isn't it?), it is very difficult to accomplish repairs in some areas or to even determine that repairs are need to be like new again. Further, because of the high cost of skilled labor, the cost of really competent repair is very high.

As a result, the various insurance companies involved may well decide to total the boat, leaving you with the task of finding a replacement that suits your needs and wants. Not a great prospect, but not an unlikely one if the damage is as bad as you think.

It's a bummer!

Jim
Old 13-10-2019, 13:18   #10

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

@docrn:

You are right to be concerned. Two inches is a lot of deflection, and there surely will be more hidden damage.

Get your own insurance company involved. Be honest with them. They will send someone to look at the damages. Getting Beneteau involved can't hurt, if they will send someone. You will have to take some things apart to gain access to viewing areas of damages. If the boat is one of the liner built Benes, it may be a write-off. It can be very hard to repair properly, and some of the plexus bonds may be broken.

As to a surveyor, look for one who is licensed, and bonded. There are some good ones, possibly in your area. It would be worth fllying someone in, paying for accommodations, etc. Treat him very well.

I am sorry to be the bearer of ill tidings, but you really need to get a look at the entirety of the damage. (Beneteau may inform you about how to take apart the interior.) Lets hope it is repairable.

Ann
Old 13-10-2019, 14:00   #11
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by docrn View Post
The guy tied up next to me (new 35ft Powerboat) panicked while leaving the dock yesterday (several witnesses).

I was standing in the cockpit of my B393 when I noticed he was drifting closer to our side of the slip. Just as I was about to help fend him off he went full throttle kicked the back of his boat towards us side swiping us hard then nearly went aground before going full reverse, full forward, and reverse again.

Luckily no one was hurt. He seems like a decent guy and basically said whatever it takes to make it right type stuff. I tried to reassure him that accidents happen and not to beat himself up about it.

So now, here I am now trying to figure out how much of my vacation I’m going to burn dealing with this. The damage is what I’d consider moderate as he didn’t puncture a hole in my boat but I did watch the hull flex inward at least a couple of inches and heard some horrible crunching sounds when it happened. After taking a few minutes to grasp what had just occurred I went down below and checked for water in the bilge. Everything was dry but I could see on the inside of the sides of the hull where the Fiberglas fibers had split away from each other behind my electrical panel. I have no idea if there is more damage that I can’t see behind the bulkheads and cabinets. Also my aluminum toe rail is bent and has a deep gouge as well as some more deep gouges and scratches on the hull.

I am very untrusting of insurance companies and honestly yards too. I am extremely particular about my boat and I’m meticulous about its maintenance and appearance (and it shows). I’m also very concerned about structural damage to the hull and the hull-deck joint as well. Planning to take the boat to Hawaii and of course, in my mind, there is zero room for compromise. I want this to be like it never happened. I don’t want mismatched gel coat and a boat buffed and waxed on one side but not the other. I have no idea how they are going to inspect behind the nave station and cabinets for damage as there is very little access to those areas.

Can anyone please advise how to not get screwed by all the parties involved in this? Is there a way to find and repair the damage we might not be able to see?
Call your insurance company. They may have an inspector/adjuster or recommend you obtain quotes for repair.

Interview the repair yards under consideration, and request the credentials and relevant experience of the person who will perform the work. "Oh Bob has done this kind of stuff for years" is unacceptable.

Ask for their detailed repair and QC process for this job, for review in advance of any work performed on this boat.

Ask for references. Talk to at least 3 who have boats you admire who have had similar work performed.
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2019, 15:14   #12
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Year? Important upgrades (remembering that most are not in the used market)?

A boat that is written off is not generally cut up. It is just repaired and sold to someone less discriminating. You get a check for a "comparable" boat value, no a new one. If yours is in exceptional condition, this may not be what you want.

So you may need to think about what repair you can accept, remembering that structure and "looks like it never happened" are not the same thing.

We also don't know the value of lost sailing time, to you. But if it costs 10-15% of the value of the boat to maintain her, the way most boats do, that is what you lose by not sailing for a year. Don't pretend that is zero, the way many would. Since I don't plan on living forever, it is probably worth more than that to me... or I should not have bought the boat.

I'm not appearance driven. A boat is a tool, not jewelry. But I would make certain it was structurally sound.
Old 14-10-2019, 09:51   #13

Boat: Snipe, Roughwater 41, and Islander 36

I like Stu Jackson's advice.
🙂
CLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2019, 10:17   #14

Boat: Sceptre 36

Reading the original post I was thinking I wrote it! Same happened to me July 20. I called my insurance company and they declared that I was in no way at fault so no deductible and no limit. Told me to take it anywhere I chose and get it fixed. I was no longer confident in it's seaworthiness so they had it towed to Blackline in Sidney where they removed the interior to inspect for damage! Was there yesterday and It is still apart! In the end - Bent shaft (the engine jumped on impact as I had the motor mounts undone to do alignment that morning), hull/deck joint compromised, toe rail bent, rub rail damaged, new lifelines damaged, rigging damage. Orders from insurance to Blackline "fix it". We are boatless right now but it will be as good as new when we get it back.
Rex Delay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2019, 10:20   #15

Boat: 42ft Moody Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu3534 View Post
These are US insurances? Here in Europe I know of close neighbours that the insurance worked perfectly. Friendly, very fast. Not a high amount of damage though. Big buildings could also be because the company provides good service.

Not getting screwed imo involves to talk with your insurance, have things in written incl. from the owner who caused the damage.
Have to agree have used insurance in many cases Cars, Boats, Houses and have found them proffesional , good workmanship and no hassle , it is a buyers market Insurance companise that are poor do not last long

Get hold of your insurance company and they will make a claim against the other boaters insurance, most insurance work may be priced or yard specfific
speak to your insurance first and do not get stressed they should do the hard work for you
tarian is offline   Reply With Quote