Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-08-2013, 15:23   #16

Re: Should I or Shouldn't I?

Sounds like a decent deal. All boats need repair or work. You learn more sailing your own boat than lessons....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 15:28   #17

Boat: Mac 26X
Yeah I'm with the "go for it" crowd. Talk of surveys and expensive repairs are simply people who only see their own life aboard. If it's sailable right now it's worth that pittance just for the experience. And if you sail it 25 times in a year and give it away you'll be way ahead both $ wise and experience.

And if you do take some time to learn the systems, make some cheap (as in don't shop at West Marine) repairs, and just clean her up real nice you can probably make a small profit. even if you don't you'll be proud of it and move on in style.
Old 09-08-2013, 15:34   #18

AND!!! And if you fix it a while and HATE IT then you're so freaking far ahead you'll owe us all a beer! You'd be shocked at the number of people who go the other route, spend 10s of 1000s and give up before they ever get started. As in most (at least within my vision as I sit on my boat and look around at the wasted dreams and rotting boats)
Old 09-08-2013, 17:58   #19

Boat: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142

Too many first timers go with a big seaworthy boat to learn on, when in all reality they don't even have a clue as to if the life is for them. A learner boat is the EXACT right thing to do -- buy a cheap boat and make your mistakes where it really won't matter.

Whatever you do though, don't upgrade a doggone thing. Just use it -- maintain what's there but never ever improve a starter boat.

The knowledge you will gain from this boat will pave the way for your next boat to be much more suitable for whatever your sailing style might be. Are you a racer intent upon increasing speed and laying her on the side to do it? Are you a be-bopping guy just out to have a good time and get to the next marina so you can visit the local bar? Are you the guy who is happiest in the middle of nowhere without a sound to be heard except those he's making? Perhaps you'd prefer a go-fast power boat with all the latest fishing gear.

Anyway, your decision to try boating without dumping a whole lot of $$ into it is to be recommended. I hope you like it, but even if you don't it's not like you've spent too much for the lessons. Have fun -- and do let us know if you buy her.

I'm curious -- 'tis why I posted!
janice142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 18:37   #20

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

By all means, purchase this "training sailboat", after giving it a test run. You'll need a few things on board, before sailing...a 3-D batteries flashlight, a couple PFD's, a low cost UHF marine walkie talkie, a portable GPS, a suitable anchor with a decent line, a portable igloo for drinks and sandwiches, a blanket, water proof cover for your cell phone, a waterproof wind breaker/jacket, a hat, sunglasses, an empty paint bucket, some absorbent rags, a large cup-size container for bailing out spashed water, a portable compass, and an adjustable 8" wrench. Keep us posted of your progress! We, at CF, wish you the best of luck! Sail away and have a ball!

Mauritz
Old 09-08-2013, 19:29   #21

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Chainplates for the upper and lower shrouds are attached at one point on either side of the boat. If the chainplate wiggles a bit then go inside and see where it is bolted onto the hull. Check for water damage. If rainwater has been allowed to flow through then there might be dry rot on the bulkheads near the attachment. If not then put some caulking around the stainless chainplate where it goes through the deck and tighten the bolts. Use flexible caulking, not silicone, not 3M 5200, not latex. If it were me I'd do both sides at the same time. Dry rotted wood on the inside where the chainplates bolt can be repaired.

I've always liked the design of the Venture of Newport and thought they looked really great. They are an economy boat so don't go to sea in it unless you do a lot of upgrades.

Don't change a thing about it except sprucing it up for at least 6 months and then personalize it as much as you like. It'll be a fun boat for you to clean up and do varnish and show pride of ownership. They look a lot cooler than my first boat, Catalina 22, did.

kind regards,
Old 09-08-2013, 21:54   #22

Good post skipper J!
Old 10-08-2013, 04:01   #23

Boat: Hunter 27-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
Chainplates for the upper and lower shrouds are attached at one point on either side of the boat. If the chainplate wiggles a bit then go inside and see where it is bolted onto the hull. Check for water damage. If rainwater has been allowed to flow through then there might be dry rot on the bulkheads near the attachment. If not then put some caulking around the stainless chainplate where it goes through the deck and tighten the bolts. Use flexible caulking, not silicone, not 3M 5200, not latex. If it were me I'd do both sides at the same time. Dry rotted wood on the inside where the chainplates bolt can be repaired.

I've always liked the design of the Venture of Newport and thought they looked really great. They are an economy boat so don't go to sea in it unless you do a lot of upgrades.

Don't change a thing about it except sprucing it up for at least 6 months and then personalize it as much as you like. It'll be a fun boat for you to clean up and do varnish and show pride of ownership. They look a lot cooler than my first boat, Catalina 22, did.

kind regards,
Thank you SkiprJohn! I appreciate your input and everyone elses on this forum. I took a test sail last night and although the wind was fairly light, we had a good time. The chainplates weren't really loose like I originally thought, but I didn't get a chance to look at where they are bolted down on the inside. The sails were all in good shape. The motor gave us a little trouble. On the way out it started right up and we were off. But on the way back in, it started fine, but didn't want to rev past an idle. He said that he had just cleaned the carb. It may still need a little work. If its like my motorcycle carb, then there's a high speed and low speed jet. Maybe the high speed jet is a little clogged. I don't know but I don't think it would take much to clean it up.

Thanks again for everyone's input, I will be buying the boat.
SeaRags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 05:22   #24

Congrats! Now part up some pics so we can all enjoy with you!
Old 10-08-2013, 06:08   #25

Boat: Wittholz 39' Cutter by Kanter, CSY 37 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknav View Post
By all means, purchase this "training sailboat", after giving it a test run. You'll need a few things on board, before sailing...a 3-D batteries flashlight, a couple PFD's, a low cost UHF marine walkie talkie, a portable GPS, a suitable anchor with a decent line, a portable igloo for drinks and sandwiches, a blanket, water proof cover for your cell phone, a waterproof wind breaker/jacket, a hat, sunglasses, an empty paint bucket, some absorbent rags, a large cup-size container for bailing out spashed water, a portable compass, and an adjustable 8" wrench. Keep us posted of your progress! We, at CF, wish you the best of luck! Sail away and have a ball!

Mauritz
Hey Texas SeaRags,
YOU BOUGHT IT, great, and as Mauritz says you will need a few items if they are not on the boat. If you look on CL you can probably find a trailer fairly cheap when you have sailed to all the Lake Ray Hubbard areas and want to experience different lakes. It is several hours drive down to Corpus Christi and then you can as your experience level improves do some bay sailing and some sailing inside Padre Island.
JUST DO IT
brutb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 07:59   #26

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

I owned a MacGregor Venture 21. Definetely a low end economy boat. I don't think they were hand laid but rather chopper gun laid. I also seem to remember it oil canning a little when I pushed it. It probably wouldn't hurt to offer a little less. A Catalina 22 is a much better boat if you can find one for close to the same price. Here are two.
http://houston.craigslist.org/boa/3959022090.html
1986 Catalina 22 w/8HP Honda 4 Stroke
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 20:13   #27

Boat: IP 40

We pretty much just did the same thing. We just picked up an old (1974) Catalina 22 with outboard and trailer for $2k. Figure for anything in this price range that allows you to learn by getting out and doing it any time you want, you can't go wrong. My take on it is the make/model of a starter boat means little, as long as you get out and use it as much as possible.

Wen went with the Catalina because it's such a well known boat and seems to be a great fit for our local lakes.

Enjoy it!
ErBrown is offline   Reply With Quote