Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2011, 22:03   #1

Should I Go for it ?

Hi! I'm new to sailing, and have been looking through the classifieds, online ads and sites, and anything else i can get my hands on to find a boat to start off with in my area. I finally found one, went out and looked at it today, and am not sure if it's going to be my first. I am debating on whether or not i should go for it or keep looking. It's a 12 foot boat with an extra sail, a few life jackets, an electric motor, trailer, and an extra rudder. The seller is asking for $1200 but is willing to negotiate. The hull seems to be solid and it seems to be in good condition with one exception - there is a crack inside the cockpit (pictures attached). I'm just wondering what kind of price range I should be looking at for repair for something like this - can I seal it up with a few tubes of silicone? Should I expect there to be damage below the surface? Does this sound like a good deal? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mms_picture.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	270.1 KB
ID:	23525   Click image for larger version

Name:	mms_picture(3).jpg
Views:	141
Size:	243.1 KB
ID:	23526  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Crack.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	134.9 KB
ID:	23527  
papabear4761 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 22:16   #2

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!
Is the crack superficial or does it have some depth to it? I can't tell what I'm looking at in the photo. Looks like a Lido, but that would be 14 feet. What brand boat is it? Do a search online for similar boats and what people are asking for them. Tons of boats out there, so take your time looking.
snort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 22:43   #3

Not sure about the crack - it looked like it may have been about a 1/4 inch deep - I didn't scrutinize it as well as I should have, I guess. I also am not sure about the brand, either. The ad was for "a 17 foot sailboat" and when I talked to the guy, he said it was 12 foot. I'm not the best judge on length, but I'd believe 12 Foot before I would 17. And as for taking my time looking, I know i should, but am starting to get kind of antsy... I live in the middle of Idaho, and this is the second boat I've been able to find in the last three months in the area. Anything else has been at least a 6 hour drive to get to.
papabear4761 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 23:00   #4

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!
I bet if you posted on this forum: Trailer Sailor Discussion Forum - Message Index
you'd find out a lot of info on the boat you have there. There are probably a few dinghy sailors on CF, but nearly 100% on the above link.
Good luck!
snort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 02:13   #5

It'd be a racing class but I don't recognise it - don't think we have them in Oz. Whatever, you'll need to find the class name and then the class website. There's not much point though in getting a racer if you've got no-one to race against. Best to head down to wherever you intend sailing and see what classes are popular. Then have a chat; dinghy classes are always looking for new members and will help you get aboard.

But if there are no racing clubs near you, and you just want to cruise, a trailer sailer is the best bet. What you've got there is a sailer on a trailer but it's not a not a trailer-sailer. The link provided by the poster abovd would be a good starting point if that's your aim.
Wand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 02:20   #6
Armchair Bucketeer

I think you have a good idea on first boat - small and cheap. On something like this, before buying I would want her afloat and fully rigged - not really for a test sail, mainly to make sure all the bits were there! (not a million things on her, but bits and pieces do add up $$$ wise - and I wouldn't rely on assurances that any missing bits would be provided later).

And maybe next time you look - take a tape measure! But a good idea on the photos though . I would really try and identify the make / model and photos (and length) plus any numbers etc would help hawking it around the internet forums - and would help to generate some good advice.

I can't tell what that crack is about - if the boat is double skinned and filled with foam then likely that the foam is soaking wet. that would make it worthless - they don't dryout ashore, need digging out by hand . I would also want to identify how the crack came about.

Price depends on your local market - and how much trailers are valued in your area (and how road legal it is). But (without that crack) to me $1200 all there & functioning (even if not good for 20 years) does not sound unreasonable - under $1k sounds even more reasonable though

My gut feeling is right idea, wrong boat - but all good, as you've gained some useful hands on knowledge for free (apart from time and a bit of head scratching - welcome to the world of boats )..........one of the secrets to happy boat ownership is - not buying someone else's problems
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 02:43   #7

If I could just add a postscript to my post above...

The club where you intend to sail will also have skippers looking for crew for the saturday or twilight races around the cans. That would be a good intro to the sport and a source of good advice for when you're ready to part with cash for a boat of your own. I would advise against buying before trying - and especially for a performance dinghy.
Wand is offline   Reply With Quote