Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2011, 22:35   #1

Boat: Leopard L38
pirate Should I Do it ?

I was planning on working a couple of more years,but I continually find myself wandering off to some other part of the world. I have a couple 100k put away and $1400.00 a month income for the next 12 years. So should I go ahead and buy a boat. I was thinking of heading to the keys where I can get a job (Chef) live on her and learn all the ropes. I am 48 years old and in good health.

I will have other people visiting me regularly so I will need some room. I will eventually head to the South Pacific. Lets put the budget at $75k what kind of vessel should I be looking at? I know I am being a little vague just trying to find a starting point.

Thanks,

Brian
Phisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 22:56   #2

Boat: Pearson 281
Re: Should I Do it ?

Brian... You have a better starting point than many and for the money you could be out the gate with a pretty nice small to mid sized older monohull (say 30 to 45 ft). It sounds like a cat would be better suited for your needs though. This would give you more space for quests/entertainment, likely a more spacious, chef-friendly galley and more flexibility for sailing destinations and beach access. BUT your 75K will not go as far with initial boat purchase.
I'm sure others will have different/better ideas about this but that's my 2 cents.
Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 23:00   #3

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide
Thumbs up Re: Should I Do it ?

Go.

Don't get sucked into being boat poor.. figure out what you need and go.

Less is more, avoid debt (you can make it work on $1400 without debt).

You never know what tomorrow holds, you can go or you can regret not going....

Go.
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 23:07   #4

Boat: Leopard L38

@ Butler, Cat is not an option to much overhead. Just need 2 cabins and some space.
@ Faith, I have absolutely ZERO debt.

Thank you both!

B.
Phisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 23:21   #5

Boat: Pearson 281

Good on ya! You are in a great place by my reckoning.
I'm with Faith go go go.

Unsolicited and probably already figured out: go towards the smaller end of the scale with a good sized cockpit so the boat is easier and cheaper to keep up and so folks have a place to crash. Have fun shopping!
Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 00:44   #6

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

You should be able to get a nice 35+/- footer for $75K, and most have a decent size extra cabin for a guest. Our Wauquiez Pretorien 35 is a good example. They can be had in your budget range and the aft cabin makes a good guest quarters.
Old 11-05-2011, 01:09   #7

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

I think this would be great to live aboard. If you are going to be in the Keys and maybe go over to the Bahamas the shoal draft would be a big plus.

1984 Southerly 115 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Old 11-05-2011, 02:06   #8
Armchair Bucketeer

Buy what works for you - not around guests. Except if you be charging them

Unless you are going micro boat sized you will have enough room (Berths & Stowage etc) to accomadate guests, but whether what you provide will be sufficient for every guest is another thing. For some an 80' Cat won't provide enough room (for them and for you!).....especially after a week (being stuck with folks, including good freinds and family, on a boat is not always painless - me can do about 3 days, but only that long if I know that I've got the option to leave within a few hours ).

Guests always have the option of accomadating themselves ashore or on another (chartered) boat - at own cost
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 03:02   #9
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Should I Do it ?

Go for a CC with a big aft master cabin... leave the V-berth up fwd for the guests..
The aft cabin is so much nicer to live in...

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 04:49   #10

Go Go Go...no doubt about that part.
As for the boat don't skimp - its going to be your home. 35' minimum and make sure she sails well/fast.
Camelot47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 06:49   #11
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

look for a 35 footer .. it will need some work but you have the time to do that. a rear cabin would be nice for stowage and guests. most boats have a pilot birth but they are too small for a couple. the older cape dory 36 is a nice cruiser but no aft space. boats are always a compromise. good luck.
Old 11-05-2011, 07:11   #12

Boat: Sceptre 41

If you are planning on doing coastal cruising I would look at beneteaus. They can be had easily in your price range and are usually comfortable. Certain models are better then others. The late 80's models will get you the most for your money.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 07:12   #13

Boat: 1967 26ft Sailstar - Lillypad
Send a message via Skype™ to erinsavov

All I can say is if you desire to do it then DO IT! There is something to be said for not over thinking it. I was quite scared to jump out there but my pros and cons list weighed heavily on the taking a chance side.
There are all kinds of boat out there in totally random pricing ranges. Here in Culebra PR I know of a good sized (35') boat for sale and it's only 13k. I've sailed on it and it does sail nicely. The interior needs just a bit of TLC. Some things are repaired by simply using line or wire instead of being properly put back together or replaced. But most of all that is cosmetic.
I purchased my 26 foot boat for only $2500. It was a steal. Totally solid and had enough stuff which came with it that was worth the price I paid. Of course I wouldn't recommend that size for your needs but it is suiting me perfectly for now.
Go exploring and be very very very picky about the boat. When a particular style seems to feel right to you then start from that point and shop around for a boat that is in proper shape.
Good Luck!!!
Erin
s/v The Lillypad
erinsavov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 07:36   #14

Boat: Lafitte 44

GO (obviously) and the boat...
Smaller = less $$ in maintenance, upkeep... remember that part... a cheap upfront boat of 45' will cost alot more to maintain than the same price boat at 35'
personally i like the 36-40 range as you get enough room for guests and is still easily single handed.
LOVE the boat.. if you dont love the boat you are buying you wont be happy... ignore all of us and love the boat YOU love for what ever reason.
Old 11-05-2011, 09:20   #15

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38

Do it. You may find yourself regretting not doing it as time passes. I have. Time stands still for no man, and it seems to me that as time passes things tend to be getting worse rather than better.

Sabre
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote