Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 17-06-2010, 09:39   #1

Boat: Hunter Passage 42 - s/v Sensei
Shipping a Mast for the Great Loop

Anybody have an idea how much it would cost to ship a roughly 60 foot mast from Chicago to Mobile to avoid having to carry it on deck while making the transit?

Thanks.

Old 17-06-2010, 10:49   #2

Boat: JBW club 420, MFG Bandit, Snark
At 60 feet it will be an oversize load, just like the boat, and will cost a lot to get shipped that far. I would ship them together. Unless you want to pay nearly what it cost to ship the boat, again, for another truck to take the mast.

Old 17-06-2010, 11:03   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Modified Choate 40
I don't know trucking laws but......

If you could get a trucker to mount it on top of a 40' trailer (in a long box) with the extra 20' hanging over the cab, it would not be an over size load.

Or a car carrier mounted to the side of the carrier...........

Unprepared boaters, end up as floatsum!.......
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2010, 11:23   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1969 Pearson 35 #108 & 1976 Sabre 28
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
If you go through the typical web transport sites, it will be a big cost. I was negotiating to buy a 45' stick on the east coast for shipping to the west coast. Typical charges were around $5,000 and that was not an over length load. Anything over 40' is a problem because there are not a whole lot of trailers that will accomodate more than that. The boat shippers that I contacted were quoting me the cost of shipping the mast as the only thing that they were shipping on their trailer. I hoped I could piggy back onto a boat being shipped but they didn't want to talk about that possibility. That could be a possibility if you got a sympathetic truck company and were real loose on when it would be shipped. With the oil leak, there may be a lot of Gulf boats being shipped north for the summer. The truckers may be looking for anything to cut the cost to them for the return trip.

I have heard of some people who have gone directly to truckers at truck stops and negotiated a way way cheaper cost. They loaded the stick on top of the trailer which took care of any trailer limits and the money directly in the truckers pocket.
Old 17-06-2010, 12:27   #5

Boat: JBW club 420, MFG Bandit, Snark
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
If you could get a trucker to mount it on top of a 40' trailer (in a long box) with the extra 20' hanging over the cab, it would not be an over size load.
I own trucks. This would be a nightmare, if not illegal. When making sharp turns that twenty feet of mast wouldn't bend, power poles, other vehicles and anything sitting in an intersection would get hit. Picture a truck and trailer at a ninety degree angle with 20' of mast extending from the trailer. Some truckers have hit stuff with the nose of there trailer, how you ask, because it swings out beyond the limits of the truck when making a sharp turn. Adding 20' to that would suck tremendously, just the seven feet it would extend past my 53-foot trailer would be a nightmare..

Most box trailers are at the legal limit for height. If it was mounted on top it would not be legal any longer.

It will take a flatbed and some permits.

I don't have flatbeds or I would cut you a deal directly. You could try to got to a truckstop and ask, but I wouldn't. Go through a freight broker or a flatbed company... with good cargo insurance. The market is competitive enough that you will not be getting ripped off. Operating costs are high in this industry, even though we charge you what seems like an arm and a leg, we aren't getting rich off of you.
Old 17-06-2010, 15:26   #6

Boat: Beneteau First 42
In the mid-70's I was able to ship a SparTech mast for a 26' T-Bird from the SeaTac, Washington, area to RIchmonf, Ca tied to the top of a trailer but I don't believe it extended more than a foot or two over the front of the box. I'm sure 20 feet would be far too much as Fiveslide points out.

You might see if it could go as deck cargo on one of the barges going down the River, however. Pehaps one of the grain or ore barges?

FWIW...

"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast, shipping

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: