Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2016, 13:35   #31

Re: Shipping a boat, North East U.S.

Hello Folks,

Original poster here. I appreciate all responses especially those offers to help and the sound advice. I'd like to clarify that I am in fact a she, not a he, and while I wasn't asking for advice on whether or not I can afford this boat, or a boat in general, it did get me thinking that perhaps this particular boat (which is at the high end of my given price range for initial purchase) may not be the right boat for me for a plethora of reasons. On top of that, perhaps this AREA (New England/Long Island) may not be the best area to have my first boat! These are things to consider. I particularly liked some peoples responses but have not figured out how to reply to them directly so thanks to everyone that put time into thinking about my situation and offering how it might be improved, rather than condemning the idea of a young, essentially shallow pocketed individual owning a sailboat all together.

I'd like to end with a quote from an email I got today by another young sailor, who is also, in fact, A GIRL!!!!

"Buying a sailboat is not as financially awful as all the old crusty folks will tell you, at least not in my experience. If you find something small, simple, without many flashy things, gizmos (although, if they do come with the boat consider them a bonus perhaps), but also complete, in good enough condition that you will not have to buy a thousand tiny stainless steel parts right away that cost 20 bucks each, and you can anchor somewhere safe, the process will be worth it.

I often heard analogies such as a boat being 'like a black hole that eats money', or 'throwing money into the water', but the truth is, my rent in Vancouver was precisely like flushing 1200 dollars down the toilet each month, whereas my second sailboat, a Wharram Tiki 21 Catamaran at the time, cost me barely nothing more than her physical self ($1500) and her transport to water ($1200), some of which was made back when I sold her. I'm currently terrified by my student loans, and the cost of a degree that hasn't earned me much more salary than my restaurant jobs in the past. I've never regretted the little boats though - they've been worth every penny, every itchy fiberglass moment, every sticky epoxy mess."
dinghydreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 13:37   #32

Boat: sabre 28

Ask these folks for a quote. They hauled my Sabre from Hyannis to my home in NH & it was reasonable.

Maritime Boat Transport and Marina Boatyard Equipment
misfits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 13:51   #33
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"Launch and go" may not be totally crazy even in winter!

The two big considerations are:
1) Is the boat fit to go?
You can ask the local USCG Auxiliary if they can stop by to do a courtesy inspection. If there's anything unsafe or lacking, they'll tell you. If everything is OK they give you a big gold star (OK, just a blue sticker) to put on the boat. Either way, there's NO penalty if anything is lacking.
If the boat seems safe, reliable, well equipped, take it out for an hour or two on a good day to see if that's really so. And if it is...then Boston to the east end of the sound is not a big deal. I'd want 2-3 crew with me, but they can also usually be found. (Along with towing insurance and a working VHF and cell phones.)

2-Some good weather. I know, it is cold out today, but this is not going to be a killer winter. Either plan for a warm couple of days, or put on appropriate cold wx gear and take cold wx sleeping bags.

It won't be a Sunday cruise...but for two grand? Hell no, unless there's major work to be done on the boat, sailing or motoring it down should be something to think about.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 13:52   #34

Boat: Nassau 34

Give these guys a call, their located in New Bedford Mass. I brought my boat at their yard, sailed it down in the fall but they have a couple of hydraulic trucks and trailers - seem to now what their doing.

Bayline Inc. Boatyard & Transport: Hauling & Crane Service
Old 26-01-2016, 07:18   #35

Boat: Lots of boats.

Maybe I wasn't reading this closely, but if you haven't already purchased a boat, you might look to buying a boat in the NJ or MD areas. No kidding, I have seen boats that could be sailed the same day literally given away. What do you get with a "free" boat? Sometimes a horror of mold and rotten wood and a seized engine. But often a nice boat with good rigging and sails and a decent running engine that just needs cleaned up and painted. Sailing it up to NY is no problem. Just ask on the forum and you will find lots of people that will crew for expenses (gas/food). Basically a long weekend of adventure for many. BTW, have fun! Boat cheaply and you will enjoy sailing more IMHO. Buy a new boat and everyone has to wear socks. Buy a used boat and come as you are!
hsi88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shipping