Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-01-2011, 09:23   #16

Boat: Currently boatless
We used craigslist, then a yard sale and then freecycle. If you have freecycle in your area it is a great way to get rid of the near-junk.

Minutes after our yard sale I posted a note on freecycle saying "all leftovers free" and went outside and removed the few valuable items and put them in the garage. By the next morning my driveway was completely empty.
Livia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2011, 09:57   #17

Boat: 1970 23' O'day pop-top
For a garage sale ya gotta -advertize and use lots of signs on nearby highways, sell cheap and negotiate everything down till it does, what's left, nobody wants.

Take a walk around Goodwill and see how they basiclly give stuff away.
kenny chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2011, 10:36   #18

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHiker View Post
You mean like a physical auction in town? That's a great idea. I'll have to call some smaller auction houses, and see what the cost/process is. Thanks.
We are using these people to close out an estate ...Moving Services For Seniors

I'm not sure if their territory extends down to Georgia but if not they may be able to recommend someone. They auction off EVERYTHING, even the stuff you would just junk or donate, so you get a little something.
Old 16-01-2011, 03:04   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
We are using these people to close out an estate ...Moving Services For Seniors

I'm not sure if their territory extends down to Georgia but if not they may be able to recommend someone. They auction off EVERYTHING, even the stuff you would just junk or donate, so you get a little something.

How did they auction everything off? Was it an on site, at your house auction, or at local weekly auction, or Ebay type auction? That's an interesting service (wonder if I have to be a senior to use them?)

I may have to give them a call Tuesday and see if they have anyone in Georgia.
SouthernHiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2011, 03:12   #20

In England we have a thing called "Car boot sales" where you pack everything into your car, drive to the sale area and pay £10 for a pitch and then sell everything out of the back of your car

Is there anything similar near you?

Car Boot Sales - Manchester

Bowlers Car Boot Sale
mintyspilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2011, 03:28   #21

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHiker View Post
How did they auction everything off? Was it an on site, at your house auction, or at local weekly auction, or Ebay type auction? That's an interesting service (wonder if I have to be a senior to use them?)

I may have to give them a call Tuesday and see if they have anyone in Georgia.
They take photos of everything on sight, then sell it using an local Ebay-type on-line auction. Everything stays where it is and once the auction is over, which takes about a week, a couple days are scheduled for the buyers to pick it all up. They cater to seniors but will handle anyone downsizing I imagine as long as there is enough potential commission involved for their efforts.
Old 16-01-2011, 05:06   #22

Boat: CSY 44 w/o hull# 158 S/V Leighward
look at the thread i started a year ago How Did You Downsize Before Moving Aboard ? I know it seems like a daunting task, but you will get it all sold or give it away.....it's only stuff any how!!!!!
Old 16-01-2011, 06:22   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintyspilot View Post
In England we have a thing called "Car boot sales" where you pack everything into your car, drive to the sale area and pay £10 for a pitch and then sell everything out of the back of your car

Is there anything similar near you?

Car Boot Sales - Manchester

Bowlers Car Boot Sale
In Georgia, US we call them Flea Markets. People load up their trucks and pay a set fee to have an area or table. (Flea Markets b/c they are outside and your dogs can come with you, or you can buy one there, along with a chicken, a goat, and a shotgun.
SouthernHiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2011, 07:01   #24
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergovoy View Post
i gave away most of my stuff, and what i 'sold' was basically for ten cents on the dollar.

my biggest issue in this process was timing.. I wanted to hold on to stuff for as long as possible before the move and that cant work, and i ended up selling stuff and living out of boxes/suitcases for the last month.

i have my home theater stuff to sell and a couple things to donate to goodwill and i am done... I will know i have gotten rid of enuf as i will need to move everything to florida via my chevy blazer, so if it fits into my blazer i am guessing it will fit onto my boat, and i will be having a public storage unit for my documents...
LOL.... you make it sound like a 'Blazer' full of Documents and a coupla suitcases on the front seat....
The only 'Doc's' I carry are Qualifications/Licence's/Passport/Ships papers.... but then I've seen the hassle involved in moving States when I helped a friend move from Vermont to NC... could not believe it was the same country... easier moving in Europe from one country to another...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2011, 07:11   #25
cruiser

i have medical records, birth records, school records, and my daughters records, my tax records, they will all go into a public storage place...not sure why, i need all the school records and daughter stuff... if i cant go thru them and look at them then why keep them?
Bergovoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2011, 07:26   #26

Boat: Tartan 30
I'd go through everything, throw out anything more than a certain age (up to you, maybe 5 years or so), then go through what is left a second time... decide if you'll ever need to produce a copy, if not toss it... if so, decide if you can get it from the source when needed? doctor, schools, lawyers etc... can all get them their selves as needed.

for the stuff you really need to keep (hopefully this won't be much!), have it all scanned and stored on flash drives and/or DVD's. You can do that at any kinko's

I'd say a self-storage facility is not the safest place to store important stuff anyway. If you really must store documents and photos or whatever else, hopefully you can find a family member to keep it in their attic or something like that.
Old 16-01-2011, 07:34   #27
cruiser

thanks, but as of a few months ago, i have no family left... just a daughter who hasnt figured stuff out yet...

and yea, i hate the idea of putting stuff into public storage, but... putting everything onto CD isnt quite the same thing as looking and holding a picture of me and my daughter.... but then again, if the picture or whatever is in a box, i wont be looking at it anyways...

and it would take effing forever to scan everything... and or cost a ton...

not sure what to do... but will figure it out... this isnt my thread, so I will let it get back to the OP
Bergovoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2011, 07:43   #28
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
i married the wrong man and he took all to his own --lol-- was a tough go but i dont have a lot of stuff to weed thru.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2011, 07:45   #29

I don't know where you are in Georgia, but I've had people drive 1.5 hours out from Atlanta just to look at stuff I've put on craigslist. I live at Lake Oconee. When I took off cruising a few years back, it took several months to get rid of everything. I remember taking truckloads to the goodwill store in Charleston. We had two houses full of stuff. By the time we left, I could put my entire life in 1.5 cars!
getlostonpurpose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2011, 08:46   #30

As you downsize keep in mind ;
A. You havent found a boat yet,so dont get rid of everything prematurely
B. When you do locate a boat it will take 3 x as long as you estimate to prep it
C. It will likely cost 3x as much as your best estimate
D. You'll be 3 x as happy you did it when you finally get going

As far as stuff , if your not making headway selling pickup the news paper and you can usually find someone who has lost everything to a house fire. I came across someone in that situation and the feeling of helping them get back on their feet was worth way more then a few hundred bucks of used stuff. Plus its good mojo/karma
chadlaroche is offline   Reply With Quote