Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-07-2014, 03:54   #1

Boat: Catalina 36
Selling a boat in New Zealand

I may be selling my boat in a few years, and have heard that prices in New Zealand are much higher than in the states. I was planning on cruising the rest of the pacific from Hawaii anyway. Does anyone know if there is truth to the scuttlebutt I have heard about selling in New Zealand being much more profitable? If so please provide some direction on where I can get some more information.

Tide Roller

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Tide Roller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2014, 04:39   #2

Boat: crowther trimaran 33
Re: Selling a boat in New Zealand

The price may be higher, but the New Zealand way of doing things is also a lot more painful. Did you consider Australia?
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2014, 05:22   #3

Boat: a sailing boat

Browse trademe. Google out some brokers.

I did not notice their prices to be higher (back in say 2006) but things may have changed meanwhile.

You will have to import the boat up first and if she is of (locally) odd design then the NZ buyer will have to put her thru full stability tests and provide full technical documentation. This all creates a pretty difficult situation for a non-NZ design.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2014, 06:28   #4

Boat: Catalina 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
The price may be higher, but the New Zealand way of doing things is also a lot more painful. Did you consider Australia?

I have thought of Australia as well. I was really just spitballing to see if there is a profitable place to sell that could also work as a great cruising destination. What are the perks of Australia?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Tide Roller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2014, 07:28   #5

Boat: 2002 Catana 471

I sold my boat in Sydney, Australia in 2008. That time you got about the same amount of Dollars in both countries. The exchange rate of the AUD is better than the NZD. But best would be an offshore sale where you sign the contract in international waters. No need to import the boat and no import duty and taxes.
Travelaxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2014, 10:27   #6

Crew.org.nz • View topic - Who is going to buy our yachts and at what price?
Scottuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2014, 13:37   #7

Boat: Mason 53

G'day, Mate. I have been in New Zealand for well over a decade now. Prices of boats are actually declining. Remember, we only have roughly 4.5 million people down here and despite the fact a very high percentage of those people like to sail, we lack the financing for people to own boats. Folks in New Zealand have much higher mortgage debt (the prices of homes are at least 4 times higher than in the U.S.). Ad in the fact, that like most western countries, people are aging and wishing to sell off their boats.

So, my input, sail down to New Zealand if you want to enjoy our wonderful crusing grounds and lifestyle. Don't come here just to sell a boat. Do some research, view Trademe.co.nz as suggested above to back up my my view. Just remember, you may see what you think are high prices there, but the boats are not selling.

All the best with your eventual plan. If you want a nice, liveaboard, center cockpit yachtthat has been well maintained, send me a private message. I can point you in the right direction ;-) Cheers.
matauwhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
New Zealand