Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-06-2017, 20:45   #61

Boat: Kelley-Peterson 46 cutter
Re: Sellers Beware - Criminal Trespass

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Quite a blanket indictment against brokers. is that all brokers in the world or just brokers in Florida?

FYI several, very nice, honest and ethical members of this forum are brokers. I was a yacht broker for several years and find your remark quite insulting.
It was a blanket statement. And there are many honest yacht brokers with integrity. Just as there are many honest, ethical yacht surveyors.
It only takes a few bad apples to spoil the whole barrel.

It spoils it for all when a brokers' association turns a blind eye to questionable behavior, like described above.
KP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2017, 20:58   #62
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Did I miss it or after 61 posts we still have not heard what the broker had to say for himself ?

I'm starting to get a little skeptical of this one sided story. The broker has been blamed but all we know for sure is the buyer put stuff on the boat. Seems a big assumption that the broker told them this was ok.
Old 29-06-2017, 21:12   #63

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Quite a blanket indictment against brokers. is that all brokers in the world or just brokers in Florida?

FYI several, very nice, honest and ethical members of this forum are brokers. I was a yacht broker for several years and find your remark quite insulting.

Also, the OP is quite correct in that there could be serious legal and financial risk to having the potential buyer move onto the boat before the deal is closed and that risk falls mainly on the seller.
I hope you will be naming the honest Florida brokers who are not on this forum. [Just kidding, I am sure there are many, but it seems there may be many who are not. Do not know any Florida broker of either kind from personal experience.]

As to your assessment of risk and where it falls, that is only true if the seller gave permission. If not they probably have recourse.
Old 29-06-2017, 21:30   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzstar View Post
I hope you will be naming the honest Florida brokers who are not on this forum. [Just kidding, I am sure there are many, but it seems there may be many who are not. Do not know any Florida broker of either kind from personal experience.]

As to your assessment of risk and where it falls, that is only true if the seller gave permission. If not they probably have recourse.
The broker I had in Florida was extremely helpful. She went so far as to offer to help me with another boat that was for sale by owner because she knew it was my first major boat buy & she didn't want me to be taken advantage of for free! In the end I went with her as a buyer's broker on a boat that was out of state...put me on some surveyors & then said talk to this one last,I chose that one..when boat was on the lift being looked at one of the other Captains asked me how I got hooked up with that surveyor & in the same breath he said he was one of the best in the area & that Captain didn’t know me or have anything to do with the deal,he was there for another boat....so just got lucky I guess! My broker drove me around to look at boats she knew I wasn't into just to show me the difference & what was out there for the money....so they are not ALL bad.... I didn't drop a name but if someone wants one that I think actually cared about what I was doing and is a fellow Cruiser...pm me, I don't think it's proper to put someone's name on a page like this even if it's for a good purpose
Kita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2017, 07:06   #65
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by KP44 View Post
It was a blanket statement. And there are many honest yacht brokers with integrity. Just as there are many honest, ethical yacht surveyors.
Well which one is it? A blanket statement means all brokers yet you say in the next sentence that there are good brokers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KP44 View Post
It only takes a few bad apples to spoil the whole barrel.
That could apply to any group. Three times over the years I have had stuff stolen from my boat by cruisers but doesn't justify me saying all cruisers are thieves.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2017, 08:22   #66

Boat: Camano Troll

"Criminal Trespass" ? Seriously? Are you going to call the police? Press charges?

I say you are making a mountain out of a molehill at best. Relax, let it go. The boat is sold.
Old 30-06-2017, 09:02   #67

Boat: Symbol Pilot House 52

what has happened Yado? this is a matter that all need to be aware of. new owners don't own till check is in your account And they don't get to act like an owner till they own- liability and all the rest of the responsiblities.
who fixes the head when they use it accidently?
skippy is offline   Reply With Quote