Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-10-2012, 23:20   #1

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,
Sea boots and footwear for a wide foot?

By now, I've collected some pretty decent foulies -- except for my poor feet. They're happiest in about a 10 extra-wide (EEEE) (USA men's sizing/~44 Euro) -- maybe because a lot of my childhood was barefooted or in sandals and even regular wide shoes tend to get deformed and worn out.

What I never really see is anyone making a sea boot or deck shoe for really wide feet. Does anybody do so? Would I dare hope for extra marine footwear that's durable and a decent value?
Old 30-10-2012, 23:33   #2

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
http://www.kingsizedirect.com/

While they may not have exactly what you want, they do have large size shoes.

Good luck! (your problem sounds like a blessing, with my 16 5E feet)
Old 30-10-2012, 23:39   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30
Re: Sea boots and footwear for a wide foot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgscpat View Post
By now, I've collected some pretty decent foulies -- except for my poor feet. They're happiest in about a 10 extra-wide (EEEE) (USA men's sizing/~44 Euro) -- maybe because a lot of my childhood was barefooted or in sandals and even regular wide shoes tend to get deformed and worn out.

What I never really see is anyone making a sea boot or deck shoe for really wide feet. Does anybody do so? Would I dare hope for extra marine footwear that's durable and a decent value?
I am in much the same position, except it is not the width, it is the size 15 I can't find. A few years ago I found some insulated size 15 rubber boots in a small town in the middle of the prairie. It's the best I can do... they have to do for winter and boat.

Guess you have to hope you stumble across something similar. I found mine in a blue collar workwear store.
Old 31-10-2012, 00:22   #4

I am in same boat as the OP. I have always wondered if it was because I was barefoot all my childhood and most of the time after that. I find mine in marine supply stores which cater to commercial fisherman.
Richard5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2012, 06:18   #5

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

13 EEEEEE (yep, six Es) here. Unless New Balance makes a sea boot, I'm in trouble, so I will watch this thread with interest.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2012, 06:24   #6

My wife has the opposite problem--narrow feet. Selection is very limited, but we finally found some Sebago boat shoes for her in a narrow width. It's amazing to me how difficult it is to find shoes for feet that are outside of the "norm."
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2012, 22:26   #7

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,

We'll keep looking .... until our "gunboats" come in! Sometime when visiting the coast I'll try looking at chandleries that serve commercial fishermen, and maybe also will try that angle on line.
Old 31-10-2012, 22:31   #8
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Rugged Shark makes a wide that's truly wide. I think the model I use is "Atlantic."
Old 31-10-2012, 22:31   #9

Just looked... Kingsizedirect had something sort of interesting, a "lace up water shoe" reudced to $30 that comes in 11W and 12 extra-wide... close! Also they had some Velcro deck shoes for $35 in 15 and 16 extra-wide -- now that's a good-sized shoe.
Old 31-10-2012, 22:32   #10

Boat: 41' Sail

Quote:

HELLY HANSEN
Men's Helly Welly Sailing Boots are super comfortable. I have wide feet and I can live in these for days. Not cheap at $200.00. Also, Nice height for stacking bibs. Best purchase I have made in a long time
Old 31-10-2012, 23:00   #11

For fun, looking at
Annapolis Performance Sailing, Dubarry Ultima seaboot for $399; the description mentions an extra-wide and says "extra wide sizes available" but the drop-down menu doesn't give a width choice so maybe it needs special handling to order. Some other internet places also seem to have the Dubarry.

wideshoes.com -- they have wide shoes, though inexpensive may be a very different matter. Dunham boat shoes in 4E and 6E in the low $100 range, plus some Gore-Tex and other outdoor hiking boots

Shoebuy.com has some Top-Sider boat shoes and a Sebago in extra wide in the $80 and low-$100 ranges, respectively.

Jeffry -- the $200 Helly Hansens may be inexpensive compared to the $400 Dubarrys! I don't see that they're "officially" extra wide, so it would be great to be able to try on a pair.
Old 31-10-2012, 23:04   #12

Boat: 41' Sail

Quote:
For fun, looking at
Annapolis Performance Sailing, Dubarry Ultima seaboot for $399; the description mentions an extra-wide and says "extra wide sizes available" but the drop-down menu doesn't give a width choice so maybe it needs special handling to order. Some other internet places also seem to have the Dubarry.

wideshoes.com -- they have wide shoes, though inexpensive may be a very different matter. Dunham boat shoes in 4E and 6E in the low $100 range, plus some Gore-Tex and other outdoor hiking boots

Jeffry -- the $200 Helly Hansens may be inexpensive compared to the $400 Dubarrys!

Shoebuy.com has some Top-Sider boat shoes and a Sebago in extra wide in the $80 and low-$100 ranges, respectively.

True dat!!!
Old 31-10-2012, 23:23   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The $400 Dubarrys are available in wide sizes, and are great boots. My foot is size 13 or 14 wide, and the wide Dubarry's are comfortable, grip well, and keep my feet warm and dry. I've essentially lived in these boots without taking them off for days at a time, and compared to my cheap, non-breathng boots, or my average-priced, too long and/or too narrow boots, the Dubarrys were money well spent. If the conditions where you sail are more gentle, you may not need boots like these.

I also liked my under-$200 Sperry Topsider boots, except that they were just too narrow for my feet.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 00:24   #14

Looked up the Rugged Shark Atlantics... leather upper, rubber outsole, 3-eyelet boat shoe, suggested retail $80, Defender has in the regular Wide width for $61.99. (A couple other Rugged Sharks are on clearance there but not in a wide or large size.)