Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2013, 17:58   #16

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: San Diego Marine Surveyor and Mechanic

Screw the bottom feeder. Simply put an offer on the boat contingent on a survey. Have the boat pulled in a yard and have the surveyer you want do the job. It has nothing to do with Slick Willie. Besides...I would think that surveyor could sue for liable.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 20:30   #17

I am Kells Christian, the surveyor mentioned in this thread. A concerned and nice customer alerted me to this site and this thread. It is nice to read the positive comments. I don't understand the broker's explanation of working for insurance companies as disqualifying or conflicting with a pre-purchase survey. Usually this type of broker dissuasion from our business is the result of a lost past deal, blamed on the surveyor. Our company does have a reputation of being thorough (some times described as nit picky), and some brokers prefer an alternate style. I always wonder if they recommend the same surveyor to their clients that they use for their own boats? In a perfect world you would search, find, vet then trust the broker to represent your interests. They would search for a boat and negotiate, etc... But if the broker is found through a listing for a boat, you probably need to protect your own interests. If the broker feels so strongly about the surveyor, so as to pass up the commission rather than allow the surveyor, they may be certain that the survey would lead to the same result. We are available to discuss this further if you wish (619.223.7380) and thanks for your consideration.
kellschristian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 20:46   #18

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Thanx Kells. A broker should never suggest a Surveyor as it is a conflict of interest and could be seen as manipulating a sale. I'm glad there are reputable Surveyors as yourself. I just wish I could say the same for brokers. I have only met 2 that were decent.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 21:50   #19

Boat: Celestial 48

I would like to add that Mr Christian was the surveyor for our boat purchase and that his expert advice was most appreciated. Has my confidence.

Listing broker has no authority whatsoever to ban a surveyor. Should not listen to that nonsense and choose whatever surveyor you want. Surveyor is consultant to buyer on purchase, and works for him only.
Dennis.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 21:57   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis.G View Post
I would like to add that Mr Christian was the surveyor for our boat purchase and that his expert advice was most appreciated. Has my confidence.

Listing broker has no authority whatsoever to ban a surveyor. Should not listen to that nonsense and choose whatever surveyor you want. Surveyor is consultant to buyer on purchase, and works for him only.
Yep. The yacht broker is probably some tool that introduces himself as Captain Dan or some such nonsense.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 22:34   #21

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

All I know is that if a boat broker tells me I can't have the surveyer of my choice, I would first get another broker, Then I would let the state office that controls the trade know, that this broker is useing less then good trade practice! The choice of surveyer, and haul-out location are the buyers choice not the brokers! This guy has something to hide !!!
Old 04-09-2013, 23:05   #22

Boat: Stevens 47 Komaru

I have been a licensed yacht sales person San Diego. I know Kells he is a very thorough surveyor. There are also other excellent surveyors in San Diego. I would make a complaint to the CYBA https://www.cyba.info/ most brokers belong to that organization.

Jack
Stevens 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:58   #23

Boat: Hudson Force 50
I can recommend Jack Buckley. He is an excellent Broker and a person you can rely on.
He is the manager of ENSIGN Yachts in San Diego.

I just bought our Yacht from him and he became a good friend.

We chooses WC for the survey. He did a good job.
ZERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:29   #24

thanks all for you help. I will be in contact with Kells and go from there.
I wish I could contact the boat owner to let them know where we stand, but who knows, maybe he'll end up on this thread too!
ShayW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 15:30   #25

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

ShayW, it may be that the owner is aware of a problem that he would prefer remain hidden to most, hence the action by his agent, the broker. I suspect you were lucky to have had this experience. There are lots of great boats out there. Keep looking.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 17:09   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Rondo Normal View Post
Well I understand what you're saying and that it is not a perfect world that we live and buy boats in BUT the bottom line is that the listing broker has nothing to do with the surveyor. It's the buyers responsibility to protect himself from the seller and the seller's broker by hiring an independant consultant to inspect and advise him. If the listing broker tries to interfere, there is cause for alarm and I would high tail it out of there asap!
I think we both agree. My only issue is I have dealt with Kells and KNOW they are respected and not selling their professionalism in any way.

I probably should have been clearer to state the the broker must be FOS (as per Zeehag, I do not know the broker personally) and the broker should not be trying to keep a good surveyor away. I would understand though, if a broker did not want some clown that had no credentials and was incompetent running about pretending to be a surveyor.

So to summarize: The broker is afraid a good surveyor will find something with what he is trying to peddle. So RUN FROM THIS DISHONEST/UNPROFESSIONAL BROKER.
h20man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 18:28   #27

Boat: PT-11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShayW View Post
I wish I could contact the boat owner to let them know where we stand, but who knows, maybe he'll end up on this thread too!
If the boat is documented, search its name on the vessel documentation center search page. If you find, it it will give ownership info.
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 18:32   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVNeko View Post
If the boat is documented, search its name on the vessel documentation center search page. If you find, it it will give ownership info.
Brilliant suggestion. Here is a link to the documentation center search page:

Coast Guard Vessel Search

Best of luck.
h20man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 21:13   #29

Boat: Stevens 47 Komaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by h20man View Post
Brilliant suggestion. Here is a link to the documentation center search page:

Coast Guard Vessel Search

Best of luck.
Tread very carefully here. Birds of a feather seem to flock together. The seller may not appreciate being contacted directly. This could work against you while trying to negotiate the particulars of your deal. Given that you will be working with the listing broker regarding deficiencies found through whoever you have do your survey, you may have a tough time getting whats fair.

Most sellers have signed a listing agreement which will obligate them to pay a commission to the broker.

Jack
Stevens 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 03:08   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevens 47 View Post
Tread very carefully here. Birds of a feather seem to flock together. The seller may not appreciate being contacted directly. This could work against you while trying to negotiate the particulars of your deal. Given that you will be working with the listing broker regarding deficiencies found through whoever you have do your survey, you may have a tough time getting whats fair.

Most sellers have signed a listing agreement which will obligate them to pay a commission to the broker.

Jack
Still, a call from the seller saying "What the hell are you doing blocking a buyer from using a surveyor?" would certainly have some weight. The actions of the broker, if they persist, might be breach of contract.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marine, mechanic, paracelle, san diego, survey, surveyor