Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2008, 12:36   #1

Boat: Hunter 26
San Diego Boat Shopping Update

I posted a question to the forum a few weeks ago asking for input on boat purchases in the San Diego area. Well, we made the trip (from Orygun) over Spring break.
I would report that while there are many boats to choose from, prices seemed equivalent to those in the Pacific NW. But if you want a large selection, it’s a good place to go.
I just didn’t see the boat that I couldn’t walk away from. A couple boats that stood out for sure, but nothing (yet) that would warrant getting a boat back up here.
Since I’m the type of person that will start a rampage when things don’t go my way, I also have to give credit where credit is due. So, the rest of this will sound like an advertisement – so you can stop reading here if you want.

On the way down we stopped in at Marina del Rey and met Buzz Stoddard at Sailboats Inc. Buzz took us to see the new Beneteaus. We worked or way up to the 40 footer (I’m 6’ 5” and the 40 was the first one I could stand up in). Nice boat. Very nice boat. And he has a new one coming in June.

The next day, in San Diego, we met Jay Bernstein at Southern California Yacht Sales. Jay spent nearly the entire day with us – determining our needs, gathering listings and showing us seven boats. Headroom was an issue with some again, but we really zeroed in on a Beneteau 46. While almost 10 years old, you could tell this yacht club owner knew how to take care of a boat.

All for now. I’m going back out to the living room to watch it snow. Geez it was nice being down there.
MABell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 13:23   #2

Boat: Sold - Landlocked
Will you be selling your Columbia 36 then?

clausont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 14:31   #3

Boat: Hunter 26
Columbia 36

Our columbia 36 is currently for sale.
It's a partnership boat.
I would buy out the others, but again - I can't stand up in it.
MABell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 16:03   #4

Boat: Islander Freeport 36
Our broker works for Southern California Yacht Cales too (Dorothy Allen), and we would use her again.
JiffyLube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 14:32   #5

Boat: Mason 33 and a Nordic Folkboat (wooden)
We used Yachtfinders/WindSeakers and worked with Leslie and Jack. Leslie has circumnavigated twice and has a very pragmatic view of what you do and don't need in a cruising boat. Jack is an incredible craftsman and is in the midst of one of those extensive rebuilds that essentially produces a whole new boat. Between the two of them, all our questions and concerns were answered, and I found them to be very honest. You can tell them Terri from the Mason 33 sent you.

Tags
san diego, shopping