Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-08-2010, 09:07   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Matt, do come back to us and let us know how it works out.

More importantly is the boat and to stop it deteriorating. Have you got it dry inside? was it fresh or saltwater?

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2010, 09:12   #17

Boat: 1989 50 ft Roberts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Matt, do come back to us and let us know how it works out.

More importantly is the boat and to stop it deteriorating. Have you got it dry inside? was it fresh or saltwater?

Pete
Yes the bilge dry. It sank in fresh water. The boat is now reqistered in my name and I have it in my possession.
Matt sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2010, 10:20   #18
Eternal Member

Boat: Vancouver 36 cutter????
Send a message via Skype™ to capt_douglas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
Admiralty law and salvage rights are two things I hope to evade in my nautical career.
I took courses in Admiralty Law and salvage rights - and I agree 100%. I've got to carry a Lloyds Open Form but hope I never have to use it.
Old 31-08-2010, 10:47   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo
Quote:
Originally Posted by capt_douglas View Post
I took courses in Admiralty Law and salvage rights - and I agree 100%. I've got to carry a Lloyds Open Form but hope I never have to use it.
In some cases, a "no cure, no pay" (such as LOF) can work out very fair to all concerned... BUT a few words of caution:

The advantage is that salvage is not held up by negotiating a contract, and the salvage award is determined by a "neutral" arbitrator. The value of the vessel (as well as cargo) and the difficulty of the salvage are all weighed. Good for an owner/insurance co, in that "soft" groundings and the like are not charged crazy rates.... Some of the assistance towing companies will charge $100/ft for a soft grounding that might involve 20 minutes' work! It is also good for a salvor, in that the job becomes "his" and competitors or other contractors now have to work through him. As mentioned earlier, there is no pay if there is no cure, and awards are based on the salvor's performance... a great motivator for the salvor to complete the salvage efficiently and promptly. If a "Time and Materials" contract is entered, it is in the interest of the salvor to drag his feet, to run up the clock.

The disadvantage is that LOF is not widely understood in the world of small vessels, in that it is a product of Lloyd's and is entirely under British Maritime Law. Vessels NOT insured through Lloyd's or a subsidiary might not be able to use the LOF, and should consult their insurer to confirm coverage AND contractual obligations; it is not uncommon for a small vessel owner to be forced to pay a salvor out of pocket and then seek reimbursement... often at a reduced amount than the actual bill!
Old 31-08-2010, 11:09   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by capngeo View Post
In some cases, a "no cure, no pay" (such as LOF) can work out very fair to all concerned... BUT a few words of caution...
The Lloyds Open Form (LOF) No-Cure-No-Pay salvage contract
http://www.americansalvage.org/contr..._Open_Form.pdf

But, see also
Salvage contracts -The Lloyd's Open Form - No-Cure-No-Pay or fixed price contract

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2010, 12:32   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Matt,

If you have the boat registered then you certainly have the title or a screwed up registration. In any case if you have the title and are happy to have the then you might want to start posting in some of the other sections about getting the boat cleaned for some fun. It still has a lot of work left to complete. The fresh water advantage is perhaps the biggest thing in your favor. Drying it out and preventing mold / mildew would be urgent.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2010, 13:01   #22

Boat: 1989 50 ft Roberts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais View Post
Matt,

If you have the boat registered then you certainly have the title or a screwed up registration. In any case if you have the title and are happy to have the then you might want to start posting in some of the other sections about getting the boat cleaned for some fun. It still has a lot of work left to complete. The fresh water advantage is perhaps the biggest thing in your favor. Drying it out and preventing mold / mildew would be urgent.
I have had fans running inside for a month, just in case I got to keep her.
"Dusty" would best describe the inside, with a spattering of dried minnows. One of the lift bags put a crack in the deck, that has since been repaired.
Thanks for all the advice.
Matt sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 10:12   #23

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,
FWIW, the closest I've heard of to this situation is the much simpler case in which people don't pay their slip fees or dry storage rental payments. The way it works in our state is that the marina or lot owner sends (registered or certified) notifications and immobilizes the boat. Then, after a certain period of time with no response, the marina or lot owner can get title to the boat from the motor vehicle department.
rgscpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 11:22   #24
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"their slip fees or dry storage rental payments."
Under typical US state laws, that would be addressed by a "storage lien" or "warehouseman's lien". Same as a mechanic's lien, it can be used to attach property and typically to attach titled property (cars & boats) and force title assignment. The details will vary from state to state.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
salvage