Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 15-09-2008, 09:46   #16

Boat: in between
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchesley View Post
You can run but you can't hide and eventually the mere challenge of keeping 'the Man' at bay becomes to time consuming and tiring. Roll over, pay the tax, sleep well...
Surrender taxes without a fight and no complaint? You, my friend, are either an englishman by birth or just plain un-American.

Old 15-09-2008, 10:27   #17

Boat: Irwin Citation 38
Minimizing sales tax

Dan,

I don't know about the other gulf states, but if you bring the boat to Texas, you will have to pay 6.25% sales/use tax to register your USCG documented boat, assuming you don't have a sales tax receipt from another state. In Texas you are required to register and have a registration sticker on your boat even thought it is documented. This is a relatively recent (last few years) requirement.

As others have pointed out, in the states without sales tax look out for ad valorem (property) taxes that might be levied against the boat because it is in the state.

Another big consideration for you should also be the cost of the slip, and insurance cost. These may vary quite a bit from place to place.

regards,

Don W.

Old 15-09-2008, 11:43   #18

Boat: Defever 41 "Bear Holiday"
Send a message via Skype™ to hanschristian38
New Hampshire

New Hanpshire has no sales tax. I documented my boat in New Hampshire and maintained a mailing address there.
Old 15-09-2008, 18:47   #19

Boat: Sunbeam, 37, Ziamar
It's not so much not paying taxes as it is not paying taxes twice. If you purchase the boat in one state and then register (not title) in another you'd best be sure that the two states know what each other is doing!! And in our case it gets worse because Puerto Rico, though part of the US, does things in their own strange and wonderful ways. I've been bit before!

Bill
Old 15-09-2008, 19:15   #20

Boat: Maine Cat 41
Goshea
Do you own a boat? I'm betting you paid your taxes on it! It's not that one can't fight the good fight. It's that 'winning' comes with a cost of its own. Believe me, I delayed and worked it as long as I could. The challenge comes when one stays too long in any given jurisdiction. I, for one, chose the 'jurisdiction' (Wa State) over the 'fight'. Life goes on and I sleep well. Don't confuse pragmatism for 'giving up'.
Old 16-09-2008, 08:15   #21

taxes

gettinthere,

If you notice when I spoke of Florida, I said "register" not "title". All boats in Florida waters more than 90 days are require to register with the state.
If you are not documented you will be titled.
If you have not paid sales taxes in another state, you will be required to pay state sales taxes.
If you are a documented boat, you will be required to display the registration decal. In Florida if you are boarded by state officals( in some places this is fairly often) you are required to show proof of registration and documentation, unless you can prove you have been in state waters less than 90 days. There is a 90 day grace period to transit their waters, after that you will be fined.
phillip
Old 16-09-2008, 08:31   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Just in case anyone is following all this without confusion. Don't forget the dinghy!

It's another boat and needs it's own registration as it is not US Documented under any situation. Many times if you don't have a motor it requires no additional state registration but adding a motor makes it another boat subject to all the same rules. You don't get a two for one on a dinghy.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2008, 09:27   #23

Boat: in between
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchesley View Post
Goshea
Do you own a boat? I'm betting you paid your taxes on it!
I'm just across the Columbia River from you, cchesley, so don't pay a sales OR property tax on my boats. My wife and I are looking at the possibility of moving across the river after we buy our cruiser (8-12 mos from now) so we can cut out the state income tax. What are your thoughts on that option? Worth it?

I have paid taxes and I will die. No denying either of those. However, I will not go gently into that dark night, my friend. I rage against the dying of the light. (forgive me, Mr. Thomas; however, I celebrate your sympathies!)
Old 16-09-2008, 19:35   #24

Boat: 83 27' hunter "SALTY DAWG"
one of these days i am going to hang out on the fuel dock and collect receipts, then sell for 5 bucks to those who need to "prove" they where out of state for tax reasons
Old 16-09-2008, 20:17   #25

Boat: Easterly 36 Aft Cabin
IIRC I paid a usage tax in MO. No sales tax, no registration for my documented boat.
Old 16-09-2008, 22:57   #26

Boat: Maine Cat 41
Well, I paid my Maine State sales tax on my boat just to be able to keep it there all summer after purchase. I would have l had to leave within 30 days otherwise. It sounded foolish to pay over $20 grand just for my summer cruise. But...

I left Maine and headed south, hadn't registered the dink. pblais is right. Florida was hot on the dinghy registration deal. So I used it lightly and 'beat the man' for a couple months. Vero Beach was rolling the dice though.

Shipped the boat to Victoria BC and entered Canada and thence to Wa State. Went the cruising permit route with periodics renewals. It gained me 6 months. So now I knew I had to deal with the local man.

In CA, if after a year elsewhere, (term fluxuates depending on who controls their legislature), and after you've paid the sales tax elsewhere, you're home free. Of course, as a previous CA resident, CA wanted their cut. I had to 'prove' I hadn't brought my boat into Ca in the first year. One method was to register in another state as proof. I hadn't done that. I'd been on the move...

Came to Washington. Let's see, personal property or excise tax $1800 or so annually. Oh, btw, since our local rate where you berth the boat, ( I didn't 'berth' it anywhere as I was transient) but 'today' when you're paying, is some percentage point higher, we want another $13000! I gulped, put my checkbook away and said not today!

Eventually I found it under the sofa cushion(s) but now no boats within a 50 mile radius have ANY change under their cushions!

Moral of the Story: You can beat the tax man but you've got to keep moving. Stop and you're easy prey. (or maybe just cruise in MO)

Tags
taxes

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: