Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2011, 09:42   #61

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Re: Sails and Rigging Made in China

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnorv View Post
Back in the 90's I bought a Lee mainsail, I got what I paid for...luckily it was a boat that sailed poorly in the first place, a Reinell 22 lol. In 2005 we bought a new Genoa, which still shines. I will never use another loft if I can help it. The Loft I recommend is Carol Hasse's, Hasse Sails in Port Townsend Washington, definitely a class act! The owner even brought it 100 miles to the boat and hanked it on herself, and I can't imagine any of their sails being stiched across the ocean.
Here's where Carol Hasse learned to make sails:

Schattauer Sails Inc.

We bought a few from them and the quality and service was top notch.
(Hint) They have a weakness for Chocolate Chip Cookies.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 16:46   #62

Boat: Swan 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moufflon View Post
Hi Mike & anyone who can offer advice

I am in Ao Po Phuket, with my 40' Wood 1981 just found a mast to replace the one we lost overboard, cleaning up removing fittings to paint as anodizing is badly marked... My question is Rigging..need wire, yes, but how to do the end's in Phuket.
Back on subject. Chinese sails, as part of the deal I got a Chinese mainsail with the mast, its well worn, on checking stitching is sound, I will be using it, when, I get my stick up.

RGS///Peter
There is a rigger in boat lagoon. Can't remember his name but on the left hand side as you enter the yard. Has a chandelry. This is the easy, expensive option. The budget way is to get delivered to langkawi from oz.
bewitched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 05:29   #63

Boat: Freewind 40'
Send a message via Skype™ to Moufflon

Hi Bewitched

Thanks for the information !

RGS///Peter
Moufflon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 07:42   #64

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"

Peter,

In Phuket the options are either Rolly Tasker or David (don't recall his last name) who Bewitched mentions above. David has his own business that he runs out of the back of East Marine in Boat Lagoon. His wire is better quality than RT's and will cost about 20% more. He is also a very good rigger if you need any guidance. Terminals are very expensive in Phuket. If it were me I would buy my wire from David and order Hi-mod mechanical ends from the good folks at Riggingonly.com and have them sent to Phuket. If the package is small enough it might escape the notice of the Zopilotes at customs. Another option would be to have them sent to Langkawi (duty free) and pick them up there. That way you can do the rigging yourself and don't have to buy terminals the next time around. Best of luck and hope to see you out sailing soon!

Mike
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 08:31   #65

Boat: Freewind 40'
Send a message via Skype™ to Moufflon

Thanks Mike, will follow up, hope to get down to Langkawi, it was 60 NM north that I lost my rig.

RGS///Peter
Moufflon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 08:58   #66
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
Re: Sails and Rigging made in China.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sww914 View Post
I read an article in a sailing rag a few months ago about sailmaking. Most of the sails from the big companies are made in China. You pay a US company thinking you're getting a made in the US product and it turns out that it's made somewhere else anyway. You don't know unless you know.
True, I toured the Rolly Tasker loft in Phuket, Thailand several years ago and talked to the management. They admitted that several well-known U.S. brands (they named names, but I won't) are actually their sails rebranded.

Nothing wrong with that - those sails are very well made. But why pay the premium when you can order directly from the source at half the price?
Old 07-07-2011, 04:28   #67
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moufflon View Post
Hi Mike & anyone who can offer advice

I am in Ao Po Phuket, with my 40' Wood 1981 just found a mast to replace the one we lost overboard, cleaning up removing fittings to paint as anodizing is badly marked... My question is Rigging..need wire, yes, but how to do the end's in Phuket.
Back on subject. Chinese sails, as part of the deal I got a Chinese mainsail with the mast, its well worn, on checking stitching is sound, I will be using it, when, I get my stick up.

RGS///Peter
Rolly Tasker has everything and it's just around the corner from you.
Old 07-07-2011, 04:36   #68

Boat: Lidgard 50ft performance cat/ Canados50s
Send a message via Skype™ to beneteau-500

came across this article on china made sails which may be of interest to some

http://www.islandplanetsails.com/res...ft_article.pdf
beneteau-500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 07:06   #69

Boat: Tayana 37

I bought a full set of sails from Sails East NW several years ago. They were made in China and shipped to the US, the price after shipping was exactly half the price of locally made sails. Apparently the cloth was from Challenge and the same quality shipped to the US. When they arrived they fitted well and when I sold the boat still looked new.

I would have no hesitation ordering again.
Ancient.Mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 07:29   #70

Boat: Bristol 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
Another option is to sew your own. I sewed my own trysail recently from a Sailrite kit. This is a good option because you can get computerized design, pre-cut pieces, the material you want, and really make sure it is done right. I don't know if I'd want to tackle a complicated racing design made from high-tech sailcloth but for everyday cruising sails you can get a lot for a little if you have the time. It IS time consuming.
I agree that a viable option when money is an issue (an when is it not?) is to sew your own.

I recently made a mainsail for a friend from a Sailrite kit. I did not charge him labor as I wanted the experience. His was in mast furling (more similar to a jib) and the kit cost was under $700. It took me a weekend to make. Compare to $1800+.

My next project will be an 8 ounce fully battened main with three reef points for my boat. Kit cost around $1,000 and probably will require two weekends of labor. Compare to $2,000 retail and I'll have a good sturdy sail with the satisfaction of knowing every single stitch is correct.
rover88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 07:47   #71

Boat: SAGA 27 AK

Quotation from Lee sails for a set made in Shenzen, PRC:

Whether you buy in the US or in Europe, chances are you're buying a Chinese made sail. In this global economy it simply does not make sense to pay double price just so that someone in the middle can take a whopping great cut.

1 pc Short Battened Mainsail of 7.3oz USwt dacron, 40’ luff x 13.2’ foot, with 3 reefs US$1034
1 pc Mainsail Cover of acrylic US$158
1 pc Genoa of 6.4oz USwt dacron, 45’ luff x 13.5’ foot x 42.1’ leech US$781
1 pc Radial Head Drifter of 1.5oz nylon , 43’ luff x 21.76’ girth US$982
1 pc Sock for above drifter US$111
Total, picked up from our Aberdeen office: US$3066 (or HK$23915)

Price Validity: 30 days from offer
Terms: fully paid with order
Completion: about 4 weeks
Old 07-07-2011, 09:15   #72

Boat: a sailing boat

Things well made in China are well made. Ethics and morality aside, no issues.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 09:16   #73
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillum View Post
Quotation from Lee sails for a set made in Shenzen, PRC:

Whether you buy in the US or in Europe, chances are you're buying a Chinese made sail. In this global economy it simply does not make sense to pay double price just so that someone in the middle can take a whopping great cut.

1 pc Short Battened Mainsail of 7.3oz USwt dacron, 40’ luff x 13.2’ foot, with 3 reefs US$1034
1 pc Mainsail Cover of acrylic US$158
1 pc Genoa of 6.4oz USwt dacron, 45’ luff x 13.5’ foot x 42.1’ leech US$781
1 pc Radial Head Drifter of 1.5oz nylon , 43’ luff x 21.76’ girth US$982
1 pc Sock for above drifter US$111
Total, picked up from our Aberdeen office: US$3066 (or HK$23915)

Price Validity: 30 days from offer
Terms: fully paid with order
Completion: about 4 weeks

Last time I checked, Hong Kong Sailmakers is even cheaper, but I cannot personally vouche for the quality.
Old 07-07-2011, 10:39   #74

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Please realize there is a difference between Hong Kong and mainland China. China's claim to Hong Kong is probably only recognized by the Chinese. That said. Many sails now are made in Hong Kong and generally are very good. As far as Chinese quality...I would say that all you need to do is by a few items from Walmart or Harbor Freight to conclude Chinas quality as a whole.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 11:05   #75
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Please realize there is a difference between Hong Kong and mainland China. China's claim to Hong Kong is probably only recognized by the Chinese. That said. Many sails now are made in Hong Kong and generally are very good. As far as Chinese quality...I would say that all you need to do is by a few items from Walmart or Harbor Freight to conclude Chinas quality as a whole.
Well, no, Hong Kong was officially handed over by the British in 1997. It is most definitely part of China, even if it is a "Special Administrative Region." I lived there from 2000-2004 and I can tell you that while it took some time to accept "the bendover" (as it was sometimes jokingly referred), except for a few dyed-in-the-wool colonials, most HK people now consider themselves also Chinese.

Tags
China, rigging, sails, china