Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-07-2010, 19:03   #76
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
Brogan - angry? dont know what you're talking about.
Some of us seem to be confusing "anger" with "hostility." Go back and read SaltyMonkey's post #44, and you'll see classic hostility.

In my opinion, that sort of rhetoric does not belong here on Cruiser's Forum.
Old 20-07-2010, 19:04   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautical62 View Post
I think the trick is to get an inexpensive cruising boat and then find a woman who will spend time on it, not the other way around. MMM - but then again, maybe that's why I'm still single...
You are correct on both points. Select her like any other boat part: what does she add to the experience.

I'm permanently single too, So there's no constant bickering on my boat. Smiles all the time
Old 20-07-2010, 19:08   #78
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
troppo do you have any idea how friggin' lucky you are? Here i am saving mega $$$ to be able to buy a boat to sail to australia and you are there already in that beautiful water with a wonderful low maintenance yacht. How many other hopes on the other side of the world are storing cans in their mega expensive floating sail machines wasting $$$ on watermakers and other foolish contraptions to get there and you have mastered the place for a pinch of the price of these fools.

Hats off to you!
Old 20-07-2010, 19:19   #79

Boat: No boat, looking again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb79 View Post
if i'm rich (which i think i am - making 3x the median income in the richest country on earth makes me, in my opinion pretty damn well off) does that mean all you guys are too?

if not, how the hell is that possible?
How is it possible? Some of us just struggle, Kb79. You can see from the pic that my current boat is way too small. I need a bigger one but just have to cope with what I have for the time being.

Old 20-07-2010, 19:30   #80

Boat: 1984 CS 36
fellow cruisers:

there's been a lot of judgement (skepticism? opinion at the very least...) regarding our decision to cruise before we're as financially ready as we could be. since i've been pretty open on other fronts, i'll be open here as well. saltymonkey's interest not withstanding

there are basically five big considerations that are pushing us to leave:

1. as mentioned, there's the kid thing. people have pointed out that we could either wait until returning or have kids before leaving. both are true, however: the wife is absolutely 100% excited and into the trip right now. she may still feel the same way after we have kids, but she may not. i've seen lots of buddies who's lives change DRASTICALLY after kids (actually, i have yet to see any who's lives haven't...), and i think the chances that my wife's eagerness to set out for places unknown with our three year old range from somewhat possible to unlikely. so, having kids before we leave isn't the plan. we could just postpone everything a year, but she's already a little uncomfortable about the age thing. personally i think we'll be fine but i don't want to push her. if there was some issue (infertility, down's syndrome or other), i don't want to have wondered if the extra year made a difference. it may or may not be what each of you would do, but that's where we land on it.

2. i work days and my wife works nights. this results in an unacceptable amount of time apart and it's stressing the marriage (i'm home now and quite literally passed her in the hall as she headed out). changing the schedule would mean a career change for her. possible, yes, but not a slam dunk call when we're talking about leaving (either soon or in a year from soon). the reality of the lives we're currently living is a little depressing, and it's time for that to change.

3. the company i work for is in the process of being acquired. it's possible that i'll be offered a job with the new company or possible that i'll be let go. if i'm let go, then we could actually end up eating into our savings rather than adding to it while i look for a new job in this economy. it makes more sense (to me) to leave. i think it's also a more straightforward story to tell a future employer when i get back.

4. my family's pretty unconventional - my dad went to a prestigious college, got a high paying advertising job in manhattan and then quit with $900 in his pocket, hitchhiked to alaska, built a house in the middle of nowhere and is a happier man for it. i've both got a little familial pressure (he's not impressed by the 9-5 gig and has been encouraging me strongly to make a life change for awhile now) and an example of a life that can turn out wonderfully when conventional considerations are abandoned in favor of pursuing one's dreams.

5. i had a cancer scare about six months ago. after two MRI's, i've been assured that i'm not actually dying but the experience shook me up a little. planning for the future's all well and good, but there's a certain amount of uncertainty inherent in life, and i want to seize this opportunity while i can.

all that adds up to incentives for leaving that outweigh the pressure to pay off a $10K credit card bill, at least for me. i respect everyone's prerogative to accept whatever financial risk they're comfortable with, and for us where we are now, it's more important to pursue this dream now with whatever uncertainty that brings than to wait for the money to catch up.

sorry for the long posting, but people seemed to be wondering.

again, still not looking for advice (at least on that front), but that's a little more of the back story for those who might be curious.
Old 20-07-2010, 19:31   #81
cruiser

Holy @#@## That could feed me for a whole week!
Old 20-07-2010, 19:33   #82

When the fish get that size you are smart to fillet on the beach. Wait a sec! There's no way you could have paddled with that fish aboard.

As far as the 'rich' subject goes. It's obvious out here that it's not the money, it's the relentless pursuit of a goal. Which is far more demanding than earning money, which it's equally obvious any fool can do.
Old 20-07-2010, 19:40   #83

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1
Just do an informal bankruptcy, take the cash and run!
Get enough to stay gone for 7 years and you can rebuild your credit when you get back. The student loans can come out of your tax returns later.
OK, really bad advice but it sounds kind of good doesn't it?
I've done what you did, I blew so much damned money I wouldn't ever want to add it up. Restaurants and auto racing were my 2 evils, I can't believe how many hours I spent working so that I could support my local restaurants and my racing habit. I'm better now. Pinching every penny for the boat kitty. It isn't bad, no guilt at all this way. Beans & rice are good with everything! Lunch out today, big splurge. $1.99 for a hot dog and a soda, I forgot my lunch at home.
I can feel good about $1.99.
Old 20-07-2010, 19:44   #84
cruiser

1) have your kid on the road. i would.

2) That will probably change because of...(next #)

3) Its also very possible you will get a severance package or (other side) signing bonus.

4) Live in the moment, but make sure your Buddhist ducks are in a row about "craving"

The blue bus is waiting for us...
Old 20-07-2010, 19:46   #85
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sww914 View Post
Just do an informal bankruptcy, take the cash and run!
Rules and the game have changed SWW. They will take your "income", not your taxes. and it will follow you for 10 years now. Pay off the CC. The student loan you can defer for 2 years.
Old 20-07-2010, 19:52   #86

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1
I think you're a tax expert or financial advisor, IIRC, I'm sure your advice is much better than mine.
Old 20-07-2010, 20:03   #87

Boat: Swan 57
Kb79... Until you lose the debt load, you're just "pretending to be rich."

Save up, pay cash... Playing "Mother may I" with a bank is no fun, and you'd be surprised at the discounts you can negotiate when you can afford "one easy payment."

Ditch the credit cards, highest interest first... then kill the student loans. Do a simple compound interest calculation on your debt load. (How much more are you paying for having it now?)

I busted my ass, saved my money for a couple of years... and now I'm 33 (2 years older than you?) and have a 57' Swan (new engine, tanks, paint, rig, sails, 'tronics, batteries, etc, etc.) that's completely paid for. My patience was rewarded when the economy crapped out last year. I had a pile of cash when everyone else was in debt up to their eyeballs... I straight stole this boat from a fool who was (and probably still is) under a mountain of debt - you guessed it - pretending to be rich.

I'm not rich, but I sure can fake it.
Old 20-07-2010, 20:05   #88
cruiser

Jallum. Good attitude. It will serve you.

But, alas...it may be too late for KB79. Once his Admiral has a mind to go, there's no delay and no turning back.

If KB gets laid off, he might be able to continue the rogue of unemployment benefits. With that and some of his severance pay off the CC. Consolidating his loans to US gov might allow for 2 year deferment. The rest he can somehow earn along the way (we hope).
Old 20-07-2010, 20:30   #89

Boat: Swan 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
Jallum. Good attitude. It will serve you.
Thanks, bud. I give grandpa and his horror stories about the depression full credit.

Quote:
But, alas...it may be too late for KB79. Once his Admiral has a mind to go, there's no delay and no turning back.
I dunno. If having no time together is the root of the stress... He makes enough that he could certainly cover the load while the wife finds another gig with better hours, even if that means lower pay. With a synchronized work schedule, quality-time can be spent working together to improve the boat (their new home, really) while work-time goes toward paying it off.
Old 20-07-2010, 20:35   #90

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
What if they find out that living "together" ain't so good?
Closed Thread