Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-09-2019, 01:35   #1

Sailing charter owner courses?

Talking with a few friends of mine who work in some pretty skilled service industry jobs including culinary were talking and we started wondering about running a charter cat.
So I'm curious how all this works I'd love to put some time and effort into researching this.

So myself and my fiance as well as others that were talking about this would all love to live aboard full time.
Easier said then done got it.

What rates are owners given when they contract with either a catered sailing company or just entertaining guests on our boat what percentage of the fees go to the owner/crew?
I know just buying a cat and renting it when not in use helps mitigate costs but that's not what I'm looking for.

Say I buy a nice production cat.
250k to a mil for arguments sake.
If me as a owner is on full time and a skilled crew.
What kinds annual income does that bring in.
I know.
Wildly subjective.
But let's say I buy a cruise ready say leopard 40+
Have a team and go to do charter and whatever else I can muster up.
What can I expect as yearly income?
To a "ish" degree.

I could just buy a owners version and call it a day but od I buy a cat designed for charter coil me and a team of say 2 or 3 others make enough in 4-6 months a year to cover maintenance costs?
Or what kind of temperament should one expect on a 40ish foot cat the owner working as well.

So lol , my question
Are there any schools or courses or just good companies that help you navigated that process of commercial ownership of a yacth ?
Something even introductory about choosing a brokerage maybe.
Or iam I stuck trying to figure out on my own how it works.
Happy to try and fail.
I know when buying a cat you want it surveyed.

Is there a charter equivalent of this type of position.

Like can I hire someone to survey my boat and give me a accurate range on what I should ask for pricing a charter boat?

Rant over
Even if not entirely related I appreciate any knowledge regardless of what it is.
Pyroprone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2019, 01:41   #2

Re: Sailing charter owner courses?

Sorry it 4am but I got thoughts and questions lol.
So as far as the rant above go.
Are there any generic. Guidlines. For what charter to not earning "ratio" is needed for break even.
So 40% of days we are hired hypothetically
What percent of my yearly bills for the boat does that cover.

Is the a desired percent(other then 100) of time per year that a yacth is charted out to make it "profitable"
Goals not to make money it's how close can I get to maintaining itself as best as possible.
Pyroprone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2019, 07:52   #3

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40
Re: Sailing charter owner courses?

IMHO - If you want to enjoy boating, don't make it your profession. Think about this. If you want to run crewed charters you're going to become the "servant" and cater to every whim. Some guests will be delightful and some will be seriously disrespectful or you and your property. You will have to smile through it all. Any argument, request denied or delayed, no matter how unreasonable the guest may be, is subject to possible scornful online reviews.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charter, sail, sailing