Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2010, 07:56   #16

Boat: Brewer 44
Thanks everyone! These replies really help - I think we will definitely get some liability insurance, and we'll just go from there...I have read about cruisers who just purchase 'temporary' insurance when they get in port...(actually, just heard about this is mexico...) so maybe that is an option if we need it...anyway, thank you all for your help and advice! Very much appreciated!
Old 04-08-2010, 13:15   #17

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Mexico is a whole different kind of thing. Mexico requires that you have insurance from a Mexican Company in Mexico. So your insurance broker outside Mexico can arrange for Mexican coverage for you or you can wait until you get there and then purchase the Mexican insurance.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 15:27   #18
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
You will need liability insurance in order to stay in most marinas and boatyards inside the USA.
I have found this to be true if you want to stay on contract. But I have never had a marina (in the US) ask for proof of liability coverage for transient stays.

At my marina, if you don't have insurance, you have to go on the month-to-month rate which is about double the yearly rate.

-dan
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 04:59   #19

My experience is in marinas/boatyards in Florida, Georgia and north in the "hurricane alley" where they have a space on the "sign-in" form where you name your insurance company and then some of them want to make a copy of your insurance binder. Normally they just have a space where you have to write in the insurance company name.
- - In the Caribbean there are many "new" marinas opening and they all require you to have and name the insurance carrier for your boat.
- - Finding "old" out of the way boatyards is difficult but worthwhile endeavor as they are also free from the OSHA/EPA rats nest of rules and prohibitions on what kind of work you can D-I-Y on your boat.
Old 15-08-2010, 16:58   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cheoy Lee, 44 Cutter. Dolce Far Niente
insurance????

we just went through the same situation when we purchased our boat. We plan to go cruising exclusively, full time live aboard. The issues we encountered were 1. the value of the boat. We got a great deal on our 44 Cheoy Lee, which was far below market value. The insurance companies will only insure what you paid for the boat. So if we have a total loss in 3 years and the market rebounds our insurance check will be enough to buy a 25' boat. 2. additional equipment/upgrades. We are planning a total refit of our boat, cost about $100k. The insurace company will only give us credit for the equipment and not any labour to install it, they also want to deduct for the ancient electronics and other items we are removing so we may see 40% of the $100k we are putting in to the boat. 3. Areas of coverage. We plan to start out in the Bahamas and head south to the carribean for the next two years then maybe go to europe. The insurers do not like the hurricane belt at all so there are very few companies who will even insure an older boat in carribean waters during hurricane season. It does get better once you head to europe or beyond. Your best bet would be to talk to an expert and investigate the company you pick. We used this company IMIS Home Page an agent named resse. At least get the hard facts and numbers before you make a decision. Good luck
rourkeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2010, 17:24   #21

Generally there are two types of coverage for comprehensive boat insurance - market value (basically what you paid for it) depreciated over time (especially for the items like instruments, etc.) - - and "agreed value" which is a number that you and the insurance carrier agree to. This is the limit of what they will pay for a total loss or constructive loss. For probably additional premium you can get replacement costs of destroyed or damaged instruments, etc.
- - The big thing you do not want to do is insure the boat below the replacement value/market cost. We lost many hundreds of boats down here in Grenada with Hurricane Ivan and several of them (friends) had insured their boats for only 80% or less of the market value. The hurricane damage was repairable to these boats but the repair costs exceeded their policy limits and they lost the boat to the insurance company. Generally speaking if the insurance company pays the face amount on the policy or the constructive loss exceeds that amount - the insurance company takes ownership of the boat after paying you the money. You can buy the boat back from them but then you are back where you started with a damaged boat and no money.
- - So really investigate thoroughly through a reputable broker what is available and the types of coverage. IMHO, if you cannot afford to insure for the market value/agreed value then buy only liability insurance and start a separate savings account to be your own "insurance" fund for the boat should it sustain damage.
Old 08-02-2020, 08:09   #22

Boat: Garcia 45 - being built for April 2019
Question Re: Sailing Around the World - To Insure or Not to Insure

Is it possible for Americans to get insurance in Europe any more?
We just got told that USA boats are no longer insured by the usual big UK insurerance underwriters.....!?!
So what are our options... ? Are there American ins. companies that will insure regular cruisers, with no claims, in the Med? Even 3rd party would be good fro us... or even better actually. All we want is to be allowed to get into marinas.
Has anyone else discovered this new policy change?
Cheers
P&D
peteh007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 08:36   #23

Boat: Catalina 36 MKI
Re: Sailing Around the World - To Insure or Not to Insure

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteh007 View Post
Is it possible for Americans to get insurance in Europe any more?
We just got told that USA boats are no longer insured by the usual big UK insurerance underwriters.....!?!
So what are our options... ? Are there American ins. companies that will insure regular cruisers, with no claims, in the Med? Even 3rd party would be good fro us... or even better actually. All we want is to be allowed to get into marinas.
Has anyone else discovered this new policy change?
Cheers
P&D
You can buy 3rd party everywhere in the Med, regardless of your flag or nationality. BTW this not only covers damage to other boats, but also environmental cleanup in case you sink, etc. Insuring your own boat might be a different story.

I'm always amazed by the US insurance cost horror stories I read. My 36ft Catalina is fully insured + 3rd party for 650EU/year with a 500EU own risk.. I did it online and didn't need to get a survey, etc.
De.windhoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 17:17   #24

What companies offer liability only insurance for boats older than 10 years and cruising outside the US?
lfierro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 18:21   #25

Boat: Volkscruiser

Jim you are doing really well here in Australia to be never asked for proof of insurance. I get so many calls from people trying to find a loophole or slipway so they can slip their uninsured boat.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 20:07   #26

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 1150

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
Mexico is a whole different kind of thing. Mexico requires that you have insurance from a Mexican Company in Mexico. So your insurance broker outside Mexico can arrange for Mexican coverage for you or you can wait until you get there and then purchase the Mexican insurance.
This is not quite accurate. Our experience in Mexico during the 9 or so years that we were there was:
i. car liability insurance must be from a Mexican provider;
ii. boat liability insurance from a Canadian provider was always acceptable;
iii. all marinas that we used in Mexico asked for a copy of the policy at check in.

We are now in a marina in Papeete and we were also asked for our insurance policy. We have full coverage and it wasn't cheap or easy to obtain prior to leaving Mexico for French Polynesia. We explored and were able to get a quote for liability-only insurance but after much thinking about it, bought the full coverage package that we were able to get. It was US$1000 more than the previous year which was US$2000.

We will be moving to Fiji/Tonga this year and leaving the boat on the hard until next year. Given the frequency of cyclones in the region we will stick with full coverage if we can get it.
Old 09-02-2020, 03:07   #27

In Europe it would be difficult to find a insurance company that would insure a boat for world cruising older than 30 years and with value under 100.000€.
Oceansailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 07:05   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by De.windhoos View Post
You can buy 3rd party everywhere in the Med, regardless of your flag or nationality. BTW this not only covers damage to other boats, but also environmental cleanup in case you sink, etc. Insuring your own boat might be a different story.

I'm always amazed by the US insurance cost horror stories I read. My 36ft Catalina is fully insured + 3rd party for 650EU/year with a 500EU own risk.. I did it online and didn't need to get a survey, etc.
Which company/site did you use to get this price?
AndrewA2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 14:03   #29

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
Jim you are doing really well here in Australia to be never asked for proof of insurance. I get so many calls from people trying to find a loophole or slipway so they can slip their uninsured boat.
Cheers
We have third party insurance now, it was 2010 when the thread started. A copy of our proof of insurance is required both for haulouts and marina stays, and they DO ask, now, and do require it.

Ann
Old 16-02-2020, 04:37   #30

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Liability only seems to be very cheap in Germany:

For a 2015 Lagoon 39 the yearly insurance fee is 165€ (180US$). Coverage worldwide 15.000.000€ max. If you decide for a lower max coverage, yearly fee drops a lot.

Insurance: AIG.de

John

Tags
round the world