Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2011, 14:05   #1

Boat: Tayana 37
Sailboat Delivery Puerto Vallarta to Boston, MA ?

Hey folks,

I have my eye on a Tayana 37 in the abovementioned Mexican port, but live in Boston. It's selling for a very reasonable price and, aside from ugly side decks missing the teak, it's very seaworthy, but I don't yet have the time to spend a month (?) sailing it up here through the Panama canal, even assuming I had the experience, which I don't.

How much do you think it would it cost to have a skipper and crew deliver it. Delivery date is not too important. Pretty flexible actually: anytime in the next six months.... boats don't do much here in Winter. Would even consider stopping in FL for the Winter and then sailing it home the rest of the way myself.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

TW
Tailwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 14:18   #2

Re: Sailboat Delivery Puerto Vallarta to Boston MA?

I do deliveries myself, but I'll spare you the sales pitch. Most people charge $200-$300 a day (at sea, perhaps less for shore days if those are needed), plus transportation. Additionally most delivery captains would ask that the boat have some offshore safety equipment (life raft), verify that your insurance covers them, and probably get 50% up front.

I'd ballpark under $10K, maybe closer to $7K. That's if you found someone at $200/day, they fly coach, nothing goes wrong, and it took a few weeks to get there. You'll chew up fuel and other boat items that might total another $1K-$2K totally dependent upon the vessel and weather. And then another grand or so to get through the canal.

Also, make sure to ask whether or not that per-day fee covers additional crew that they'll certainly need for something of that length.

Completely rough guesses, but hopefully that helps. All in I'd say you're looking around $10K, a lot of those expenses of which (fuel, canal transit, consumables) you'd chew up anyway.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 14:47   #3
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

the masters i know charge from 3 dollars per mile to 350 daily plus perdiem. the mexicanos with 1600 tonner masters licenses and diesel as well as other certifications charge 2 dollars per mile. crew is extra.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 16:56   #4

Boat: Tayana 37

Thanks guys. The prices sound comparable to what I'd read on a british forum. Wouldn't it be nice to have a couple of months off to do the job myself ... especially with Winter approaching! Oh well.
Tailwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 17:49   #5

Boat: Mason 43 cutter

Truck it, there used to be a guy hauling boats out of San Carlos to Tucson and handing it over to US driver. Check with Marina San Carlos.
Rod Headlee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
delivery, puerto vallarta, sailboat