Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2016, 07:16   #121
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Retire now & go cruising or THIS is what happens!

Except you pay property taxes on the house, water, sewage and garbage are not included like in a Marina, and where I live there is no broadcast TV, so if you want that, you pay for that too, included in Marina cost.
My Rent is $1,450 a month, utilities more of course, so about $2,000. Marina is $350 and live aboard fee I think $100 more, but not positive.
Plus if we are talking living on less, scrap the Marina would be the first logical step?
When I still had my house, property tax was $500 a month, utilities about that, so very close to your number.

But its the losing the automobiles and all work related expenses that I think will be my biggest savings
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 07:37   #122
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dreaming View Post
Thanks! Tell me, how does almond flour cook up?
We have used coconut flour but the result is always more like quick breads or even pudding like. We got tired of it.
I dont think theres viable subsitutes.
Yes i do love and miss bread but i have found it better to do without than substitute. Its just a structural device to hold a filling. So ive dumped it.

In the very begining when i was trying to cut sugar from coffee - i would have 3 or 4 sugars per coffee x 6 times per day - i couldnt stand the taste, i'd try to force myself to drink it. So i just dumped coffee altogether. After i stopped coffee for a year or so i could slowly go back to it without sugar.

Same as bread. Now i prefer my fillings without the bread as a structure. I use a slice of cheese or a spoon etc. flavors are much more intense

I must admit in French islands, once per week on Sundays, i sneak ashore and grab a croissant and baguette for brekky.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 08:22   #123

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Basically your retirement will cost you exactly double what you can afford. (I am being serious now). Whilst working you are spending everything. So when you go cruising you will have to spend everything on,for the boat and everything for the house back home.
Basically, it wont work.
If ine partner is that selfish its time to think divorce so you can have a retirement you want.
Difficulty is that a divorce will probably take you to the cleaners.

I have seen very few couples do both: cruise and keep the house up without working. I have seen many, many, many couples break up because of it.

I know what i would do.... Because if i wasnt a selfish prick i wouldnt be able to be here.

But i am 'here' and i am loving it.

Mark
Dear selfish prick,

I knew you couldn't go without something to get a chuckle out of me. I enjoy the humor.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 08:30   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I'll keep the old airplane, I have budgeted for the hangar, it's not much if any more than storage would be, and furniture won't go in the hangar, stuff like my tools and hobby stuff will. We will likely return to land, cruising may or may not be a long term thing, I hope it will, but why burn bridges? Once back I will want to continue to fly, airplane turned 70 this year, they ain't making them anymore, and this one since I have taken down to its bones and built it back is in rather good shape for such an old Gal. It will outlive me, I want it to actually.
I'll have to have a lock box, but want to ditch current bank. Does St Brendan's Isle have a safety deposit box kind of thing?

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
We have been sailing offshore off and on for around 10 years and we too have kept the old plane and use the hangar as storage space for a couple of cars and motorcycles.
The plane, a little Piper Pacer has been pickled for 4 years and this year I decided to get a new C of A on it and take it flying. We have only been back home for a few weeks so not much time to fly but got in around 15 hours on it, flew the Grand kids out to a camping spot for a few days and just got rid of cobwebs. I had lots of fun with it. Sort of think next year rather than come home for a few weeks we will make it a few months and maybe fly down to Oshkosh (never been there) I was thinking of selling the plane as its not a good thing for them to just sit but after this year I changed my mind. My Grand kids really enjoy it and may even want to learn to fly, they are 15 now. Great to have choices.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 08:39   #125

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
I dont think theres viable subsitutes.
Yes i do love and miss bread but i have found it better to do without than substitute. Its just a structural device to hold a filling. So ive dumped it.

In the very begining when i was trying to cut sugar from coffee - i would have 3 or 4 sugars per coffee x 6 times per day - i couldnt stand the taste, i'd try to force myself to drink it. So i just dumped coffee altogether. After i stopped coffee for a year or so i could slowly go back to it without sugar.

Same as bread. Now i prefer my fillings without the bread as a structure. I use a slice of cheese or a spoon etc. flavors are much more intense

I must admit in French islands, once per week on Sundays, i sneak ashore and grab a croissant and baguette for brekky.
Bread....we tried subing early on but we are now in year three and for the most part we dont bother. Exceptions BF craves pancakes. So every few months I make a batch with coconut flour mixed with buckwheat flour. Its pretty good really.
As for sugared coffee, I found my best bet was just lightening up on how heavy I brew it. Weaker coffee is much easier to drink black with no sugar. But I do.miss the carmelly flavor of sugar and cream.
3 years, little bread, no noodles, no rice. I lost 45 lbs initially. Im up a few now because...fruit. Its the devil!
Old 11-08-2016, 08:45   #126

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
Consumerism is more addictive than heroin! Most of us have the addiction to some extent, the world needs us to be that way, if we curve our consumer ways the system breaks, it relies on continues growth.
Right, which is a great reason to step off this artificial merry-go-round. The system is now designed to trap most people. As the saying goes; "Just Say No."

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
The living on land costing more isn't really a fair comparison.

Yes, as I've often written here, boat life is not necessarily less expensive than land life. It's certainly possible to live frugally on terra firma. It's just that a boat has lot of natural advantages. The two biggest being the size, and the fact that you can get away from marinas (and urban areas in general). This is where the money flows. You want to live frugally? One of best ways is get far away from a dock.

Why go fast, when you can go slow
Old 11-08-2016, 08:52   #127
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Except you pay property taxes on the house, water, sewage and garbage are not included like in a Marina, and where I live there is no broadcast TV, so if you want that, you pay for that too, included in Marina cost.
If that was aimed at me; the numbers I gave were apples to apples! It would cost be $950/mo on my house to to have the same things as $750/mo would get me in a marina for a boat (less 900 square of space).
Old 11-08-2016, 09:36   #128
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
If that was aimed at me; the numbers I gave were apples to apples! It would cost be $950/mo on my house to to have the same things as $750/mo would get me in a marina for a boat (less 900 square of space).

It was, but later in the answer I conceded your numbers were very close to mine, when I owned the house outright, to be a fair comparison you can't compare a rental house to a paid for boat, both either have payments or not to be a fair comparison. Initially I was comparing my rental costs to your paid for house cost and that of course is not apples to apples
Although in my case I took the money the house sold for and invested it, so now it should have a return as opposed to being a liability.

But tough to make comparisons on something I haven't done yet, for me its all theory at this point.

But if the Guvmint is right about an automobile cost of ownership is 58 cents a mile, just getting rid of those things will be a huge cost saver
Old 11-08-2016, 09:41   #129
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
We have been sailing offshore off and on for around 10 years and we too have kept the old plane and use the hangar as storage space for a couple of cars and motorcycles.
The plane, a little Piper Pacer has been pickled for 4 years and this year I decided to get a new C of A on it and take it flying. We have only been back home for a few weeks so not much time to fly but got in around 15 hours on it, flew the Grand kids out to a camping spot for a few days and just got rid of cobwebs. I had lots of fun with it. Sort of think next year rather than come home for a few weeks we will make it a few months and maybe fly down to Oshkosh (never been there) I was thinking of selling the plane as its not a good thing for them to just sit but after this year I changed my mind. My Grand kids really enjoy it and may even want to learn to fly, they are 15 now. Great to have choices.

Let them learn to fly if they are willing to do the work, and later you can just give it to them, with the caveat that you get to use it occasionally

I figure my Son will end up with my 140, maybe. Assuming he gets his act a little more together, right now if I gave it to him, it would be a White Elephant, you familiar with that story? I assume in a year or two things will take care of themselves, either we will swallow the anchor, or get rid of the stuff in storage or most of it anyway.

Everybody needs to go to Osh once, the one time I went I took the then Experimental GE airplane we build, but I have no desire to go back, I rather like Sun-N-Fun better myself
Old 11-08-2016, 14:52   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
This is very accurate and, except for the last part of the last sentence, accurately describes our situation.

We have to spend at least $1200 a year just for a phone and internet connectivity to make my job happen.. probably close to $2K after you factor in other things. I have to buy nice clothes and keep them laundered. Then, its very nice (and almost necessary since you can't leave your boat alone in a lot of anchorages that are have access to airports, which are ones commonly within city boundaries) to stay in a marina with the AC going so you can think properly and get a good nights rest before being "on" all the next day. Then we pay over $200 a week to get back and forth to the airports... lets not forget about food when I'm traveling, office supplies that would be unnecessary on a boat, taxes, incidentals, and so forth. All for the privilege of having a job.

If I DIDN'T have my job it would cost a fraction of what we pay now to live.
Extremes in either direction are counter productive. We also still work and have some expenses related to that but try to keep the income worth the effort.

On the other hand, we have seen people take it to the extreme keeping costs down till they are spending more time and effort to not spend a dollar than if they had just earned another dollar and paid for what they want.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 17:46   #131

Quote:
Let them learn to fly if they are willing to do the work, and later you can just give it to them, with the caveat that you get to use it occasionally

I figure my Son will end up with my 140, maybe. Assuming he gets his act a little more together, right now if I gave it to him, it would be a White Elephant, you familiar with that story? I assume in a year or two things will take care of themselves, either we will swallow the anchor, or get rid of the stuff in storage or most of it anyway.

Everybody needs to go to Osh once, the one time I went I took the then Experimental GE airplane we build, but I have no desire to go back, I rather like Sun-N-Fun better myself
Well your younger than me so a few more options probably. Yup I know the White Elephant story. I don't know your Sons age but mine didn't even start to get his act together until he was 26 but when he did it was all uphill and he has done very well for himself. Ya storage is always a pain as our history shows the expenses will exceed the values very quickly but my wife just can't let go of some things. She is a buyer and keeper and I am usually the seller, great combo but it works more or less.
Osh has always been on my things to do list and after 50 years of flying you would have thought I would have made the journey but I just haven't. What is the biggest downfall of Osh in your mind? We live in the PNW so Florida is a long way to go for a flyin although I have heard nothing but good reviews on the SunNFun.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 17:51   #132
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
On the other hand, we have seen people take it to the extreme keeping costs down till they are spending more time and effort to not spend a dollar than if they had just earned another dollar and paid for what they want.
Still, more fun than having a job
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 09:55   #133

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

I was just talking with my girlfriend about how much time simple tasks take when living on a boat... my point being there is always something to do and I don't need to worry about becoming bored.

Although the space is small, I think there is ample opportunity to climb, stretch, lift, squat, pull, tote... my friend calls it boat yoga, so I expect to stay more fit than if I was landed. When in the marina, my boat power bill is $10/mo where my house was $100+/mo, slip fee $250/mo vs. House rent/mortgage of $1500+/mo. Water, sewer, garbage is provided and taxes are much cheaper. My meals are simpler and there is no room to store junk food or my nemesis ice-cream! On the other hand, there are plenty of niches to store beer, wine, and bourbon...
Old 12-08-2016, 10:11   #134

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkindredpdx View Post
I was just talking with my girlfriend about how much time simple tasks take when living on a boat... my point being there is always something to do and I don't need to worry about becoming bored.

Although the space is small, I think there is ample opportunity to climb, stretch, lift, squat, pull, tote... my friend calls it boat yoga, so I expect to stay more fit than if I was landed. When in the marina, my boat power bill is $10/mo where my house was $100+/mo, slip fee $250/mo vs. House rent/mortgage of $1500+/mo. Water, sewer, garbage is provided and taxes are much cheaper. My meals are simpler and there is no room to store junk food or my nemesis ice-cream! On the other hand, there are plenty of niches to store beer, wine, and bourbon...
It's exactly the right life for some and totally wrong for others. If you enjoy making simple tasks last and last, it's a great life.

But if you can't help but try an be efficient with your time, you can fly through those simple tasks in an hour of so and have the rest of the day to become quite bored. And that's just one day.

As far as exercise, forgetaboutit! You simply cannot after doing your stretching, pullups, pushups, etc take a 3 mile run followed by a 25-40 mile bike ride

Same with the sailing. Once you are set and on course with the AP on, it can get a bit dull especially if most of your other sailing was racing. And I'm talking Coastal Cruising where I rarely sail more than 5-6 hours per day

As far as the beer, there's always a store close by if you are coastal cruising or daysailing should you happen to run out

I'm just hoping folks will try the cruising life before selling everything they possess to be sure it's the life for them

Another life could be an old house in the country where your oldest Jeep stays in 4 wheel drive much of the year just to come and go in and out of your mile long muddy driveway with the grass growing in the middle. There may be 6-8 old dogs trotting along with you on your return trips
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 11:55   #135
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
But if you can't help but try an be efficient with your time, you can fly through those simple tasks in an hour of so and have the rest of the day to become quite bored. And that's just one day.
At a guess, anyone so lacking in imagination to get bored so easily wouldn't have the mindset to go cruising in the first place.
Ask a cruiser what they do with their time and a common answer will be, no idea but it always takes all day.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising