Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2016, 03:35   #91

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38
Re: Retire now & go cruising or THIS is what happens!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
Apprehensive or just enjoying the life he has now and really does not want to ditch it all for some unknown new life? Circumstances usually force people to forsake the nest they have made for a potentially grubby existence. Some to escape the law, some because they are misfits, others due to eternal wanderlust. If the motive is not there, the body will not move.

My cousin is a big time divorce attorney in NYC. Because of his involvement in many major sailing events, gets a lot of clients bailing out of some sailing trip their spouses wanted. Evidently ranks right up there with spouse abuse, affairs, and drug abuse as motives for divorce.

So it may not just be the house that is parted with.
Thats a deep imagination reed

Nope, its just seniment on his part. The feet dragging is no more serious than a long slow walk to the dumpster or dumping an item but retrieving it, then dumping again for good. He is willing to find a new life, he just prefers to think about it a while. I dont blame him.

For myself, I am less sentimental. Ive always been a bit of a minimalist so I dont have a lot of things I cherish.

Jim is sending his family things to his brothers and his kids. We have some papers that will live in a water tight box at my moms. The rest is digital, backed up to the cloud and hard drive.
Old 10-08-2016, 04:35   #92

Boat: Columbia 8.7 (29')

72 yrs, have been sailing 40. boat # 14 just purchased, CD25D so that I can continue sailing on. I single hand because no one else can go when I want to go or where I want to go. This smaller/large boat will keep me going for the next 10 yrs. "resist gravity" because if you don't it will win.
patn44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 08:29   #93

Boat: Pearson 34-II

"If the motive is not there, the body will not move." Reed IV

Well said, Reed. For most, long-term cruising is an unfulfilled dream. Those who choose to escape from a traditional lifestyle do so because they cannot conceive of missing this experience. It is certainly not for everyone(as many soon discover) as witnessed by the broken relationships found in every port along the path. For those who value "things" above human experience, it will probably never happen. Good luck and safe sailing.
Old 10-08-2016, 09:26   #94

Boat: Catalina 30

For the people who decry their lack
of health, I think MarkJ would agree
they should look into a ketogenic
diet.
jongleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 09:32   #95

Boat: 2019 Fountaine Pajot Saba 50'

Quote:
Originally Posted by jongleur View Post
diet.
+1 on Keto

Down 35lbs (235# to 200#) in 120 days and don't feel like I've dieted at all. It was a game-changer for me.

Gotta stay alive - Boat won't be delivered until early 2018

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw
CalmSeasQuest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 09:48   #96

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

This has been discussed many times on other threads but it is still germane to this discussion. When decided to go cruising full time several years ago, we made the decision to sell our house and put the few things we "had" to keep in a smallish storage unit. We sold our cars. We were pretty darn committed in other words. We didn't, and don't, have the money to not care about these things. Our new/old boat is a significant financial drain for what we get out of it. It's partly my hobby, partly an emotional attachment, partly a dream (to go full time cruising again), and partly stupidity.

When we sold our house before we decided we didn't want to be landlords and couldn't afford to just let it sit and be taken care of (yard, upkeep, etc) while we were out and about. Ditto on storage and upkeep on the cars. We knew it would be a big deal to come back and start over if we ended up doing that. We knew there was a significant possibility that we would find we couldn't afford to cruise full-time in our manner (our manner not any body else's thank you very much) and we would have to come back to land again.

That's what happened. We found the cost of reestablishing ourselves was a very costly activity, at least as much as getting the boat ready to go the first time - house, furniture, cars, clothes, "stuff". We wanted to get back to the same lifestyle we had before. Others might do it differently but that's what we did.

We are planning to go out again. We are faced with the same decisions: keep and rent out the house or not, sell both cars, only one or keep both, furniture - too expensive to store, etc etc. We will probably do the exact same thing. However, our little town's real estate costs are going through the roof right now. Good for us to sell for a profit, bad to expect to be able to buy another house here if we come back, or even pay the higher rents. So we will have to go somewhere else. We love this little town and have lots of friends here so leaving would be an emotional and financial loss. Plus buying a car(s), furniture, etc. It is expensive to do that.

So, our plan would be to stay out until we are begging for handouts from other boaters to eat, or to live within a stricter budget than we did before. We might be able to pull that off (or not). But we both think it is worth the risk. But we do fret about not being able to come back and live in this town again. We have lived in a lot of places and it is pure gold to find a place you like so much.

Big decisions! Not just an oh well we will deal with it as it comes. This stuff really matters. At least to us. If we were younger we would do it without even thinking about it if we had the coin to have and maintain a boat and ourselves out and about.

We absolutely loved cruising. Heat in the tropics in the hot seasons is definitely an issue but we would try and go with the seasons. Every week is an adventure. People are wonderful - other cruisers and other peoples in other countries. Sure, not every one is wonderful but you can pick up your boat and go play elsewhere. No so much in a town if you own a house, and even renting can tie you down to leases and such, let alone moving expense. We really should downsize and throw away the old high school albums but I have lost that battle too many times to really think that will happen.

Many wannabes will have the same issues. But I guarantee your lifes will be enriched beyond belief by going cruising sooner rather than later. We are so happy we did it 15 years ago. We had good health and enough coin to get through several years. If we never go out again we are happy we did it then. If you can figure out how to do it now, then do it now. Life happens with you or without you (on the water). There are issues with all things like this. You just have to pick your poison (or really your happiness) and go for it. Then be happy as you can with whichever way you go. After you are dead or in the nursing home is too late.

It's OK not to go. Also OK to just go. We made our decisions every month of every year. If we were still happy and it was working out we would just keep doing whatever, or wherever. We decided sitting in a park was not our way to be happy. BTW - we ended up doing our original plan but were happy to know we would be OK to do something else too. We ended up doing both (if that makes any sense).
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 10:19   #97

Boat: Rafiki 37

We may be running a parallel course exMag. We sold most everything, stored some essentials (including limited sentimental items) in a storage trailer, and have headed out. We don't have a lot of money, but can make some along the way. We aren't even pensioned, although small ones will kick in over three to 11 years. Mostly we're just living modestly, but well.

If we can't survive and thrive we'll have to come back to shore. More than a year out we're doing ok.

Why go fast, when you can go slow
Old 10-08-2016, 10:24   #98

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by jongleur View Post
diet.
Us too! BF and I agree we are mych healthier because of Keto. But the smell of toast still makes me drool.
Old 10-08-2016, 10:42   #99

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
Apprehensive or just enjoying the life he has now and really does not want to ditch it all for some unknown new life? Circumstances usually force people to forsake the nest they have made for a potentially grubby existence. Some to escape the law, some because they are misfits, others due to eternal wanderlust. If the motive is not there, the body will not move.

My cousin is a big time divorce attorney in NYC. Because of his involvement in many major sailing events, gets a lot of clients bailing out of some sailing trip their spouses wanted. Evidently ranks right up there with spouse abuse, affairs, and drug abuse as motives for divorce.

So it may not just be the house that is parted with.
Actually, I think divorce or separation (and the financial nightmares that sometimes go with them) is the biggest risk out there for couples going when one spouse or the other isn't in to it as much or turns out that way later. We have seen it over and over and over. Or sometimes both decide the dream was much better than reality. There are many old guys down in the tropics by themselves drinking themselves silly by themselves. It's sad. But it does seem to happen. I don't know how you can guarantee to sort this out before you leave. It requires some real soul searching and discussion about what-ifs. I'm lucky. The Admiral is tough and she likes cruising as much as I do. She needs me though as she doesn't know how to use a crescent wrench or change the oil.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 10:44   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post

I mean it had to be expensive, why else are there literally hundreds of yards full of boats that people had obviously run out of money trying to prepare?

Still don't know the answer, but I have come to believe that it can be done for a lot less than I had originally supposed.
I think the issue is most people see the fun and luxurious part of the lifestyle and don't see the sacrifices.

It tends to be an upward spiral.:
If you need to work full time, you need to pay for a marina to store the boat, you need to pay for maintenance because you spend most of your time working, you need a car to get to work, your marina needs to be close to work which drives up the price, you have friends who take a similar approach, so you need a newish boat at much higher price, they think you are funny if you don't have a house, so you get one of those...and on it goes until you are working and not making headway.

Take the opposite approach and it's a downward cost spiral and really very cheap way to live a rich lifestyle.

This isn't just a cruising issue. You can live a surprisingly cheap lifestyle that is still rich and comfortable but it comes with tradeoffs. Most people who wax lyrical about our idyllic lifestyle would never be willing to consider the tradeoffs to make it happen.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 11:01   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalmSeasQuest View Post
+1 on Keto

Down 35lbs (235# to 200#) in 120 days and don't feel like I've dieted at all. It was a game-changer for me.

Gotta stay alive - Boat won't be delivered until early 2018
NICE!
Old 10-08-2016, 11:08   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dreaming View Post
Us too! BF and I agree we are mych healthier because of Keto. But the smell of toast still makes me drool.
Great!
How can you beat this:

Keto Garlic Bread - Diet Doctor

Yum! No deprivation here.
Old 10-08-2016, 11:22   #103
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
I think the issue is most people see the fun and luxurious part of the lifestyle and don't see the sacrifices.

It tends to be an upward spiral.:
If you need to work full time, you need to pay for a marina to store the boat, you need to pay for maintenance because you spend most of your time working, you need a car to get to work, your marina needs to be close to work which drives up the price, you have friends who take a similar approach, so you need a newish boat at much higher price, they think you are funny if you don't have a house, so you get one of those...and on it goes until you are working and not making headway.

Take the opposite approach and it's a downward cost spiral and really very cheap way to live a rich lifestyle.

This isn't just a cruising issue. You can live a surprisingly cheap lifestyle that is still rich and comfortable but it comes with tradeoffs. Most people who wax lyrical about our idyllic lifestyle would never be willing to consider the tradeoffs to make it happen.

I have become very aware recently of the costs to work, last couple of years since I got the idea to cruise I've been running numbers and it's astonishing, truth is my Wife makes nothing, not by the time you factor in all the costs, especially the "hidden" ones.
She would quit tomorrow but she would still want to spend like she was working though.
When you start adding up the car she has to have, the clothes she has to have, the phone she has to have, the time we eat out cause she worked late, it comes to more I believe than she makes
My concern now is more on what land costs I will still have to bear, insurance, storage, I'll still have a kid in school and will have her car insurance bill etc.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 11:37   #104

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
...This isn't just a cruising issue. You can live a surprisingly cheap lifestyle that is still rich and comfortable but it comes with tradeoffs. Most people who wax lyrical about our idyllic lifestyle would never be willing to consider the tradeoffs to make it happen.

Bang on Valhalla! This isn't specific to cruising. It's a question of how one chooses to live a life. I've always lived on the more frugal side of life, but also always lived comfortably, well and often large. I've made choices, and have accepted the consequences, to make this work.

As I see it, nothing come for free. Go young, go small, go now, and live with the consequences of this choice. Or, go large, go old(er) and go later. There are costs and trade offs to both paths.

Why go fast, when you can go slow
Old 10-08-2016, 11:50   #105

I've run into plenty of people who have been allegedly been preparing to cruise for years, without ever going. But, if dreaming about going, and constantly improving their boat for a trip they will never take, is what makes them happy, then what is wrong with that?

Tags
cruising