Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2008, 22:49   #16

Boat: Privilege 39
I know that marina's around here frequently do lien sales. I know a couple of people that have picked up boats that way - though to be fair all the people I know who've bought them had to put a fair bit of money and time into them - by the time they become lien sales they seem to be 5-10 years out of any sort of maintenance...
scotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2008, 17:35   #17

Boat: Beneteau 473
I bought a boat in a lien sale in California. When I talked to the loan officer and discussed the situation and what I was planning to pay she had no problem buying the boat but warned me the paperwork might take awhile to get sorted out. She wasn't wrong. It took months before the title was released by the previous bank that held the note.

I bought a repo in Connecticut and in that case the broker took offers on the boats and then forwarded them to the bank. I surveyed the boat I wanted myself and ultimately made a very low offer. The broker initially refused to send it forward. My persistence paid off though and I paid half the asking price. The broker didn't ask for it and really didn't want the survey but I typed up a list of findings to support my low offer and gave it to him anyway.
That title also took longer than I would have expected to arrive.
SilentOption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2008, 15:04   #18
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
You probbly aren't going to find any good deals in Fort Liquordale......They realize they can get top dollar as most of the boats are going to Europe.
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2010, 05:12   #19

Any good deals in California? Anyone have any contacts for lien sale?

Thanks
Cyber1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2010, 06:47   #20

Boat: gulfstar 41 aux jenny lynn
be careful

Quote:
Originally Posted by knottybuoyz View Post
You also have to be somewhat careful of these boats if the PO had known it was going to be repo'd, they would have put off most if not all maintenance and drove the sh*t out of it once the writing was on the wall. I've read some horror stories where this has lead to major repair bills for hidden damage caused by deferred maintenance. A good survey is always the best course of action. Clear title is again the other concern.
A friend lost his boat to the bank a very nice wood ketch he stayed behind on payments and let it get run down would'nt do any maintenance he stayed in the bar all the time rather than getting a bottle and going home dropping $150.00-$200.00 a day there I felt sorry for him for a while and tried to talk to him but he knew everything I lost respect for him the way he treated his boat he never changed the oil a new yanmar and you talk about smoke when he would fire it up and go for a spin around the island to charge batteries you couldnt see the boat also he would leave the ports and hatches open and let it get rained in what a shame he knew he was loosing it so he did'nt care.
jenny2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2010, 11:45   #21

Boat: Steel trawler 63' Eileen Farrell
We got a 63 ft steel shrimp boat for 32k with a 12/71 engine and a 2/71 gen set and 6k in fuel ready to fish. Took a year and a half to convert it to a trawler/ houseboat and another 200k but we are happy. Been on it now for a year.
lorenzo b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2010, 16:07   #22

Boat: Sceptre 41
Randy have you tried registering the MG in a different state?

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2011, 02:48   #23

Boat: Roberts, C45 Spray - EDM
Re: Repo and Foreclosure Boats

Just had a look at the site.... It did not look to be filled with "wow I must have that"

43' - 2005 Beneteau Sailboat STOCK # 25505 - a mere $144,000 !!!!

What !!!

A quick look on YBW yields something similar (in age, manufacturer etc) at 79K Pounds (aprox $140K) BENETEAU CYCLADES 43.4 for sale on YBW.com boats for sale

So why have the problems with title ?

Or is this some clever MBA front end slapped over a Yacht Brokers web site ??

Interesting to browse though.
deepstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2011, 02:59   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, psyleflockhart.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2011, 06:08   #25

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'

Another thing to look into are abandoned boats at marinas. Most will be abuse by not being used. 25' Catalina went for $975 a year ago at one on the local marinas last year.
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2013, 05:12   #26

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS

Let me revive this thread, as I'm looking at doing exactly what the last poster mentioned, in Spain. It's a 2002 model, last used in 2006. The marina has just been awarded ownership of it thru the courts for non-payment of moorage fees. We'll have to put some money into her to bring her back but it should still be worth it. We are dealing thru a reputable broker.

Is anyone aware of any legal catches to be aware of? We would get clear title & proof of tax paid.
Prairie Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2013, 08:53   #27
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

have a title search service document the boat and search for old liens. there is a special form fro releasing liens. youneed it fro all liens on boat. good luck...dona jenkins is online and will answer questions and assist in this, as it is their job to do this part for us. is a lil pricey but it is your boat in question and future with it.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2013, 16:58   #28

pirate Re: Repo and Foreclosure Boats

be ...very ....very careful.
great deals and great expensive liabilitys to be found.

Only a shark should be swimming with sharks.

Worked as an investigator for many years and found some good honest deals and helped some minnows who got screwed.

Go in with your eyes wide open and solicit advice from wise people and never think that a deal is to good to be true....

so keep your cards close to your chest and be wise and carry lots of moxy or get a hired gun.

Cheers
LoveMyWoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 22:57   #29

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS

Tx. We are proceeding [I]very, very carefully[I]! The lawyers assure us she will come with clear title. So far all seems positive but we won't know until we've bought her how much will be required to bring the boat back. Still, all major systems have checked out to date with necessary work being flushing systems, fabric, & cosmetic. Wish us luck!
Prairie Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote