Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2008, 19:43   #16

Tim... I might have an idea that could offer you a solution. Some questions:

How many in your crew? What kind of accomodations would you need in this boat?

When were you planning to begin your year-long cruise?

Do any in your crew have repair/maintenance ability beyond general sailing/racing?
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2009, 17:57   #17

Boat: Jutson 50
I confess, I didn't read all the posts, but...

If you have a look at my very similar thread where my time was only 3 months, nothing else stacks up like buying the boat. You just need to get realistic about what you really need, and work to a budget. If you want something shiny and new, then buying probably won't work, as you'll be taking the brunt of the depreciation inherent in all new things. If you pick something of quality that's already hit the part of the curve where the depreciation is slowing down, and can put up with the slightly messy bits (bumpy headliners, shrinking teak work and cracked hatches in my case) then the main challenge becomes buying well.
All boats need maintenance, and any fictional reality where things don't break and you don't fork over 1000's in one go are just that, fictional. For the charterer or lessor, its no different. They will just be charging you a premium for their capital and knowledge. If you know your stuff, get a good surveyor and start watching the market. Plenty of opportunities out there.
cheers
James
Old 18-06-2009, 06:18   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tackdriver View Post
... If you pick something of quality that's already hit the part of the curve where the depreciation is slowing down ...
Good points (all of them), James.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2009, 06:44   #19

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Santeria,

So one year later what have you decided to do. I'm sure many of us are interested in the outcome of your planning. Please tell us.
Old 18-06-2009, 07:11   #20

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
It might be that someone with a boat for sale would say: "Its a down market right now, and if this guy is willing to pay 20% of the boat's value for a year's use, maintain full insurance coverage with me as the beneficiary, and give me a deposit to fix whatever he doesn't, why not??? It will also save dockage, maintenance, and insurance costs which would be incurred if the boat didn't sell."

I'm also thinking along the same lines--a season/year charter for a powerboat to do the Great Circle Route. I think my first step would to be to talk to a couple of creative boat brokers.

PS I do have a sailboat in the Caribbean, and might also consider a boat swap.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
renting