Hello all, I'm new on this forum, did not even fill in all the info yet.
I was directed to this forum by a search on the net and ended up in a tread regarding registering a vessel in delaware state but I can't find it back.
So I post my questions here.
1) I'm having a new 44 foot catamaran
built in France
2) On the advise of the builder
, I started a Delaware company to avoid EU taxes
during the construction of the vessel.
3) the boat will be finish in a couple months and I need to register it under a non EU flag to still avoid the 21% vat .....
4) I contacted the Delaware office who deal with my "company". they say it is no problem to register the boat in Delaware, I will pay no taxes
, I will fly the US flag.
5) I need to insure the vessel by Loyds of London with a US based insurance
So far so good.... I don't mind sailing under US flag.... Not planning to go to any extremist country in the near future...
BUT !!!! Now I have seen on this forum, this is not so simple ????
I need to be a US citizen to register a US flag... Delaware homeports are a "red flag" in other states, etc.... ????
Help help help !!!!
I'm a Canadian AND Belgian citizen.
The boat cost a fortune..... I can not afford to pay the 21% tax....
I am willing to pay VAT if it is reasonable.... None would be better of course...
I do not necessarily need to sail in canadian waters but it would be nice to spent a summer in Alaska
or the inside passage
I heard I can register the boat in canada
and not pay VAT or other taxes if I don't sail in Canadian waters ???
Any help is welcome !!!