Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-03-2016, 15:12   #16
Senior Cruiser
 
Cheechako's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Skagit City, WA
Posts: 19,359
Re: Purchasing a Hallberg-Rassy that needs new teak deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
It's odd that, once a teak deck shows major signs of lifting, a majority jump to the conclusion that an expensive re-decking is necessary, instead of repairing what's already there.
Yes, I suppose that is true. Little info is given. I think some of us hear "heaved up in a few places" and without pictures assume it needs some teak replaced, all the caulking redone, re-screwing maybe etc. A big expensive job even that. and long term, what keeps other planks that weren't redone from heaving up 6 months from now...?
__________________

__________________
"I spent most of my money on Booze, Broads and Boats. The rest I wasted" - Elmore Leonard











Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2016, 15:19   #17
Registered User
 
Terra Nova's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Marina del Rey, California
Boat: Freya 39 cutter- Terra Nova
Posts: 3,645
Re: Purchasing a Hallberg-Rassy that needs new teak deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
...what keeps other planks that weren't redone from heaving up 6 months from now...?
Repairs (could be DIY) and maintenance.
__________________

__________________
1st rule of yachting: When a collision is unavoidable, aim for something cheap.
"whatever spare parts you bring, you'll never need"--goboatingnow
"Id rather drown than have computers take over my life."--d design
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2016, 15:25   #18
Registered User
 
neilpride's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: in the world
Boat: csy 44 tall rig.
Posts: 3,099
Re: Purchasing a Hallberg-Rassy that needs new teak deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I guess I don't know them that well, seems like the teak was almost entirely the decking on the outside. With that gone, maybe handrails and cowl cap?

Aviso de redirección

I think a bit more, some people believe that a Awlgrip deck is cheaper and free of maintenance , so far so good , for this kind of boat I believe killing the teak deck is kind of stealing a part of that HR feeling,,
__________________
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2016, 15:46   #19
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: East Coast
Boat: Cape Dory 25
Posts: 12
Re: Purchasing a Hallberg-Rassy that needs new teak deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chenega View Post
I use to build / install teak decks for 20 years. I love the project but on my own boat -no way! I would remove the deck, fill all the fastener holes and Awlgrip. Be sure before the purchase there hasn't been water penetration into the core. That could add a lot of additional work - but it is doable. Can make for a good negotiation point in your favor if you can do the work.


Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
I've been reading a few blogs about teak replacement and wow, that is quite the skill. I would love to put teak back on the HR maybe even cork? Just for the resale value, however it just wouldn't be in the budget, not right off anyway. That's why I wanted to ask about the awlgrip, I wasn't sure if this was a quality alternative or a cheap fix, I'm sure that can depend on preference.....

About water in the core, with teak covering the deck will a surveyor be able to tell? Or is this something that wont be apparent till the deck comes off?
__________________
Searching for a boat!
PaddyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2016, 15:49   #20
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: East Coast
Boat: Cape Dory 25
Posts: 12
Re: Purchasing a Hallberg-Rassy that needs new teak deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post
How can anyone answer that?
We don't know what the boat is worth or how much he's asking.
Since the owner himself says he knows it needs to be done, I'd expect his asking price to already reflect that.
Yes good point, I suspect he has reduced the price but there aren't too many of these boat for sale around me so it is hard to tell.
__________________
Searching for a boat!
PaddyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2016, 15:51   #21
Registered User
 
neilpride's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: in the world
Boat: csy 44 tall rig.
Posts: 3,099
Re: Purchasing a Hallberg-Rassy that needs new teak deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddyO View Post
I've been reading a few blogs about teak replacement and wow, that is quite the skill. I would love to put teak back on the HR maybe even cork? Just for the resale value, however it just wouldn't be in the budget, not right off anyway. That's why I wanted to ask about the awlgrip, I wasn't sure if this was a quality alternative or a cheap fix, I'm sure that can depend on preference.....

About water in the core, with teak covering the deck will a surveyor be able to tell? Or is this something that wont be apparent till the deck comes off?
A pro Spray job in the deck looks great and is not cheap by any mean , and a surveyor can detect water in the core deck.
__________________
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2016, 16:07   #22
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: East Coast
Boat: Cape Dory 25
Posts: 12
Re: Purchasing a Hallberg-Rassy that needs new teak deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpride View Post
A pro Spray job in the deck looks great and is not cheap by any mean , and a surveyor can detect water in the core deck.
Thanks, good to know they can do that!
__________________
Searching for a boat!
PaddyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2016, 16:09   #23
Senior Cruiser
 
Cheechako's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Skagit City, WA
Posts: 19,359
Re: Purchasing a Hallberg-Rassy that needs new teak deck

Yep, a pro paint job, with non skid, is also going to be expensive. Detecting the water may be tough. But, OP, do you even know if there are screws in that deck?
You may need a surveyor to ferret out what is really required.
__________________
"I spent most of my money on Booze, Broads and Boats. The rest I wasted" - Elmore Leonard











Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2016, 16:49   #24
Registered User
 
rognvald's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Summer: In the land of Wooly Mammoths
Boat: Pearson 34-II
Posts: 2,252
Images: 2
Re: Purchasing a Hallberg-Rassy that needs new teak deck

Paddy,
A good friend of mine owns a CT56, of which I am very familiar, that is 30 years old with the original teak decking. It is lifting, as yours, in several spots and he is in the process of replacing it with nonskid paint. He claims his deck is solid glass(?). If that is the case, it will certainly be a labor intensive project but one in which there will be no concern for the condition of the deck underneath the teak. However, this HR probably has a cored deck and if there has been an ingress of water into the core, you could be looking at a major project with many unforeseen surprises in addition to painting(re-coring, gel coating adjacent areas, removal of deck hardware,etc.). It has been my experience that boats with "questionable" teak decks are very difficult to sell to the average sailor. You need to be realistic when appraising its value to you since there are some vessels with teak decks in good shape that would be a much better buy if that's your cup of tea. Proceed with caution. Boatyards are the repository of broken dreams. Good luck and safe sailing.
__________________
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music."
Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathrustra
rognvald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2016, 16:54   #25
Registered User
 
Lizzy Belle's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Netherlands
Boat: Ohlson 29
Posts: 1,522
Re: Purchasing a Hallberg-Rassy that needs new teak deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddyO View Post
Yes good point, I suspect he has reduced the price but there aren't too many of these boat for sale around me so it is hard to tell.
There should be enough for sale in the US to get some idea -- probably somewhere around 90k on average. Too lazy to look it up, but you can do that yourself.

But it depends on each boat. Every boat has its issues, and some are a lot more expensive to fix then others.

Don't focus on the asking price, but on what the boat is worth. Do you have enough experience to know what a fair price would be for that particular Rassy?
__________________
"Il faut être toujours ivre." - Charles Baudelaire
Dutch ♀ Liveaboard, sharing an Ohlson 29 with a feline.
Lizzy Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2016, 17:45   #26
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,945
Re: Purchasing a Hallberg-Rassy that needs new teak deck

Buy the boat subject to new decks, either glass or teak and let the buyer take the risk of a bad deck
__________________
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2016, 18:02   #27
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: East Coast
Boat: Cape Dory 25
Posts: 12
Re: Purchasing a Hallberg-Rassy that needs new teak deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
Paddy,
A good friend of mine owns a CT56, of which I am very familiar, that is 30 years old with the original teak decking. It is lifting, as yours, in several spots and he is in the process of replacing it with nonskid paint. He claims his deck is solid glass(?). If that is the case, it will certainly be a labor intensive project but one in which there will be no concern for the condition of the deck underneath the teak. However, this HR probably has a cored deck and if there has been an ingress of water into the core, you could be looking at a major project with many unforeseen surprises in addition to painting(re-coring, gel coating adjacent areas, removal of deck hardware,etc.). It has been my experience that boats with "questionable" teak decks are very difficult to sell to the average sailor. You need to be realistic when appraising its value to you since there are some vessels with teak decks in good shape that would be a much better buy if that's your cup of tea. Proceed with caution. Boatyards are the repository of broken dreams. Good luck and safe sailing.
I believe it is a screwed down deck, and it is cored. Thanks for the insight.
__________________
Searching for a boat!
PaddyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2016, 18:08   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: between the devil and the deep blue sea
Boat: a sailing boat
Posts: 17,314
Re: Purchasing a Hallberg-Rassy that needs new teak deck

Yes it is true the cost is not prohibitive.

352 has very limited amount of teak and easy to replace. As labour and material costs vary, you want to know the price from your local deck / teak craftsman.

Do not fall for grp deck - 352 uses the teak as an insulation too. If I remember well the deck under teak is not sandwich.

Last time I saw a new teak job on 352 the boat looked like new. It is a worthwile effort if the rest of the boat is in good condition.

b.
__________________
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2016, 18:09   #29
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: East Coast
Boat: Cape Dory 25
Posts: 12
Re: Purchasing a Hallberg-Rassy that needs new teak deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post
There should be enough for sale in the US to get some idea -- probably somewhere around 90k on average. Too lazy to look it up, but you can do that yourself.

But it depends on each boat. Every boat has its issues, and some are a lot more expensive to fix then others.

Don't focus on the asking price, but on what the boat is worth. Do you have enough experience to know what a fair price would be for that particular Rassy?
Most of what I found, yachtworld.com was outside the US and between 80-120K, so I wasn't sure if that was a fair comparison. And no, I haven't been interested in HR's long enough to know what fair price would be, I just have an idea of their reputation and their followers. Maybe there is a HR owners forum I could poke around in...
__________________
Searching for a boat!
PaddyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2016, 18:11   #30
Registered User
 
Lizzy Belle's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Netherlands
Boat: Ohlson 29
Posts: 1,522
Re: Purchasing a Hallberg-Rassy that needs new teak deck

Personally, I'd avoid any boat with a screwed on teak deck, but that's just me

HR's don't come cheap - you pay for both the boat and the HR name.
__________________

__________________
"Il faut être toujours ivre." - Charles Baudelaire
Dutch ♀ Liveaboard, sharing an Ohlson 29 with a feline.
Lizzy Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
deck, purchasing, teak, teak deck

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New online Hallberg Rassy Club - primarily danish. HR-Club.dk Meets & Greets 2 05-07-2015 20:57
Hallberg-Rassy Mistral 33 deck construction muirgen74 Monohull Sailboats 2 05-11-2014 08:49
Hallberg-Rassy 31 vs Hallberg-Rassy 31 Monsun ? TheCruisinKitty Monohull Sailboats 2 21-10-2011 08:23
Hallberg-Rassy Downsizing TaoJones Dollars & Cents 7 18-03-2009 19:24



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:23.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.