There are a few questions you need to answer first. Is the boat documented at USCG? If not you should require a Declaration of non-registration at the USCG Documentation center to prove she is actually not registered or an Abstract of title (see attachment) if she is documented, so you can check whether there is still a mortgage upon the vessel and whether the seller is the lawfull owner. Deletion of the documentation or a transfer of ownership
can be done after you have signed the Bill of Sale at the final delivery
. If there is a mortgage involved you want the seller to pay off his mortgage and fill in the 'SATISFACTION OR RELEASE OF MORTGAGE, CLAIM OF LIEN or PREFERRED MORTGAGE' (see attachment).
Deletion (when new owner does not want registration
and the boat is documented). The seller sends the following documents to the US National Vessel Documentation Center:
- Request of Deletion of Documentation in writing, including Vessel ID number and HIN/CIN code. (see attachment)
- Bill of Sale (see attachment)
- Original Certificate of Documentation
- Send Certificate of Deletion to the buyer (make sure the seller gives this to you)
Transfer of ownership
(when new owner wants registration
and the ship is documented). Send the following documents to the US National Vessel Documentation Center:
- Bill of Sale
- Original Certificate of Documentation(from former owner)
- Application for initial issue of Certificate of Documentation (see attachment)
- Authorization of credit card transactions (see attachment)
In case new owner wants to register/document and the boat is not documented now. Send to the US National Vessel Documentation Center:
- Application for simplified Measurements (see attachment)
- Application for initial issue of Certificate of Documentation
- Bill of Sale
- Builders Certificate (see attachment)
- Declaration of non-registration
- Authorization of credit card transactions
With regard to state registration and taxes
in California you can check out the following link:
BoatUS - Government Affairs - California Boating Information
Make sure the seller notifies the state register he has sold the boat.
Please send me a personal message if you need a professional sales agreement and you also want a protocol of delivery
Be sure to ask the seller for the following paperwork:
- Original invoice including VAT + proof of payment or a VAT Statement.
- Former Bill of Sale to proof he bought the boat and is therefor entitled to sell the boat to you.
- Builders Certificate to proof the boat is built according ISO, CE and or ABS requirements (se attachment. let the builder
fill this in if the BC is missing).