Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-01-2012, 16:31   #1

Boat: Nor'West 33
Arrow Puerto Vallarta Work Yards / Dry Storage - Opequimar Prices

We're in Banderas Bay and have been trying to decide what to do with the boat for the summer (while we go north and work). Had heard pretty good things about "summer packages" (for example, Nuevo Vallarta marina will give you a price of $0.30/foot if you prepay 6 months).

Weren't sure if we wanted to leave the boat in the water, so decided to check out the work yards / dry storage options... we need to haul out at some point to do a couple little projects anyways, and thought it might be cheaper.

Boy were we wrong!!!!

There are 2 work yard options in Banderas Bay (as far as we can tell anyways; please please correct me if you know something we don't!!). One is in the marina at La Cruz -- this work yard will NOT allow you to do ANY work on your boat yourself; and they are not a dry storage facility, just a haul out / work yard.

So we trekked into PV to check out Opequimar (the dry storage / work yard that's attached to Marina Vallarta). Here's what Opequimar quoted us for our Nor'West 33' sailboat:
Haulout: $365 USD
April 2012 - November 2012 Dry Storage: $570/month (no work allowed)
Work Yard: $74 / DAY
I can understand $365 for the haulout, I can even *almost* fathom $570/month for dry storage (although not when compared to Marina Seca San Carlos' $136/month).

What I cannot understand is how anyone is paying $74 a freaking day to work on their own boats!!! Are there really no other options? What are people doing down here that want to work on their own boats?? Working 24 hours / day to get the jobs done quick?? Maybe I'm just a cheap young'un but this seems outrageous to me.

If you have any insights or tips, I would love to hear them!!!

Leah
s/v Brio
With Brio | Life is too short to say later. And winters suck.
(currently in La Cruz, Banderas Bay)
synchronicity98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2013, 09:48   #2

Boat: Catalina 30 in PVR
Re: Puerto Vallarta Work Yards / Dry Storage - Opequimar Prices

We've been finding out the same thing. Our new to us boat is in Marina Vallarta. Needs bottom done. going to head down Feb3rd. I see your from Vancouver. We're in alberta. Probably saw your boat last time down. I do remember seeing one that had Vancouver on the back.
dnimigon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2013, 09:19   #3

Boat: Pearson 34-II

The exhorbitant costs charged by these Mexican yards is a classic example of the inability of the owners to understand simple principles of business. Rather than encouraging cruisers to use their facilities en masse at fair and reasonable prices creating a steady cash flow of out of country customers, they would rather price gouge the few unfortunate souls who have no other option. The problem with this approach is that most cruisers who know this tend to avoid those areas of cruising and opt for more cruiser friendly areas where they feel their business is appreciated and they know in a worst case scenario that they will not be monetarily devastated for a mechanical breakdown. Mexico is a very beautiful country with abundant natural resources but they never seem to be able to develop the economic potential that is so obvious to outsiders. Part is culture, part is a clearly defined class structure between rich and poor and lastly is a business model that is contrary to those used by Americans, Canadians, and Europeans (yes Oz, SA and NZ). Little has changed since I lived in Mexico in the 70's . . . only the horrific murder rate related to illegal drugs. If you want to send them a message (as many of the cruise lines have done) spend your money elsewhere. But don't expect them to come knocking at your door soon. Good luck and good sailing.
rognvald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2013, 17:35   #4

Boat: Formosa 51 Ketch
Send a message via Skype™ to rcmpegasus
Having left my boat three summers in Puerto Vallarta, I found the summer package at Paradise Village a pretty good deal. Nice safe place, they really keep an eye on things and a fair number of the neighbors stay or the summer. Worked out well for me.
Old 30-01-2013, 17:41   #5

Hauled and did my own work at Ixtapa a few years ago. It worked out well. Got the supplies in PV.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2013, 17:58   #6

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

Nothing to add, just wanted to say HI!
Landfall here, if you see us in La Cruz or Punta De Mita, come over and say hi.
Steve
Old 30-01-2013, 19:53   #7

Boat: Catalina 30 in PVR

Ixtapa seems like a bit of a hike to get down there. Probably tour the La Cruz and Punta De Mita when we get down here sunday. Plus all of the bay. If you see a white 30 ft. Catalina with blue covers and two people who look like they are lost yell at us. We'll stop and have a beer or pop. whatever your tastes.
Dave & Darlene
dnimigon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2013, 14:40   #8

Thought it might be time for an update!

We just dropped the boat back in the water after spending 6 days in the La Cruz Shipyard / Workyard.

As of March 1, 2013 they have 'relaxed' their rules to allow owners to work on their own boats. We had some play between our rudder and rudder shaft, and after hearing such great things about the machine shops in PV, we decided to haul and get it fixed before heading any further south.

The only funny bit is trying to get a straight price for the haulout. Maybe they're still trying to figure out what's fair? (Or what people will pay??) They first quoted us almost $700 to haul our little 33' sailboat... In the end we called around, made a pretty spreadsheet with their competitor's prices, and took it in to the office at the La Cruz yard.

They agreed to match Opequimar's haulout price ($360.36 or $10.92/ft), and we paid $1/ft/day to be in the workyard.

I have a couple pics and more details on our blog if you're interested...

http://www.withbrio.com

Machine shop was awesome, our rudder is now solid as a rock, and we're back in the water and ready to keep heading south... so not a bad deal all around.

Oh, and that darn Opequimar? Quoted us 1100 pesos/day to be in their workyard. Still crazy over there!
Old 19-03-2013, 16:43   #9

I've noticed that price of haul-outs have been going up everywhere. The Balboa Yacht Club now charges $75 day for their small rail and $100 per day for the large one.

Perhaps we can make a list of economical haul-out facilities. The San Carlos/Guaymas area should make the list. Are there any others?
Bambolera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2013, 04:59   #10

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

We hauled at La Cruz last year, before leaving Mexico and have to say I had a much better expereince there than at some US boatyards.

I had five deep scratches in the hull from a whale strike... I had them strip the hull paint, fair the gouges, apply two coates of barier coat and two coates of Comex. The total cost was $3400.

Everyday at about 4pm I would get a call from the yard manager explaining the work that had been done that day... The boat was spashed in 8 days.

Yes, I could have had a cheaper job, maybe in Mazatlan, but for me the experience was good and I would go back.

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2013, 13:53   #11

Boat: Tayana 37

Just hauled a 45ft ketch for survey yesterday and had it spray washed. $8830.00 pesos. NOT CHEAP!!! But as has been stated here earlier I will do as little buisness with Opequimar as possible. I will take my toys and play elsewhere.
Old 21-03-2013, 16:38   #12

The other thing is to realise that even though there's a fancy piece of paper with the rates all written out... those aren't really the prices.

Pull out a couple "is that your best price, really??" and "don't you have a March special??" and I guarantee you'll get a better rate!!

Our quote went from $18/ft to $14/ft without us even working for it... and in the end we negotiated down to $10.92/ft. The yards are definitely not full -- so I think they're willing to be a little more flexible just to get a bit more business.

Just my two cents anyways!

Leah
s/v Brio
With Brio | Life is too short to say later. And winters suck.
Old 21-03-2013, 17:04   #13

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Ahh it's Mexico !! Ya gotta make a deal !! if you pay there first price they have no respect for ya !! Ive had to have a couple of things done down there over the years, never paid the asking price yet! And have gotten really fine work done there !! Just sayin there Way of priceing is different then some of ya are used to !! They are Not insulted by you makeing a price adjustment !! Or just go some where else !!
Old 21-03-2013, 17:31   #14

Boat: Tayana 37

Yeah it didnt take to much time or effort to get a 10% reduction but considering where they started they had lots of room to move.

Tags
puerto vallarta, storage