Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2012, 18:19   #196

Boat: Tayana 37
Re: Published Costs of Cruising

Oh and Livia, u sure get a lot of hits, nice work
Old 06-12-2012, 22:14   #197

Boat: Dufour35 1982 and Moody 425

I would love to have insurance. Also a Rolls possibly a lear jet and if Liz is tired of London may be Buck place as well.

Old Bossy needs to realize that life is not all about him and his wants and needs. The Insurance Industry is just that an industry to make profit. Unfortunately for them I can not contribute to their dividend cheques this year. I paid boat insurance every year for 20 years. Never had a claim. Then one day it was demanded that I have an out of water survey completed, in the winter. I informed them that I was not willing to shell out an extra $2000. After several offers I decided to tell them to give me fire and third party insurance. They refused so I told them to go away. Shocked they then bit by bit dropped their demands for a survey and then cut 20% of my premium. Being a man of humble means but having pride I told them to shove it!

I miss having insurance and make sure all my through hulls are secure and that the electrical systems are top notch and hope one day to be rich enough and therefore arrogant enough to join Bossy and look down my nose at all the plebs who dare seek out the true meaning of Ocean Cruising .
NorthPacific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 06:38   #198

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
So to get a meaningful, relevant answer about budget you would have to include in the question at a minimum:

1. Your boat: size, age, condition.
2. Planned lifestyle.
3. Your cruising style IE where, how often and how far you sail.
4. Cruising area.

When I lived in the Bahamas back in the late seventies I lived on about $100/month. I never stayed at a marina, sailed or rowed everywhere I went, mostly lived on beans and rice, spaghetti, etc and the seafood I caught. After a couple of years the big bills finally came due. New alternator, a new main, replaced some of the rigging and general overhaul. So the $100/month plus all this became closer to $300/month for a two year period.
Thanks for this Skip. I appreciate yours, and Don's efforts to provide detailed info about actual expenditures. But as you say, the amounts are so specific to who you are, what and where you boat is, and how you live, that it's hard to generalize from other people's specifics.

For what it's worth, my partner and I spent about $13,000 on all things we chart as sailing/boat expenses. We are still land-based, and on the Great Lakes, so our cruising usually involves one long trip (34 days this year), plus a number of smaller outings (2 to 5 days) throughout our short season. We are also working towards our departure date of Spring 2014, and are upgrading and investing in our floating home.

Our major expense categories:
  • Over 1/2 this expense ($8,000) was spent on upgrades and maintenance ... mostly upgrades.
  • Spent $1,700 on crew upgrades (courses, books, reference books, etc.).
  • We spent $1,400 on specific cruising costs (food, booze, propane, diesel, etc.). It also includes two nights at a marina.
  • We spent $540 on insurance (fixed-value replacement & liability). We have no choice but to have insurance. I would chose not to have replacement insurance if it was an option, just like we carry no insurance on our house.
  • Spent $780 for launch/haul & winter storage
Not sure if this helps anyone, but these are our numbers for 2012.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:32   #199

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthPacific View Post
I would love to have insurance. Also a Rolls possibly a lear jet and if Liz is tired of London may be Buck place as well.

Old Bossy needs to realize that life is not all about him and his wants and needs. The Insurance Industry is just that an industry to make profit. Unfortunately for them I can not contribute to their dividend cheques this year. I paid boat insurance every year for 20 years. Never had a claim. Then one day it was demanded that I have an out of water survey completed, in the winter. I informed them that I was not willing to shell out an extra $2000. After several offers I decided to tell them to give me fire and third party insurance. They refused so I told them to go away. Shocked they then bit by bit dropped their demands for a survey and then cut 20% of my premium. Being a man of humble means but having pride I told them to shove it!

I miss having insurance and make sure all my through hulls are secure and that the electrical systems are top notch and hope one day to be rich enough and therefore arrogant enough to join Bossy and look down my nose at all the plebs who dare seek out the true meaning of Ocean Cruising .
Don't be a jerk by getting personal and congratulations on a failed negotiation. And by the way... I only fly Gulfstream.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 13:42   #200
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthPacific View Post

Thanks for your input
Old 07-12-2012, 15:19   #201

Boat: Dufour35 1982 and Moody 425

"Don't be a jerk by getting personal and congratulations on a failed negotiation. And by the way... I only fly Gulfstream."

Nar Bossy relax how can I be personal no idea who you are? But I am commenting on what I consider an elitist and pompous attitude that your posts portray. LOL I suppose flying Gulfstream means something to you, good for you! Enjoy polishing your mooring bouy.

But if you would like to renegotiate and pay my insurance quote, pay the haul out fees and survey fees I would consider promising to stay away from your polished mooring bouy. Nothing wrong with good insurance.

Or buy me an epirb and I will promise to stay out of your SEA and in my Ocean. See I can be reasonable :-) and very unjerk like!
NorthPacific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 16:22   #202

Boat: Currently boatless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
Hasn't this thread just gone way off track?

I keep looking at it to see if there new pulbished costs of cruising!

I last updated the list in February 2012 and I keep the list updated on the original post on our blog:

SV Estrellita 5.10b: The Cost of Cruising

Again, if you know of anyone actively cruising who keeps track of their expenses and posts them online in a publicly accessible place, let me know and I'll link to their blog/record. People can evaluate the links on the original poster's blog and make their own judgments about whether the person posting the budget is similar or not to themselves.

We just flew back to the US from French Polynesia with the boat on the hard for hurricane season so I finally have free, fast internet again. Delicious.
Livia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 02:20   #203
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Again, if you know of anyone actively cruising who keeps track of their expenses and posts them online in a publicly accessible place, let me know and I'll link to their blog/record.............

............People can evaluate the links on the original poster's blog and make their own judgments about whether the person posting the budget is similar or not to themselves.
I think that linking onto others doing similar is a useful thing - and then leaving folk to make own judgements is the only "answer".

Of course that approach doesn't meet the needs of the Spoonfeeders, but nothing does .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 02:31   #204
Armchair Bucketeer

At the risk of carrying on the insurance de-rail .........

......whilst I think that at least 3rd Party is prudent (and sometimes useful, even if only to keep a Marina happy) - nonetheless I am firmly in the camp of individual responsibility. If "you" are worried about damage or loss to your own possessions or persons then you get insurance (and use it), rather than expecting to use (freeload on? ) the insurance of others.

Not to say that you shouldn't claim against another, personally or via own insurance company (if they are not insured and it wipes them out then that is their choice / hard luck) - but nonetheless I see no reason to expect others to provide "you" with a financial safety blanket. If folks need a zero risk experiance with a financial comfort blanket provided by others there is always Disneyland .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 04:39   #205
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
At the risk of carrying on the insurance de-rail .........

......whilst I think that at least 3rd Party is prudent (and sometimes useful, even if only to keep a Marina happy) - nonetheless I am firmly in the camp of individual responsibility. If "you" are worried about damage or loss to your own possessions or persons then you get insurance (and use it), rather than expecting to use (freeload on? ) the insurance of others.

Not to say that you shouldn't claim against another, personally or via own insurance company (if they are not insured and it wipes them out then that is their choice / hard luck) - but nonetheless I see no reason to expect others to provide "you" with a financial safety blanket. If folks need a zero risk experiance with a financial comfort blanket provided by others there is always Disneyland .
Freeload on other??? You damage my boat and I want it fixed how is that freeloading?

And if they don't have insurance and have no assets what do you do? And even if they have assets but don't do the right thing on their own what do you do?

I think the decision to not have at least liability insurance is like saying "screw you".
Old 08-12-2012, 06:11   #206

Quote:
I think the decision to not have at least liability insurance is like saying "screw you".
No ... it's saying I've assessed the actual risks, and made a rational decision. Your demand that I reduce all risk to zero is what is unreasonable.

P.S. I tried to play nice here Don by not continuing the insurance discussion, as you've requested, but since you're carrying it on, I assume you now think it OK to do so.
Old 08-12-2012, 06:22   #207
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
No ... it's saying I've assessed the actual risks, and made a rational decision. Your demand that I reduce all risk to zero is what is unreasonable.

P.S. I tried to play nice here Don by not continuing the insurance discussion, as you've requested, but since you're carrying it on, I assume you now think it OK to do so.
The insurance genie is so far out of the bottle that it just doesn't matter anymore.

I'm not looking to fight. I just don't understand how one's risk taking should apply to others. For the most part the insurance question is money based, if you are low in money you are more likely to not get insurance and not able to pay for damage to someone else's boat.

You can say you are willing to risk your boat and dreams and I'm OK with that. All I ask is that you not risk mine or others should something happen by having at least liability insurance.

I image most here own a car, is it insured?
Old 08-12-2012, 06:29   #208

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Quote:

The insurance genie is so far out of the bottle that it just doesn't matter anymore.

I'm not looking to fight. I just don't understand how one's risk taking should apply to others. For the most part the insurance question is money based, if you are low in money you are more likely to not get insurance and not able to pay for damage to someone else's boat.

You can say you are willing to risk your boat and dreams and I'm OK with that. All I ask is that you not risk mine or others should something happen.

Last I read Lin & Larry Pardey didn't carry insurance. They were completely self insured ... just saying.

Car insurance is required in almost all cases by state law. You don't have a choice.
Old 08-12-2012, 06:51   #209

Quote:
That's an excellent point, and underscores what I'm trying to say. Regardless of the fact that car insurance is legally mandatory in many locales, the fact is the real risk involved in driving a vehicle is many times higher than what most cruising boats will ever face.

There are plenty of situations where boat insurance would be reasonable and rational. But a fear-based desire to cover all possible "what if..." scenarios is fundamentally irrational. No one has enough money to buy away all risk.
Old 08-12-2012, 07:16   #210
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
There are plenty of situations where boat insurance would be reasonable and rational. But a fear-based desire to cover all possible "what if..." scenarios is fundamentally irrational. No one has enough money to buy away all risk.
I don't believe I have ever tried to cover all the "what if" scenarios. All I'm saying is that it is reasonable that people have insurance to cover the result of their actions on others by having at least liability insurance.

My compensative and liability insurance for my boat is a lot less than for my car even though the boat is worth a lot more than my car!

BTW - in New Hampshrine where I live you aren't required to have car insurance. Unless you have had a past accident. It's like closing the barn door after the horses have gotten out already.

PS - What does Lin and Larry have to do with anything here?

Tags
cruising