Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2012, 10:24   #91

Boat: Leopard Catamaran
Re: Property Tax on My New Boat !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyonr3 View Post
the only issues are people that think they have the right without paying for it..
I pay around $1000.00 per year on property tax on my boat, give or take a few dollars.. and it only takes a simple weekend on the boat and a trip down river to see where the money goes and sorry if you dont agree, but I'm very happy with my taxes..

I'll try to make it short as possible but stick with me here..
As we leave the Marina it s 24 mile trip up the Georgina Slough to the sacramento River, with covered overhanging trees and a parklike atmosphere and all maintained by taxes..
We'll go through two swing bridges on the way, maned by the state to open upon your request..
On the Sacramento River now, and through another bridge at Isleton, opening upon request, and another at Rio Vista which is a monster bridge on a State Hiway..
We'll tie up at the public dock at Rio Vista off the Police Station and walk down town to grab a few last minute items, no charge at the dock..
Then its a good run for the day down river past waterfront parks, wildlife preserves and anchorages, free of charge, on state property..
And we'll drop anchor at China Camp.. another state park, spend the night and have a walk around the grounds and the many marked trails, all maintained by the state..
From there we'll head to the east side of Angle Islend and drop anchor, go ashore and have lunch in the pick-nic area.. again a state park..
And we'll end the day at Aquatic Park off the San Francisco waterfront tie to a mooring ball, At No Charge..
On the way back to our Dock in the Delta, where we have over 1500 miles of waterways all avalable to Me the boater, at No Charge..
and repete the process, Through the bridges, and every so often when a bridge tender open the swing bridge, he'll walk out on the deck of the office above and give you a wave, welcoming you back home..
and last but not least, when we pull up to the main dock befor putting our boat away, we'll pump our waiste tanks empty at the pump-out.. againg paid for by the state..
So we've spent the last 4 to 5 days on the water, exploring and having a blast,
all from the expence of our state waterways.. from your taxes..
when you compare that to a 100 dollar night in a motel with a pool outside, I think I'm getting my moneys worth...

Now when it comes to the rest of the taxes we here in California pay, well take a drive up through the Redwoods, or a coastal ride from SF to Montery, or really put yourself out and do a couple days on the Pacific Crest Trail..
California is one of the nicest places in the world, and it takes funds to keep it that way, and I for one dont mind doing my share..
If you are so blind to only gripe about what you are paying, without really knowing where the money goes, you yourself have issues..
Well this thread has gone off the deep end into politics.

But here's my 2 cents for what it's worth. The Government can't really claim responsibility for the beautiful natural areas can they?

They were there thousands of years before we interferred, and will remain ,if tax dollars don't pay to pave them, thousands of years after we leave. The swing bridges you are so proud of? With out the tax we all so gladly pay would be untouched natural area, with NO BRIDGES to mar the beauty.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:45   #92
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

kali property taxes, city by city, pay for police protection, fire dept, schools, municipal benefits, etc. not the coastal commission or other stuff of the state. ye got a muni pool?? s from property taxes. your home is blazing and someone comes to put out the fire--property taxes. your kids go to school--property taxes. have fun.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 18:47   #93
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyonr3
Now when it comes to the rest of the taxes we here in California pay, well take a drive up through the Redwoods, or a coastal ride from SF to Montery, or really put yourself out and do a couple days on the Pacific Crest Trail..
California is one of the nicest places in the world, and it takes funds to keep it that way, and I for one dont mind doing my share..
If you are so blind to only gripe about what you are paying, without really knowing where the money goes, you yourself have issues..
As a fourth generation Califronian, I do wish you would keep quiet about how great California is.

I left SoCal in 1984 because I couldn't find any Californians... Nothing wrong with transplants that a good bus ride wouldn't fix...

So to the gripers, pack your trash. Florida waits for you...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 18:55   #94

Boat: private yacht always moving

DONT SEND THEM TO FLORIDA, WE HAVE ENOUGH OF THEM ALREADY
captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 19:14   #95
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

mebbe they will get stuck in teejass....lol
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 19:37   #96

Boat: PDQ 32 LRC

THEY? THEM? Who exactly are you referring to? Surprising sentiment for cruisers who are often guests/transplants in other countries.
Jerry Woodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 05:07   #97
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"California ... and it takes funds to keep it that way, "
You know I've heard that excuse both ways and the fact that it is given both ways means it is BS.
"Oh, we have to charge high motor vehicle fees because there are so few cars and so many miles of road" and then "Oh, we have to charge high motor vehicle fees because the vehicle density is so high, the roads get a pounding because there are too many users"
Ayeah, BS. The taxes PER CAPITA should in theory be less when there are more people to shoulder the burdens. And Cali does have lots of people. The beaches, the redwoods, some of these things will take care of themselves, it isn't like Cali has to buy Miracle Grow For Redwoods. Wanna keep the beaches clean? If other states can do it with a $5 parking fee, so can Cali. Same same on so many things all over. Some states just get the job done, others featherbed and find excuses why they need 2x-3x as much tax money. The politicians in so many states claim either they are doing what the people asked, or doing what is good for the people. And the bottom line is that deficit spending and impending bankruptcies aren't good government, no matter who, where, or what the reason.
Politicians (in every state) ensure that when bond proposals go on the ballot, they are worded "backwards" to confuse the voters. And somehow, no one ever tells the voter that most bonds are designed to enrich the bond BUYERS, while actually increasing taxes to pay off the bond interest and fees. The rubes, ergh, voters, never get told anything except "It's a bond, so we don't have to raise your taxes."

There should be a little pre-qualification test outside every voting booth. "Sorry Sir, you failed to grasp the issues. Come back and try again in four years." Property tax should come as no surprise to the folks who live under it. In theory, they voted for it!
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:59   #98

Boat: Pearson 34-II

This blog has more to do with fiscal mismanagement than it does with taxation since when a municipality, state or the Federal government cannot meet its budget obligations, it has many choices: printing money(Feds), borrowing money, bonds, and taxation. And when about 10% of the population pay the majority of taxes, both State and Federal, these entities must replenish their coffers from those who CAN pay. It is the tired and worn story of Takers vs. Makers and where do you think the majority of us fall that have a vessel over 16 feet? This is a simple leap of logic for those fiscally irresponsible representatives we elect and the concept bodes well with their less economically fortunate and ever needy constituents (Takers). In the case of California and Illinois ,(the latter state in which I unfortunately reside), their pots are empty with no chance for resolution and they will continue to search for ways to increase revenue rather than limit spending. They are fiscally and ethically bankrupt. My question is: When the Takers outnumber the Makers, who's going to pay the bill? Just another tax, huh?
rognvald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 19:14   #99
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

To be fair 100% of all citizens pay taxes, especially state and local. Maybe not in the few states without sales tax, but all pay some form including FICA, sales tax, etc. In poor some states like TN the sales tax is around 9% which is nearly what a rich guy (certain mormon) pays! The sales tax on boats under 16' in TN is actually higher tan for bigger boats!

This 10% of the people pay all the taxes is pure Rush Limbaugh BS.
Old 05-06-2012, 05:10   #100

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
To be fair 100% of all citizens pay taxes, especially state and local. Maybe not in the few states without sales tax, but all pay some form including FICA, sales tax, etc. In poor some states like TN the sales tax is around 9% which is nearly what a rich guy (certain mormon) pays! The sales tax on boats under 16' in TN is actually higher tan for bigger boats!

I found out TN sales tax when I bought my boat. I still have to pay the tax on the boat itself but when I went to register the trailer it sits on, I think it was closer to 9.5% so I'm not really looking forward to getting it paid on the boat.
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 05:40   #101

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
As a fourth generation Califronian, I do wish you would keep quiet about how great California is.

I left SoCal in 1984 because I couldn't find any Californians... Nothing wrong with transplants that a good bus ride wouldn't fix...

So to the gripers, pack your trash. Florida waits for you...
Ex-Calif,

I too am a (thankfully) former California native and I will appreciate you NOT suggesting that more people relocate to Florida, and particularly not the type that have infested California since the (in)famous "Summer of Love", demanding everything for nothing. We're doing quite nicely without them, thank you!
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 07:11   #102

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

Quote:

Well put. Everyone is taxed Equally just that some are more Equal than others.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 11:30   #103

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:

Firstly, no state budget and certainly not the Federal Government's budget could be supported solely by state sales or Fica tax. We need income tax to pay for the party. And, to say that all citizens pay tax is only partly true since those in the lower income levels receive tax refunds at the end of the year to offset their income levels and negate any taxes paid on goods and services in the previous calendar year. Unfortunately, us "Makers" pay significant sums in taxes on our properties and our personal incomes and without us "Makers" the government would cease to function. This is fact. Secondly, the fact that sales tax on boats under 16 feet in TN is higher than bigger boats is because the purchase price of the boat is small in comparison to larger boats and the greedy boys in the Capitol need a way to offset this lower price and still feel they're getting their cake. I don't think this is the case in most states but it's just another way to manipulate the system and fleece its citizens. And finally, you can go to any one of hundreds of documented sources that show time and again that the top 10% pay 71% of the Federal Tax in the U.S. This is not the political diatribe of the Right but rather a commonly known established fact. The real problem we face as a nation is that when the scale becomes unbalanced and the Takers outnumber the Makers the party is over and we go the way of Greece, Portugal, Italy, Spain and perhaps France. This is irrefutable and here's just one source that documents this fact: www.heritage.org/federalbudget/top10-percent-income-earners.
rognvald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 12:51   #104

Boat: PDQ 32 LRC

I think you've got it backwards.

Makers:

Takers:

Jerry Woodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 13:21   #105

Boat: private yacht always moving

Quote: