Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-05-2012, 13:43   #76
Registered User
 
LakeSuperior's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'
Posts: 1,581
Images: 7
Re: Property Tax on My New Boat !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyonr3 View Post
I grew up here in California, have always paid my taxes, and have prospered along the way.. I own 3 homes , as rentals, A 42 foot boat assested at 100k and a business.. and I probably pay more in taxes, both personal property and income than most anyone here on this forum..
And from my point of view, Its worth every damn cent I've spent!!!
Living here I personally see where the money goes, and not always agree but I know I bennifit from the money given..
I'm a member of a number of Organizations like RBOC so I have a firsthand view of the happenings that many dont..
There is a project in the works right now that the taxes have supported, its a strange bubble making item that crosses the Gerogina Slough at the sacramento river.. designed to re-route the Salmon down the sacramento instead of being deverted to the south part of the delta where they eventually die..
befor the bubble machine the salmon were taged and only about 40% returned to the Upper sacramento to Span.. With the deverter, my understanding is that over 80% of the Salmon have returned to the upper sacramento..
Being that I live here, I get the oppertunity to look at the big picture to see where the funds go..
so the next time , if you do , take a good look at the state of california, the levee systems that keep the water in check, the water quality, The lakes and streams full of fish, the county waterfront parks, and the anchorages we all take for granted..
I'm one for "If you dont like it, dont let the door hit you on the tail on your way out"
as for myself, I grew up here and I love this place........
If having the State of California spend your money for you is such a good deal then in November you can even get a better deal by voting to increase your taxes.

I heard Jerry Brown on NPR this AM saying that California will be asking for your vote to raise the tax rates.

By the way there is no rule about over paying your taxes. You can always send more.
__________________

__________________
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2012, 15:26   #77
Registered User
 
Gelfling's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Stingray Point, Chesapeake Bay
Boat: Ericson, 28+
Posts: 294
Send a message via Skype™ to Gelfling
Re: Property Tax on My New Boat !

I clicked on this thread because the our family is strongly considering getting a bigger (newer) boat and becoming live aboards. As I am one to 'live within my means' I look at about all the threads on 'cruising costs'.

The public school system has failed us and we already home school. So this just takes us one step closer to doing what we should be doing anyway. (I believe taxes help pay for this......should I be asking for a rebate?)

The 'snag' that we are having right now is that the house is currently be assessed at $30k more than it is being appraised at. Like I said...I like to live in my means so we are talking about a difference of 20% in my case! So....in a free market...the market decides the price...right? I guess I should be fortunate that I owe less than both (as the original sale price was less than both plus 10 years of paying on it)......but something just doesn't seem right about this. It would appear that all the absent taxes from 'foreclosures' are being pilled onto people that actually had some sort of fiscal sense.

To me.....this..........and taxing a tax........just seems like legal 'theft'. But my chin is up and I know I will be out there with the rest of ya as soon as I can figure this all out!
__________________

__________________
Gelfling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2012, 19:38   #78
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: West Indies
Boat: Burger 74' motor yacht, 65 foot 12 metre, Flicka and sailing dinghy
Posts: 635
They key to understanding California state taxes and budget is the symbiotic relationship between public sector unions and Democrats, and cowardice of some Republicans ( minority)
Unions contribute to the campaigns of Democrats and give other bennies under the table.
Democrats approve huge pay raises and cushy pensions to state employees.
The cycle continues
In boom times, revenues are up and spending goes wild.
When normalcy returns, there is no money
The top tax rate of 10% kicks in at about $45,000 in income
Less than 1000 Californians pay something like 20 percent of total income tax, so in bad times the state revenues are decimated.
Prison guards start out at close to 100,000$ and get paid from the minute they arrive at the parking lot at work.
Retired lifeguards have pensions of over $200,000
Firemen? Even more
Imagine returning at age 50 and getting a $300,000 a year pension
You can't fire schoolteachers unless they are guilty of a sex crime. When they are caught in videos doing the deed,they resign right away and retain their pensions.
Termed out legislators get cushy jobs on state commissions for$150,000 a year for attending two meetings a month
California has one sixth of US population but ne third of welfare recipients
Public universities top heavy with administrators including burgeoning "diversity studies" programs..go to college not to learn engineering or math or anything useful, but what it means to be (name your minority or "oppressed" group
But the real oppressed are those who try to have a business, which is not quite a criminal offense but close to it
That is why i moved to Florida
__________________
To a hammer, everything looks like a nail.
dohenyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2012, 20:11   #79
Registered User
 
captainKJ's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: 3rd wave passed the sea wall
Boat: private yacht always moving
Posts: 1,388
Re: Property Tax on My New Boat !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyonr3 View Post
I grew up here in California, have always paid my taxes, and have prospered along the way.. I own 3 homes , as rentals, A 42 foot boat assested at 100k and a business.. and I probably pay more in taxes, both personal property and income than most anyone here on this forum..
And from my point of view, Its worth every damn cent I've spent!!!
Living here I personally see where the money goes, and not always agree but I know I bennifit from the money given..
I'm a member of a number of Organizations like RBOC so I have a firsthand view of the happenings that many dont..
There is a project in the works right now that the taxes have supported, its a strange bubble making item that crosses the Gerogina Slough at the sacramento river.. designed to re-route the Salmon down the sacramento instead of being deverted to the south part of the delta where they eventually die..
befor the bubble machine the salmon were taged and only about 40% returned to the Upper sacramento to Span.. With the deverter, my understanding is that over 80% of the Salmon have returned to the upper sacramento..
Being that I live here, I get the oppertunity to look at the big picture to see where the funds go..
so the next time , if you do , take a good look at the state of california, the levee systems that keep the water in check, the water quality, The lakes and streams full of fish, the county waterfront parks, and the anchorages we all take for granted..
I'm one for "If you dont like it, dont let the door hit you on the tail on your way out"
as for myself, I grew up here and I love this place........
NO disrespect meant, BUT you got issues. You are one of the first people I have read about that seems to enjoy paying taxes. Glad you enjoyed one project having to do with salmon. How many billions of dollars have been wasted by government on useless projects, over spending on projects, and just wasted?

If the government did not waste the money it does you could have had a bigger boat and several more houses with the tax dollars you would have saved
__________________
captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2012, 20:17   #80
Registered User

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders
Posts: 1,590
Re: Property Tax on My New Boat !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Woodward View Post
Another way of looking at the sales tax in CA is to factor that into the purchase price up front. Use it as a negotiating tool. One could even write the contract with the clause "seller pays sales tax". A yearly property tax of 1% doesn't bother me. If I'm living there and using state waterways and facilities, $83.00/month (on a $100K boat) seems reasonable.


$83/month IS OUTRAGEOUS!!! Soon California will tax itself out of people. Worse, Massachusetts has it head locked onto the back end of California. Crazy!

Foggy
__________________
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2012, 20:31   #81
Registered User

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders
Posts: 1,590
Re: Property Tax on My New Boat !

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyP View Post
Man, it was so sad to read so many angry and fearful responses.

The complaints about taxes, use fees, etc. are problems of abundance. Not real problems.

I get to pay my taxes: local, state and federal.
I get to live here: Good & bad stuff, smart & ignorant people, etc.
I get to participate in all the costs & benefits of living in our county/state & country.


Don't like paying your taxes & Not sure the benefits of our/your/this county/state/country are worth it...

You have choices:
1) Continue with mindless & reactionary platitudes,
2) Move---Lots of other people willing to trade places & tax rates with you.
3) Participate and make changes. It shows you care and are willing to take action and not just mouth soundbites.
(sorry, that last choice was a little bitter)

There are other choices! Elect officials who will put a stop to our national welfare state. Even unemployment benefits are abused. Heck, why should Stumblebum work for $10/ hr when he can continue collecting unemployment benefits for over two years!!! Thousands are now signing to get SSI benifits rather than get a job! Crazy.

ENOUGH!
__________________
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2012, 20:36   #82
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: St Augustine, FL
Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat
Posts: 2,838
Re: Property Tax on My New Boat !

Quote:
Originally Posted by dohenyboy View Post
They key to understanding California state taxes and budget is the symbiotic relationship between public sector unions and Democrats, and cowardice of some Republicans ( minority)
Unions contribute to the campaigns of Democrats and give other bennies under the table.
Democrats approve huge pay raises and cushy pensions to state employees.
The cycle continues
In boom times, revenues are up and spending goes wild.
When normalcy returns, there is no money
The top tax rate of 10% kicks in at about $45,000 in income
Less than 1000 Californians pay something like 20 percent of total income tax, so in bad times the state revenues are decimated.
Prison guards start out at close to 100,000$ and get paid from the minute they arrive at the parking lot at work.
Retired lifeguards have pensions of over $200,000
Firemen? Even more
Imagine returning at age 50 and getting a $300,000 a year pension
You can't fire schoolteachers unless they are guilty of a sex crime. When they are caught in videos doing the deed,they resign right away and retain their pensions.
Termed out legislators get cushy jobs on state commissions for$150,000 a year for attending two meetings a month
California has one sixth of US population but ne third of welfare recipients
Public universities top heavy with administrators including burgeoning "diversity studies" programs..go to college not to learn engineering or math or anything useful, but what it means to be (name your minority or "oppressed" group
But the real oppressed are those who try to have a business, which is not quite a criminal offense but close to it
That is why i moved to Florida
I'd like to meet that 200K lifeguard! Bet he pays a bunch in taxes!
__________________
Check out my MoJo: Facebook.com/mojomarine1
Boatguy30 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2012, 20:40   #83
Registered User
 
Capt Phil's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Stateline NV
Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54
Posts: 2,749
Re: Property Tax on My New Boat !

Your right JimmyP... I moved... screw 'em. Capt Phil
__________________
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2012, 06:13   #84
Registered User
 
denverd0n's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 3,953
Images: 6
Re: Property Tax on My New Boat !

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainKJ View Post
You are one of the first people I have read about that seems to enjoy paying taxes.
No one enjoys paying taxes. At least no one that I've ever met, or heard about. The people who say things like that never really mean it. Notice that the people who say things like "I'm happy to pay my taxes," never pay any extra. They could. They could send in all of their spare money if they wanted, and the government would be glad to take it. But they don't.

So, when you hear rich people like George Clooney talking about how he thinks he should have to pay more taxes, what he is REALLY saying is that he wants everyone ELSE to have to pay more taxes. He could pay more right now if he wanted, but that is not what he wants. What he wants is for the government to force everyone else in his peer group to pay more, and only THEN would he be willing to also pay more.

I'm not sure if it is self-deception, rationalization, or just a garden variety double-standard, but it is definitely NOT about actually enjoying paying taxes!
__________________
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2012, 09:06   #85
Senior Cruiser
 
Randyonr3's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Nov 2007
Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
Posts: 1,836
Re: Property Tax on My New Boat !

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainKJ View Post
NO disrespect meant, BUT you got issues. You are one of the first people I have read about that seems to enjoy paying taxes. Glad you enjoyed one project having to do with salmon. How many billions of dollars have been wasted by government on useless projects, over spending on projects, and just wasted?

If the government did not waste the money it does you could have had a bigger boat and several more houses with the tax dollars you would have saved
the only issues are people that think they have the right without paying for it..
I pay around $1000.00 per year on property tax on my boat, give or take a few dollars.. and it only takes a simple weekend on the boat and a trip down river to see where the money goes and sorry if you dont agree, but I'm very happy with my taxes..

I'll try to make it short as possible but stick with me here..
As we leave the Marina it s 24 mile trip up the Georgina Slough to the sacramento River, with covered overhanging trees and a parklike atmosphere and all maintained by taxes..
We'll go through two swing bridges on the way, maned by the state to open upon your request..
On the Sacramento River now, and through another bridge at Isleton, opening upon request, and another at Rio Vista which is a monster bridge on a State Hiway..
We'll tie up at the public dock at Rio Vista off the Police Station and walk down town to grab a few last minute items, no charge at the dock..
Then its a good run for the day down river past waterfront parks, wildlife preserves and anchorages, free of charge, on state property..
And we'll drop anchor at China Camp.. another state park, spend the night and have a walk around the grounds and the many marked trails, all maintained by the state..
From there we'll head to the east side of Angle Islend and drop anchor, go ashore and have lunch in the pick-nic area.. again a state park..
And we'll end the day at Aquatic Park off the San Francisco waterfront tie to a mooring ball, At No Charge..
On the way back to our Dock in the Delta, where we have over 1500 miles of waterways all avalable to Me the boater, at No Charge..
and repete the process, Through the bridges, and every so often when a bridge tender open the swing bridge, he'll walk out on the deck of the office above and give you a wave, welcoming you back home..
and last but not least, when we pull up to the main dock befor putting our boat away, we'll pump our waiste tanks empty at the pump-out.. againg paid for by the state..
So we've spent the last 4 to 5 days on the water, exploring and having a blast,
all from the expence of our state waterways.. from your taxes..
when you compare that to a 100 dollar night in a motel with a pool outside, I think I'm getting my moneys worth...

Now when it comes to the rest of the taxes we here in California pay, well take a drive up through the Redwoods, or a coastal ride from SF to Montery, or really put yourself out and do a couple days on the Pacific Crest Trail..
California is one of the nicest places in the world, and it takes funds to keep it that way, and I for one dont mind doing my share..
If you are so blind to only gripe about what you are paying, without really knowing where the money goes, you yourself have issues..
__________________
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2012, 10:08   #86
cat herder, extreme blacksheep
 
zeehag's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: furycame alley , tropics, mexico for now
Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Posts: 17,777
Images: 56
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
Re: Property Tax on My New Boat !

when you live on board and have boat as primary residence it makes 7000 dollars they allow a 7000 dollar tax break on the value(market) OF BOAT. sales tax doesnt change. if you are sent a form to fill out for evaluating boat, are you very honest?/ is one reason why i keep my boats not shiney--makes a difference to tax man. ROFL.


ok, taxman--i am not lying about the condition of eitheer of my boats and one is no onger in san diego.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2012, 17:08   #87
Registered User
 
kthoennes's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Sioux Falls, SD
Boat: Carver 3207 Aft Cabin, 32'
Posts: 289
I think you're missing the point randy. I don't think reasonable people mind paying reasonable taxes - heck, I'm a government employee myself and I boat on a 26 mile portion of the Missouri River created by a huge public dam project bought with tax money. What triggers the frustration and anger is squandering, and aggressive, bottomless appetites for more tax money without limits. Government employees with astronomical pensions (that we find comical and outrageous here), public costs and projects and expenditure levels that are insane and unsustainable. I'm on a closed body of water of course, I don't have the extensive marine public infrastructure that you do, but on the other hand we do have that giant dam that wasn't cheap (well, it was at the time of construction). $42 a year for my boat taxes and registration. That's the point, some states are financially reasonable and responsible, other states have gone off the deep end.
__________________
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2012, 20:40   #88
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 13,056
Re: Property Tax on My New Boat !

" but on the other hand we do have that giant dam that wasn't cheap (well, it was at the time of construction)."
Either your dam was built with the intention of making a profit from hydropower, or maing a profit from flood control--in which cases it wouldn't matter if it was cheap because it was an investment--or your dam was part of creeping socialism and bringing cheap rural power, like the TVA projects. That's a matter of philosophy, or politics.

"What triggers the frustration and anger is squandering, and aggressive, bottomless appetites for more tax money without limits. " And you know, the really funny or sad thing is, the folks who so the squandering and stealing, the folks with insatiable appetites, somehow comvince the rubes, ergh, valued contituents, to vote for them every time, year after year. Somehow, the folks who might just do a good job aren't sexy enough, or interested enough, to run or get the vote.

"AUTHOR:Benjamin Franklin (1706–90)
QUOTATION:“Well, Doctor, what have we got—a Republic or a Monarchy?”
“A Republic, if you can keep it."

...attributed to BENJAMIN FRANKLIN—at the close of the Constitutional Convention of 1787, when queried as he left Independence Hall on the final day of deliberation—in the notes of Dr. James McHenry, one of Maryland’s delegates to the Convention."

But I think some things and some places, like Khalifonia, would have even amazed Franklin. What is it now, $22 billion in debt for the next budget?

Then again, we forget. We're on our second national government in the US, the first one did actually fail.
__________________
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 21:54   #89
Registered User
 
Jerry Woodward's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kentucky
Boat: PDQ 32 LRC
Posts: 278
Re: Property Tax on My New Boat !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyonr3 View Post
the only issues are people that think they have the right without paying for it..
I pay around $1000.00 per year on property tax on my boat, give or take a few dollars.. and it only takes a simple weekend on the boat and a trip down river to see where the money goes and sorry if you dont agree, but I'm very happy with my taxes..

I'll try to make it short as possible but stick with me here..
As we leave the Marina it s 24 mile trip up the Georgina Slough to the sacramento River, with covered overhanging trees and a parklike atmosphere and all maintained by taxes..
We'll go through two swing bridges on the way, maned by the state to open upon your request..
On the Sacramento River now, and through another bridge at Isleton, opening upon request, and another at Rio Vista which is a monster bridge on a State Hiway..
We'll tie up at the public dock at Rio Vista off the Police Station and walk down town to grab a few last minute items, no charge at the dock..
Then its a good run for the day down river past waterfront parks, wildlife preserves and anchorages, free of charge, on state property..
And we'll drop anchor at China Camp.. another state park, spend the night and have a walk around the grounds and the many marked trails, all maintained by the state..
From there we'll head to the east side of Angle Islend and drop anchor, go ashore and have lunch in the pick-nic area.. again a state park..
And we'll end the day at Aquatic Park off the San Francisco waterfront tie to a mooring ball, At No Charge..
On the way back to our Dock in the Delta, where we have over 1500 miles of waterways all avalable to Me the boater, at No Charge..
and repete the process, Through the bridges, and every so often when a bridge tender open the swing bridge, he'll walk out on the deck of the office above and give you a wave, welcoming you back home..
and last but not least, when we pull up to the main dock befor putting our boat away, we'll pump our waiste tanks empty at the pump-out.. againg paid for by the state..
So we've spent the last 4 to 5 days on the water, exploring and having a blast,
all from the expence of our state waterways.. from your taxes..
when you compare that to a 100 dollar night in a motel with a pool outside, I think I'm getting my moneys worth...

Now when it comes to the rest of the taxes we here in California pay, well take a drive up through the Redwoods, or a coastal ride from SF to Montery, or really put yourself out and do a couple days on the Pacific Crest Trail..
California is one of the nicest places in the world, and it takes funds to keep it that way, and I for one dont mind doing my share..
If you are so blind to only gripe about what you are paying, without really knowing where the money goes, you yourself have issues..
Well said Randy, I couldn't agree more.
__________________
Jerry Woodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 05:53   #90
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: St Augustine, FL
Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat
Posts: 2,838
Re: Property Tax on My New Boat !

This is the problem with our country.............

In SD it's only $42 because the federal government and army corp maintain the waterways and marina sites in SD,KY,TN,AL, LA, MO, MN, etc, etc.

Who pays for that? The high earning guys in the rich blue states Cali, NY, MA. If you check it out most the "deep red" states receive far more in federal dollars than the pay in federal income taxes . It's a fact, can't argue it.

The real crime is they all still get 2 senators to obstruct any progress on solving our nations problems.

Will be a LONG time before anything gets any better.
__________________

__________________
Check out my MoJo: Facebook.com/mojomarine1
Boatguy30 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
boat

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
One More Question About Personal Property Tax capcook Dollars & Cents 27 25-04-2012 13:26
North Carolina Live Aboard Personal Property Tax R&B Liveaboard's Forum 11 11-10-2010 07:54
California Boat Tax tardog Dollars & Cents 4 09-06-2008 12:15
Do they have a personnel property tax in N.C videorov General Sailing Forum 3 20-11-2006 04:48



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 18:44.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.