Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2012, 05:12   #1
Marine Service Provider

Propane Class Action

In case you didn't see the little label on your latest tank, or you're in an area where you're refilling now. There's a big class action against all the suppliers of pre-filled tanks for not filling them entirely, and not disclosing that info to customers.

I don't know the exact details, since I haven't read it myself yet. But it looks like we could all get at least a few $$$ back. Here's the site with all the info.
off-the-grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2012, 06:04   #2

Boat: Maxum 2700 SCR (28')
Re: Propane class action

I wonder if the people involved in this class action are aware of the regulation that states "pressure vessels/containers may not be filled to more than 80% of their capacity".
Jim Quibell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2012, 06:32   #3

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

Some time back I noticed the storage cages and bottles are labeled 15 pounds and wondered when that started. Maybe they weren't labeled as such for some time.

Around here they were just about $22 or $23 and now the price is $17 or $18. I thought this was do to the increase in supply in the US from the fracking process that started in 2005. Now I figure it's from the change in filling guidelines.

Just had my 10 pound bottle for the boat filled at the hardware store nearby for $11. I'm pretty sure he put 10 pounds in it.
four winds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2012, 06:41   #4
Marine Service Provider

But is 20lbs the maximum capacity on these? Or is that what their rated for, and they actually hold more?

Like scuba cylinders for example. 80lbs. means 80lbs. of gas, actually just slightly below. It doesn't mean that's it's maximum capacity. The maximum pressure on any breathing gas cylinder is going to be way beyond it's stamped rating. I find it strange that other types of storage cylinders wouldn't be the same.
Old 23-02-2012, 07:01   #5

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

It's my understanding that some air space must be maintained for proper operation of the tank. I suppose that is space for the liquid to return to a gas.

I think the liquid is maintained at a certain pressure that doesn't change much until the tank is almost empty. Different from scuba tanks maybe.

Possibly the max capacity would be greater than 20 pounds but that is the correct operating capacity.

A friend always harps at the person filling the bottle to top it up completely and that has caused some problems for him at home. Sometimes he has to bleed off a small amount (exiting as a liquid spray) to get it to work well.
four winds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2012, 07:20   #6
Marine Service Provider

Exactly! You worded it much better me.

Tanks are stamped with their maximum operating capacity and pressure.
Not with their maximum capacity and pressure, which is much higher.
Even during hydro testing tanks aren't taken to their maximum pressure.
Old 23-02-2012, 08:06   #7

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Class action suites are a joke. The only one making any money are the lawyers.

I have three checks sitting here on my book shelf. One for $.06, another $.57. and $4.21 Why bother cashing them.
Old 23-02-2012, 08:10   #8

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Be prepared for prices to increase on cylinders to recoup.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2012, 08:11   #9

Boat: O'Day 28

Ha. I had one for .22. They laughed at me at the bank. That .22 and another buck or so will buy me a cup of copy these days.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2012, 08:38   #10

Yeah all these settlements you hear about... are BS. It's just a way to keep the public at bay... and the lawyers make the money. I would never buy gas from one of those pre-fill setups.... big rip off ! Some places they are over $30, for about a $12 refill!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2012, 10:42   #11
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

" There's a big class action against all the suppliers of pre-filled tanks for not filling them entirely, and not disclosing that info to customers."

Oh, so when they went to "safety" fill valves (5? 10?) years back, and all of a sudden 20# tanks got a few pounds lighter....Someone else has finally caught on to that?

I know compressed gasses can be dangerous, but the propane guys, the scuba guys, they all want to make it seem like rocket science and it just ain't rocket gas in them tanks.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2012, 11:03   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
" There's a big class action against all the suppliers of pre-filled tanks for not filling them entirely, and not disclosing that info to customers."

Oh, so when they went to "safety" fill valves (5? 10?) years back, and all of a sudden 20# tanks got a few pounds lighter....Someone else has finally caught on to that?

I know compressed gasses can be dangerous, but the propane guys, the scuba guys, they all want to make it seem like rocket science and it just ain't rocket gas in them tanks.

Like the dive shops that require special cleaning and a special sticker on your tank to fill 32% Nitrox because it is dangerous. If it was that dangerous then all the welding shops on the planet using pure O2 would have blown up years ago.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2012, 13:23   #13
Marine Service Provider

I agree with everything that's been said, but there have been a few over the years, where I actually did get enough that it was well worth the few minutes it too to fill out the form.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post

Like the dive shops that require special cleaning and a special sticker on your tank to fill 32% Nitrox because it is dangerous. If it was that dangerous then all the welding shops on the planet using pure O2 would have blown up years ago.
It's very important that your tanks have this large obnoxious, overpriced sticker, that isn't required by the DOT, and tells absolutely nothing about the actual contents of the tank.
Old 23-02-2012, 14:20   #14
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Nitrox was a clever marketing scheme that a certain very profitable dive shop in NY supposedly came up with. It is deceptive from the start, it is not a "Nitrogen-Oxygen" mixture, but rather it is oxygen enriched air, which happnes to be mainly nitrogen.

But they were looking for a way to make a buck in a weak industry and they sure did it.

FWIW dive equipment DOES have to be "oxygen cleaned" before use with Nitrox or other enriched oxygen mixes. The "normal" lubricants and waxes used in scuba gear will spontaneously combust with some of the higher oxygen mixtures, or when the "extra shot of oxygen" is added into a tank of air. AFAIK pretty much all scuba equipment in the past 10? years has been shipping "oxygen clean" and ready for Nitrox though.

This from the same basic folks who pushed a simple visual tank inspection upwards of $40 because ten bucks wasn't enough for their ten minutes.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2012, 14:45   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by four winds View Post
It's my understanding that some air space must be maintained for proper operation of the tank. I suppose that is space for the liquid to return to a gas.

I think the liquid is maintained at a certain pressure that doesn't change much until the tank is almost empty. Different from scuba tanks maybe.

Possibly the max capacity would be greater than 20 pounds but that is the correct operating capacity.

A friend always harps at the person filling the bottle to top it up completely and that has caused some problems for him at home. Sometimes he has to bleed off a small amount (exiting as a liquid spray) to get it to work well.
Your friend likes to live dangerously. The air space at the top of the bottle is essential for the gas to be able to expand when the bottle gets hot. There are numerous explosions every year when bottles are overfilled and then left out in the sun. That's why the bottles now have the new overfill prevention device.
MarkSF is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane