Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-12-2010, 22:23   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Its interesting that we pay for the US passports, yet they remain the property of the US Government...its not actually YOUR passport....its more like you rent the passport.
I don't have much complaint about the cost...I do however have lots of issues about the quality of the service.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2010, 22:45   #17
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
cost me over 1000 dollars in 2008 to get my expedited passport....1600 dollars, exactly.
next time wont be expedited --i did get it dang near overnite, tho, once all the hoops were jumped thru....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2010, 23:02   #18

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot
Well, if it reflects the actual cost of processing, that' OK. If it is because of the government's monopoly over the issuance of passports, that's something else.
markpierce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2010, 23:03   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
cost me over 1000 dollars in 2008 to get my expedited passport....1600 dollars, exactly.
next time wont be expedited --i did get it dang near overnite, tho, once all the hoops were jumped thru....
I don't believe you.
Old 20-12-2010, 23:10   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by James S View Post
Its interesting that we pay for the US passports, yet they remain the property of the US Government...its not actually YOUR passport....its more like you rent the passport.
I don't have much complaint about the cost...I do however have lots of issues about the quality of the service.
Where have you been? If you think you "own" your house, why do you have to pay the government a tribute, as in property taxes? No, the government owns it and you have to pay rent. The U.S. government is also a silent partner in all businesses, taking much/most of the profits but won't share fairly in the losses.
Old 20-12-2010, 23:31   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
I don't believe you.
100 percent true, 1600 for expedited with a courier from the company i used 0r the expediting of th passport.e.and having to reget my NY birth certificate--all last minuet of course, as my plans werent made until last minuet. got dang near overnite delivery via courier and it was processed out of texas, instead of wash.
truth. was 1600 dollars to expedite it for passport plus expediting fees. and birth cert fees AGAIN. wont do that again. ever.
i sold a 300zxturbo collector item for that....got 2600 dollars and spent 1600 on passport. yes was exactly 1600 dollars. LOL
i reallly miss that car--was fun!!!!
Old 20-12-2010, 23:43   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
100 percent true, ...
Well, that's unfortunate. Normal "post office" rates for an expedited U.S. passport is something in the neighborhood of $100 (I'm old and don't remember such things precisely).

I got an expedited passport in 2002, and informed the woman (who does foreign travel frequently) I'd been dating for a couple of months that'd I'd obtained a passport. She said "Mark, where are you going?" (That was a "downer.") Long story short, we've made many foreign travels together. Last one was in November to visit Milan, a bit of Switzerland, and Venice, finishing up with a two-week cruise from Venice to New York.

In San Francisco, on the way to Alaska, with the ship returning to the Bay Area:

Old 21-12-2010, 00:07   #23

that is sooo cool-- i will never do the passport the way i did it that time--was hurry hurry and advantage taking was extreme. cool pix--you guys look really happy--is a good thing....

if y'all are ever in a hurry for passport--watchout for the courier associated places---yipes!!!!
Old 21-12-2010, 04:15   #24

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
This is a sign of the times and we probably need to get use to it. You should see some of the new IRS fees for services. Fees are a much easier way to raise revenues as opposed to raising taxes. The political fallout is much less with fees.
Old 21-12-2010, 05:16   #25

Boat: Able 50
Quote:
Where have you been? If you think you "own" your house, why do you have to pay the government a tribute, as in property taxes? No, the government owns it and you have to pay rent. The U.S. government is also a silent partner in all businesses, taking much/most of the profits but won't share fairly in the losses.

Passports are a bit like the greenback. If the taxpayers of the United States think they own the greenback then they better think again. They only rent it.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2010, 05:30   #26

Boat: 1978 44 foot Camper & Nicholsons Ketch
Thanks TaoJones. Renewed mine this year because of this...
High Heels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2010, 07:30   #27

Boat: Beneteau 50
I see from the chart (link posted above) that passports for kids cost $105 and they only last 5 years. That's much more costly than the adult ones that last 10 years.

Regards,
Brad

2000 Beneteau 505 "Summer Boost"
bene505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2010, 07:58   #28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Quote:
I haven't lived in the US for over 20 years..
I own my house.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote