Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2009, 15:09   #1

Please Check Boat in San Diego

So I just had a really bad boat broker experience. It cost me 1138miles of driving about $1000 and 2 points of sanity. I will follow some forum advice and ask for some forum help.

I would like to know if there is anyone in San Diego who knows anything about Formosa's or C.T's there is one down there I would be interested in taking a closer look at.

If someone has time inclination and some experience. I don't want a survey I would just like someone to do a walk by and let me know if its worth doing another 1200 mile round trip for?

Anyone want to help an Aussie out?
FirePitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2009, 03:03   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
You might ask an Admin/Mod to re-title your post.
Something like "San Diego help" might draw the appropriate attention.
Good luck, in your boat quest.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2009, 17:59   #3

Boat: Formosa 51 Ketch
Send a message via Skype™ to rcmpegasus
I live in San Diego and own a Formosa 51. What can I do to help you out ?
Old 13-05-2009, 18:34   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
So I just had a really bad boat broker experience. It cost me 1138miles of driving about $1000 and 2 points of sanity. I will follow some forum advice and ask for some forum help.
You should not drive that far based on an ad and a broker - ever. Shopping long distance is not cheap sport. While it would be nice to have someone take a quick peek at the boat you are really looking for a a boat worth spending the money to survey. I wouldn't survey a boat I didn't look at myself and that means at least a few trips. One to see it, one to survey and one to close. That does not include the stuff you need to get done so you can leave. I don't think you can do it less trips than that. Having someone else look at a boat is not much better. You need to at least be able to pick candidates better than that.

Why not discuss what you are looking for and why a boat 100 miles away has got you all worked up. I can promise 100 people won't rush out to buy it before you can. It would help to better understand your situation and goals. Maybe that would help you most. You don't require all the boats for sale you only require a really good one. It leaves a lot left for others to pick from.

Maybe the distance is too great. The perfect boat is perhaps a lot closer. How many times do you chase down the rat hole before you just give up. Spending money wisely requires you to maximize the stuff closer to home. A few trips like that just costs you a brand new dodger. Don't be in a hurry. It's just a bad way to sail and now would be a great time to start.

We can all talk about things for free. Thinking more and driving less just can't be a bad idea.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2009, 18:36   #5

There is a boat there I made an offer, the offer refused, Thanks anyway. Pitt
FirePitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2009, 18:46   #6
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirePitt View Post
There is a boat there I made an offer, the offer refused, Thanks anyway. Pitt
Wow, Pitt. I think Paul just offered you quite a bit of wisdom in his post and doesn't deserve the dismissive brush-off. I'm sure you're feeling a lot of frustration in your search for an appropriate vessel, but you've come here of your own free will to get some help and there are plenty of knowledgeable people here who would probably like to provide that help, too. But, really - Wow, Pitt.

TaoJones
Old 13-05-2009, 19:36   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
There is a boat there I made an offer, the offer refused, Thanks anyway.
Making an offer on a boat you never saw seems like a low percentage pay off.

Having sold a boat a few years ago I know I could have spent less than 5 seconds considering an offer that no one came to actually see the boat about no matter what the offer was. I actually had an offer higher than the current owner during the time of the sale. I suppose I could have backed my way out of the deal but the boat sold to that buyer. You don't go trashing a would be good deal because someone sent in a long distance offer.

Asking someone here to go look at the boat for you after you made the offer seems waste of anyones time. I would not suggest you try it again.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2009, 19:37   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Pitt,

Have to agree that Paul offered some good advise. If you have decided for whatever reasons on a certain type or model you are going to have to deal with the situation. If you are lucky you might find a surveyor or helpful boater to do a prelook but in the end you are going to have to bite the bullet and go look.

I can speak from personal, recent experience. I was looking for a pretty specific type boat and ended up flying from FL to NY to look at a boat. After a year I closed and will be making my fourth trip this weekend to pick it up. It is just going to be part of the process.

You might want to hire a surveyor to do an initial drive by. Call Boat US or check with one of the licensing groups if you can't find one otherwise. A friend in CT had a surveyor check out a boat in Miami like this and cost him a couple of hundred.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
san diego