Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-10-2014, 12:33   #1

Boat: Nimble Artic 26
Planning to Move to Oahu

I have a West Wight potter 19.

I have thought that when I go, it would be a better idea to sell her, (I'll miss her) and buy another or maybe join a club in Oahu.

Or I could rent a container, stuff it with the boat (A tight fit) along with house hold goods I can't get the wife to let go of.

Today I see there's an O' Day I'd like, but it needs a trailer. Then there's the problem of where to put the boat, when not sailing and living in a high rise Condo.

Any thoughts about either option?

Flame away
Old 13-10-2014, 23:17   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Planning to Move to Oahu

Oahu isn't long on marinas. Condos usually only have one parking space. You might be best off to sell it, then scope out the situation carefully when you get there.

There is a yacht club on the Honolulu side at Ala Wai, and Jim says there might actually be two marinas there, and on the windward side, Kaneohe YC, but you'll really want to find out about slip availability.

Ann
Old 14-10-2014, 04:02   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Oahu isn't long on marinas. Condos usually only have one parking space. You might be best off to sell it, then scope out the situation carefully when you get there.

There is a yacht club on the Honolulu side at Ala Wai, and Jim says there might actually be two marinas there, and on the windward side, Kaneohe YC, but you'll really want to find out about slip availability.

Ann
No I wouldn't park it at the condo. There is a nice facility at 94 Pakela St. an old weapon storage facility, lots of parking and not far from Pearl Harbor.

Centrally located, but all the ramps are miles away, which with traffic would make a trip interesting.

If only I'd served all twenty in the Navy, I could access the ramps on Pearl Harbor . There is also a very nice parking facility for boats on the Pearl Harbor Naval Station. I saw a Potter parked there while I was visiting for work.
Old 14-10-2014, 04:07   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post

Ann
No I wouldn't park it at the condo. There is a nice facility at 94 Pakela St. an old weapon storage facility, lots of parking and not far from Pearl Harbor.

Centrally located, but all the ramps are miles away, which with traffic would make a trip interesting.

If only I'd served all twenty in the Navy, I could access the ramps on Pearl Harbor . There is also a very nice parking facility for boats on the Pearl Harbor Naval Station. I saw a Potter parked there while I was visiting for work.

BTW public and military boating facilities are listed http://www.hawaiiocean.com/Directori...%20Facilities/
Old 02-01-2015, 11:02   #5

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha Tom,

I just noticed this thread that I hadn't caught before. If your Potter is on a trailer you'll have an easy time finding storage for it. Of course, everything involving square feet is at a premium on that island.

Your Potter on a trailer would be good for cruising the leeward sides of the islands and could easily be shipped via barge to different islands. It would not be suited well for channel crossings unless you were very lucky enough to find a calm weather window.

Boats are easy to come by here at bargain prices but finding a place to keep them is the real costly problem. Trailers are hard to find unless you buy new. Things that are made of metal rust away quickly.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

kind regards,
Old 01-02-2015, 05:38   #6

From Voyaging Under Sail, Cruising Lealea Home

SkiprJohn pretty much nails it. A potter would be fun in Kaneohe Bay on the windward side or Mamala Bay off Waikiki but sailing that type of boat inter-island falls under the category of "Stunt Sailing". We have sailed SF Bay. There is no comparison. While 60 knot winds are rare (20-25 being the norm) 15 - 20 foot seas are common in the channels between the islands. The wind, with rare exceptions, always blows from the East so sailing say from Oahu to Maui is a difficult slog even in a large vessel, as is getting back to Oahu from Kauai.

Fair winds,

Chuck and Laura

Tags
oahu