Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-09-2009, 06:02   #1

Boat: Will be a 50' Cat
Ownership Cost, Taxes in CA

Am I correct in assuming California has the Personal Property Tax or some equivalent which is applied to Boats? Does anyone know the rate / annual taxes assessed on 40-50' boats? Are there other fees besides whatever you have to pay for a slip/mooring ? San Diego does look appealing... and I really like what I have read about the Chula Vista Marina...

Cheers
capcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2009, 09:03   #2

Boat: Sold the previous one but there's always another boat!
Yes, in California you are liable for Personal Property Tax on vessels, the rate dependant upon the County where the boat is kept. That rate has usually been a little over 1% of the County's assessed valuation of your boat (which means they may, and probably will, assess the boat for far more than what you paid for it). Many Counties in California will also charge you a Possesory Interest (Real Property) Tax on the space and physical improvments your boat "enjoys" in a marina. That rate is a little over 1% of the net valuation of land and improvements.

Since you indicate that your next boat will be a 50' cat: Chula Vista Marina at the far end of San Diego Bay that you mentioned is one of the very, very few marinas in Southern California that once in a while advertises an available side or end tie for a multihull. Some can also be found in L.A. Harbor. Be aware that Southern California has never been multihull friendly as far as slip availability is concerned. Waiting lists for multis have historically been years, rather than months long.
GOsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2009, 09:50   #3

Boat: Sceptre 41
There is also a use tax equivalent ot the sales tax rate of the county -- most counties are closing in on 10%. If you have owned the boat for a year and not used it in CA you are not subject to this use tax. It is a good idea to document that youhave not been in CA for the first year of ownership. Otherwise the overzealous Stae of Kalifornia will try to collect money that they are not due.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2009, 10:13   #4

Boat: Will be a 50' Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kia Ora View Post
Many Counties in California will also charge you a Possesory Interest (Real Property) Tax on the space and physical improvments your boat "enjoys" in a marina. That rate is a little over 1% of the net valuation of land and improvements..

Thanks Kia...

I guess I am not surprised...Florida does the same thing... Argh.. that will be $5k+/yr on a $500k boat... I wonder what that other tax you mentioned would be... seem's strange they would assess a tax on a rented slip... let alone on goodies attached to the boat that presumably add to it's assessment under the Personal Property Tax... but nothing would surprise me in CA... Thanks for the input..

Thanks Charlie... Wow $50k in use tax too.... also going to have to watch out for that... I guess it will have to stay out of CA for at least a year... ARGH.. more planning... I wonder if that won't be the case in every state..hum..

Cheers
capcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2009, 09:14   #5

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1
Hence the "Ensenada Yacht Club" of Californians who just bought a boat. A decent marina an hour's drive from the border. It used to be 3 months, people would buy their boat offshore and take it straight to Ensenada for 3 months to avoid that tax.
sww914 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ownership, taxes