Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2013, 05:35   #1

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Overseas Health Insurance - Not Obamacare

I'm curious as to what others out cruising are using. I've got coverage with IMG which requires that I spend less than 6 months each year in the US in exchange for worldwide coverage. The problem is it may not quality as "essential coverage" under Obamacare and the cost of it has gone up a lot in the last year, so I'm looking around.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:05   #2

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
I have Central American (G & T Guatemala) based insurance (way cheaper...pre ACA anyway) and an HSA. A number of others here do similar.

Lots of discussion of this subject here. Search the forums.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:42   #3

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: Overseas Health Insurance - Not Obamacare

What type of insurance are you looking for? Catastrophic to protect your assets? Does your income level qualify you for a subsidized Exchange program? If so, getting an Exchange program for low cost will cover your catastrophic costs. Most likely significantly less expensive than the IMG policy. The rest of your health care would be out of pocket in low-cost countries.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:58   #4
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i have absolutely useless medicare, and i have small amounts of cash monthly and i know where the public clinics are...i also trust my own medical knowledge more than i trusted usa mds who didnt sell practices and run years ago --catastrophic coverage--nope. speel it fishie food.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:20   #5

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
i have absolutely useless medicare, and i have small amounts of cash monthly and i know where the public clinics are...i also trust my own medical knowledge more than i trusted usa mds who didnt sell practices and run years ago --catastrophic coverage--nope. speel it fishie food.....
If you have medicare, then you already have catastrophic coverage. If you had an expensive, long term health issue, you could get coverage for it as long as you went back to the US. If you prefer to pay for it out of pocket in Mexico, then good as long as you have the cash to make it happen.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:05   #6
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
If you have medicare, then you already have catastrophic coverage. If you had an expensive, long term health issue, you could get coverage for it as long as you went back to the US. If you prefer to pay for it out of pocket in Mexico, then good as long as you have the cash to make it happen.
so far medicare has done nothing for me nor for most of the souls i triaged in lost angeles as an rn in emergency room and recovered in pacu and kept alive in icu and cardiology areas.
i am not anything but a realist.
when i went to md with medicare as an office visit, i was given an inflated bill to pay out of pocket, and referred to tests that are not covered, and yes i do have a wonderful underlying condition that creates ischemia at will. thankyou.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 14:35   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
What type of insurance are you looking for? Catastrophic to protect your assets? Does your income level qualify you for a subsidized Exchange program? If so, getting an Exchange program for low cost will cover your catastrophic costs. Most likely significantly less expensive than the IMG policy. The rest of your health care would be out of pocket in low-cost countries.
I'm looking for health insurance that covers me worldwide not just in the US so anything through the exchanges won't work. Something with a $5,000 - $10,000 deductible, basically catastrophic. The IMG policy fit the bill until the premium doubled.
Old 04-10-2013, 14:46   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Any idea why the premium doubled?
hpeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 14:52   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Any idea why the premium doubled?
They said partly age (now 62) and partly that all premiums were going up. I did submit a few claims but nothing unusual and I'm in excellent health.

Actually, here is their quotes response to my question about the premium incase ...
Quote:
The increase is due to the risk pool of similar insureds by age and claims experience and cost of care at global exchange rates
Old 04-10-2013, 15:21   #10

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
when i went to md with medicare as an office visit, i was given an inflated bill to pay out of pocket, and referred to tests that are not covered, and yes i do have a wonderful underlying condition that creates ischemia at will. thankyou.
Doctors who treat Medicare recipients fall into two categories: participating and non-participating. Participating doctors enter into an agreement with Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) to follow guidelines set by Medicare. Many times a participating doctor will charge directly to Medicare and you never receive the bill. The Medicare guidelines do not allow a participating doctor to charge the patient more than the Medicare-approved charge, although you may still have to pay your co-payment amount.

A non-participating doctor, on the other hand, is not subject to the same rules. However, Congress placed a cap on how much these doctors can charge. The cap is called a limiting charge (LC). Non-participating doctors can only charge 15% over the Medicare-approved amount for their services. If they charge more, they may be subject to sanctions by CMS.
Old 04-10-2013, 15:53   #11

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'

Medicare that most Americans receive at age 65 is hospital coverage only, paying 80%. For another $100 or so you can get part B which is doctors, paying 80%. Supplimental are available for additional coverage. Then part D for about $50 covers a portion of prescription drugs. If not mistaken, they will cover you for emergency care out of the country until stabilized. There used to be the DAN policy that was available through dive shops that some would carry for international coverage, but again, I think it was catastrophic coverage and included evacuation back to the states. We have been pleased with Medicare. Took a long time to get it, 65 years, but what a long, strange trip it's been.
keepondancin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 16:01   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepondancin View Post
Medicare that most Americans receive at age 65 is hospital coverage only, paying 80%. For another $100 or so you can get part B which is doctors, paying 80%. Supplimental are available for additional coverage. Then part D for about $50 covers a portion of prescription drugs. If not mistaken, they will cover you for emergency care out of the country until stabilized. There used to be the DAN policy that was available through dive shops that some would carry for international coverage, but again, I think it was catastrophic coverage and included evacuation back to the states. We have been pleased with Medicare. Took a long time to get it, 65 years, but what a long, strange trip it's been.
Again, not talking about Medicare or other US plans. I'm looking at plans that cover you while living overseas either on land or cruising. My IMG plans pays for services rendered overseas but it's getting expensive.
Old 04-10-2013, 16:18   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Was this something like those policies offered thru that group in the USVI. Can't remember the name, but was something similar, had to spend 6 months outside the US a year. The only policies like that I had come across.

an interesting side note, I received a letter from Humana today telling me the new healtcare exchanges. It specifically said you are NOT eligible for subsidies outside the exchange which contradicts the so called insurance expert on the other thread.
Old 04-10-2013, 16:23   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
Was this something like those policies offered thru that group in the USVI. Can't remember the name, but was something similar, had to spend 6 months outside the US a year. The only policies like that I had come across.
Could be, I'm not familiar with any policies out of the USVI, but most overseas policies have the 6 month rule from what I have heard. I'm good with that since I spend most of my time outside the US.
Old 04-10-2013, 16:33   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
I'm curious as to what others out cruising are using. I've got coverage with IMG which requires that I spend less than 6 months each year in the US in exchange for worldwide coverage. The problem is it may not quality as "essential coverage" under Obamacare and the cost of it has gone up a lot in the last year, so I'm looking around.
For 2014-2015, an expat policy that requires six months out of the United States and is a group plan is considered meeting the "minimum essential care" criteria during the transition year (2014).

Rebel Heart - Eric's Blog - the affordable care act (obamacare) and cruising*sailors

But yeah, the costs have gone up a lot.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
health, health insurance, insurance