Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 27-06-2014, 21:25   #16
smj

Boat: Searunner 38 catamaran
Re: Only Six Months -- Feeling Cramped

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbowers2004 View Post
I suppose that is the deli ma isn't it? To end up upgrading, but ending with a boat that is the same size as ours now. That is why we choose the westerly centaur, because it is described as a boat that happens to have the greatest amount of room for the smallest LOA. Tis the reason I would prefer to stick with a westerly as well, as that seems a common theme for their designs.

TO go bigger, it really seems I need to hit almost as all almost have mentioned the 40' realm, because of the lack of design feature differences, anything bigger just seems wasted space, and in alot of areas a waste of money.

I'm not talking marina fees, because I don't plan to stay in any. I'm just talking for structural integrity, it is a waste of space and money to go bigger, unless I'm looking at more state room's, etc.

Its nice to see we aren't the only ones who started small, and to say I would start big and work down would be completely ridiculous. I don't see another way. And to say I would of found this experience by renting or chartering is ludicrous IMO, because I didn't get to this point until 6 months later, and the only reason I feel this way, is because of my companion. As the guy before me said, add 10' for a couple. Completely true.

We may be planning coming around the other side of florida, there was an add on craigslist for someone giving up on a 1979 CT 42 Ketch , and wants to trade for a pocket cruiser. Here's to hoping he responds.

BTW we have a dog as well, although doesn't take up much room, I'm sure she would appreciate the extra.

The reason for a 36' boat on 50' hulls is we would gave the interior space we find necessary but the motion and performance of a larger boat without as big of an expense as owning a standard 50' cat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old 27-06-2014, 22:16   #17

Boat: hunter 31

Starting at a cramped 26' was the right thing to do, since now the 40' will feel like a ballroom. Its a bit like the guy who has his doctor tell him he has just six months to live. The guy says "Doc, is there ANYTHING I can do for more time?" The doc tells him there is just one thing he can do. "Find a single mother with at least two kids, move aboard a 26' boat, and live in a mosquito infested, swampy marina."
"OK, says the guy, but will that really make me live longer?"
"Well, no," says the Doc, "but it'll sure seem like it"

Old 28-06-2014, 09:07   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Maxi 77 - Relax Lah!

Quote:
So here we are, six months later. Well technically almost a year from initial purchase, but six months full time live aboard/cruisers.

We bought a Westerly Centaur 26' Bilge Keel in UK, and sailed it to the current location, Bahamas.

<snip>

I am not really posting this post for advice, or on which way to turn, because I know the answers to all the questions or the unknown, but I feel getting a larger boat is the only way to enhance this experience further. We had my parents on board for a week during we crossed from USVI to Puerto Rico, and with only one "cabin" the experience left much to be had IMO. As well as standing head room for my 6' frame would be nice.

<snip>

Oh, the Horror.

First World Problems.

-End Rant.
Wait, what?

You sailed a 26 footer across the Atlantic, recently?

I know it's been done and can been done and it's been talked about extensively but that's freakin awesome!

Please start a thread about that, or point me to you blog if you have one.

And as far as having 2 visitors on board for a passage? Don't take this the wrong way but you Brits can be so stoic!

I get 4 people on my boat for a day sail and I wanna throw them off by lunch time - LOL...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2014, 09:38   #19

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!

Islander 36 or a Cal 34. Those are two you might want to have a look at, if you're interested in a mid 30-foot boat.
Old 28-06-2014, 09:40   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

A well designed 30-32 footer has everything a couple needs ...except speed! At 36-38 ft you get two real cabins and one head. At 38-40 feet you get two heads with sinks. (Do you need 3 sinks in a 40 ft boat?)

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2014, 09:41   #21

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

You are in right in charter boat central. There are tons of heavily used but still serviceable Bene's available from sunsail at under 60K.

Are they maybe a little work in? Yes... Are they "project boats"? Many are not... there are literally 100's to choose from.
Old 28-06-2014, 09:42   #22

Boat: Able 50

Daily showers for two is a big ask on any boat
Old 28-06-2014, 10:25   #23

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

Find someone with a westsail 32 that is well sorted ad is looking to downsize, for that matter anyone with a 32-35 that is looking to downsize may be interested in a swap for a well sorted 26..............
Old 28-06-2014, 10:58   #24

We risk making this a "What boat should he buy?" thread. That's not the issue.

Nor is the length in and of itself.

In many cases, I've been on bigger boats than mine that had visually and architecturally less space than I have.

Sometimes they put the galley on the wrong side compared to the settee and head and visually the same exact space looks and feels like a lot less. For example, if the head and the narrower settee are on the same side, the galley opens up to the deeper settee and table. If the head and galley are switched, it becomes visually cramped. Same boat, same beam, less visual space.

The OP needs to find a boat he and his SO both like and will work for them.

We went from 25' to 34' without any issues. He knows how to sail.

Good luck.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, (Maple Bay Marina) SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2014, 11:00   #25

Boat: Westerly Centaur 26'
Send a message via AIM to bbowers2004 Send a message via MSN to bbowers2004 Send a message via Yahoo to bbowers2004 Send a message via Skype™ to bbowers2004

Yeah, starting out small was the plan. We are going to feel like kings just to not have to lug water jugs every other day.

I'm really looking at getting faster though. We took 33 days to cross the atlantic from February into March this year. Neither of us had sailed anything other then a 470 dinghy before. We took no lessons, so it was a large learning curve. It was a bit of hell.

We are going larger, IMO, more for speed then anything else. It is just unrealistic to move that slow across large bodies of water. i'm all for enjoying the nature, and taking time off the big scene, but currently I am doing online university, and find it a bit much to have to take off an entire semester to cross an ocean, when I see people doing it in half the time.

Would a shower be nice, sure, an extra cabin for crew, sure, but what will be the best improvement would be some speed. I saw a guy that went faster in a smaller boat to hawaii, but in reality he didn't have the amenities we have, or so I saw.

So keeping this away from oh yeah we could do it in an open boat, by myself, I don't see anything less then 41 that offers the numbers I am looking for, as well as the amenities. Anything in the mid 30's with a single keel might give me a bit more speed, and more sail area, but the amenities wouldn't be large enough in scale to risk the money.

We're probably going to end up with a pirate ship.

45' ketch for Sail.
bbowers2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2014, 11:17   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat View Post
26' works for a single guy. Add 4' for a single woman, and 10' minimum for a couple. That is all.

goat
sexist trogoldyte
Add "Spelling Champ" to your list of qualifications.

Old 28-06-2014, 15:28   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43

Quote:

We're probably going to end up with a pirate ship.

45' ketch for Sail.
$37 ??? It would be a steal at 10 time the price
Old 28-06-2014, 16:09   #28

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

I congratulate you on your passage but you must have balls of steel and a heck of a awesome wife to cross the Atlantic with so little experience and with so much having gone wrong with the boat on the way.

However, maybe the reason the trip was so slow is because of your sailing experience... Trim and all. Also, maybe the sails are old and your not getting as much power from them as you should.

Besides, unless you are beating feet to the pacific, there is no reason not to spend a few years kicking around the Caribbean, where you won't need obscene speeds to get around.
Old 28-06-2014, 16:28   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Maxi 77 - Relax Lah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
$37 ??? It would be a steal at 10 time the price
OBO - Offer $28...

I've heard it's a buyer's market right now.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2014, 17:46   #30

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8
Bbower. I lived on a 27 foot boat for close to 20 years before upgrading to my 39 footer. When I was at Anchorage which I would have to do for a few years to save up the money to cruise I was quite happy even with company. Although I'm a bit of a packrat and that was a problem. But when cruising you hit the nail on the head. the world is one-third smaller if you can cruise at 6 knots instead of 4 knots. And half the size if your going to windward. Independence is determined by what you can carry. Water, food, tools,a mate heheh. etc. But you pay dearly for this. The upfront cost is just the beginning. Everything costs more. Part of that is because you have more systems like refrigeration, hot water, pressure water, etc. But everything you buy is bigger everything you do is on a larger scale painting the bottom is twice as much paint ,labor and almost twice the fees. So here's my advice: if you have to go back to work to save the money for the bigger boat enjoy the small boat instead. The more time you take to buy the bigger boat the more you will know what you want. Second option don't go for your dream boat next go for an inbetweener. And last but definitely not least and maybe too personal but: listen to your mates wants. loners give the best relationship advice

Tags
ramp

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: