Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2009, 10:23   #1
Marine Service Provider

Online source for cheap chain

Anyone know a good online source for this?

I'm looking for 1/4" stainless, not for anchoring, just for locking the dinghy.
So far cheapest I've found so far is this place Boat Parts At Surplus Unlimited. Boating accessories, marine supplies, trailer parts, gauges. We specialize in Teleflex & SeaStar steering.

$4.50/foot
off-the-grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 19:03   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
So how many feet does that take?

Bolt cutters work on SS chain as well as any other just so you know. 5/16 galvanized is harder to cut and costs a lot less. At 1/2 inch it takes a pretty big cutter. Designer dinghy?
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 02:34   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Sailorman used to have excellent prices on SS chain; but I don’t see it listed in their on-line catalogue.
Sailorman New & Used Marine: Anchoring and Docking

Sailorman (New & Used Marine)
350 E. State Rd 84, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33316 USA
Tel: 954-522-6716
Toll Free: 1-866-729-3760

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 13:33   #4
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais View Post
So how many feet does that take?

Bolt cutters work on SS chain as well as any other just so you know. 5/16 galvanized is harder to cut and costs a lot less. At 1/2 inch it takes a pretty big cutter. Designer dinghy?
I'm guessing about 20'. Even at the prices I've found that's still going to be almost $100.

True, but not as easily as the guy next to me who's using a cable, or the guy next to him who isn't locked at all. It's all about deterrence not prevention anyway, right?

Good call on galvanized. You forgot to add that it will probably last just as long as stainless too.

What's designer? It's expensive enough that I'd be pissed if it was stolen. Maybe I'm erring on the paranoid side, especially since it will be a while until I'm cruising, but NJ isn't exactly crime free. And in the 3 short months I've had the boat, I was already robbed while in storage in FL. Nothing big, but a total loss that's not much less than a few locking latches would have cost.
Old 02-04-2009, 14:35   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
True, but not as easily as the guy next to me who's using a cable, or the guy next to him who isn't locked at all. It's all about deterrence not prevention anyway, right?
1/4 inch is still pretty thin. Cables can take some extra time if the cutters are not in great condition. The cable frays and won't always cut clean. For less money a galvanized chain could be thicker and require a bigger cutter. The lock needs to be as thick as the chain too. If it takes a cutter and they have one they take the more valuable dinghy.

I suppose at some point they just cut the attachment tie down from the dinghy and leave the chain and lock for you. They are not very hard to cut with a sharp knife. The cable might still be enough. Something with a lock keeps the kids from running off with it. A pro will know what they are after and recognize the better dinghy worth stealing and come prepared. You are pretty much screwed at that point.

The hideous ugly dinghy still seems the better gambit. Always tire it next to the brand new one with the fancy engine. This way you target the the comparative theif.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 08:49   #6
Marine Service Provider

Well then I guess the question is which galvanized chain should I get?

I'm assuming the HT would be overkill since I'm not using it for anchoring?
Also they don't what the BBB chain is, but it's a little cheaper the the HT for 5/16. $3.40.

Or do I just go with the el cheapo Proof Coil galvanized, only $2.75?

I'm planning on locking the chain directly to the motor. Kill two birds with one stone, and they're not going to cut that with a knife. Yeah, I know, no amount of security will stop the thief who wants it bad enough.
Old 05-04-2009, 11:27   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
HT chain is a stronger alloy. Stronger also means harder to cut. If you are worried about someone hacksawing the chain, the HT will take them longer. Bolt cutters probably wouldn't make a big difference unless they have a small or cheap tool. The el cheapo Chinese cutters will end up with dented cutting surface if asked to cut any hard material. HT chain just might be strong enough to screw up the thiefs tool.

The serious dinghy thief probably isn't looking for the dinghy but the motor. Easy to sell a 10hp plus motor to the local fishing crowd. Smaller motors don't have the marketability. If you want to be the one that the thieves by pass, stay away from a big motor and make your dinghy as ugly as possible.

Aloha
Peter O.
Pearson 35

Aloha
Peter O.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 05:50   #8
Marine Service Provider

So then with reg numbers painted directly on the boat, a little 5HP, and a chain I should be golden?

Thanks.