Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-01-2020, 10:41   #1

Offer on New Boat

Hello all,
I am hoping you can help me once again. So my wife and myself are starting to narrow the choices of used boats down and are starting to consider making an offer on one in the next month or so. I am hoping someone can tell me what the normal ediquit for making an offer in the off season is. I live in Ontario and and of course there is snow so I have only been able to view the boat on the hard. Being able to go on board and view the living space is nice but I would always feel better if I could see the boat in the water and make sure it floats and no other major issues are hidden. In Canada is it normal to put conditions on purchases of used boats in the 30K range that could not be met until spring and the boat is able to be splashed for a try out. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated, first timer and I don't want to insult anyone or look too foolish.
Thanks
Frabk
horan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2020, 10:51   #2

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42
Offer on New Boat

It is common to make an offer subject to survey and sea trial. Ask other boat owners in your area (not the broader) for a reputable marine surveyor. Read as much as you can about the boat type and do a google search for an owners group of the specific boat make and model you are considering. They will know what common issues to look for. If you tell us the specific boat some member of this forum may have additional info for you.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2020, 11:48   #3

Re: Offer on New Boat

Sounds like the issue is that the lakes are iced up - so no way for a sea trial untli the spring ....
AndrewA2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2020, 11:54   #4

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by horan View Post
Hello all,
In Canada is it normal to put conditions on purchases of used boats in the 30K range that could not be met until spring and the boat is able to be splashed for a try out.
Frabk
Not limited to Canada.Lots of boats are contracted n the "off" season subject to survey, sea trial etc... with a buy date specific in the Spring when the boat can be launched and held until that date. Its a common practice
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2020, 12:00   #5

Boat: Rafiki 37

Hi Horan, as a fellow Ontarian I can say it's certainly not uncommon to have a winter sale contingent on a satisfactory survey and sea trial, just as Tayana says. Of course, the seller must agree to this, and you might gain some negotiating clout if you are willing to waive this necessity. But it is certainly common practice.

In fact, I bought my current boat in exactly the same situation. I made the offer in March while the boat was high and dry, and all the water was still hard. The seller launched the boat in May and we did the sea trial and final survey then.
Old 28-01-2020, 10:03   #6

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
Originally Posted by horan View Post
Hello all,
I am hoping you can help me once again. So my wife and myself are starting to narrow the choices of used boats down and are starting to consider making an offer on one in the next month or so. I am hoping someone can tell me what the normal ediquit for making an offer in the off season is. I live in Ontario and and of course there is snow so I have only been able to view the boat on the hard. Being able to go on board and view the living space is nice but I would always feel better if I could see the boat in the water and make sure it floats and no other major issues are hidden. In Canada is it normal to put conditions on purchases of used boats in the 30K range that could not be met until spring and the boat is able to be splashed for a try out. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated, first timer and I don't want to insult anyone or look too foolish.
Thanks
Frabk
90% of all major issues with any boat should be identified with the boat on the hard by a competent surveyor. This includes hull condition, decks, bulkheads and standing rigging (including mast stepping) along with sail condition, electronics and winches (including the windless).

What will pop up in the sea trials will be issues with the motor and transmission while under load as well as faulty sea cocks and rudder issues (including bend shafts and the dripless gland). These things can be difficult to assess until you splash the boat. You should already have a good idea of how the boat will perform under sail.

If you see one you like, make an offer contingent on survey and eventual sea trial. This is standard practice and will hopefully lock up a good price on one during the off season. If the hard survey comes back negative keep looking. It's not uncommon for buyers to pay for multiple surveys prior to actual purchase. Here is a link I saved from one of the members here that will explain how you should do your own presurvey, Marine Survey 101, pre-survey inspection
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2020, 10:50   #7

Just wanted to thank everyone for sharing there wisdom and experience. It is great to know that a newbie like me can reach out to a great community and get the help and advice be needs.
Thanks
horan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2020, 13:00   #8
OBT

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 37

Greetings,

We purchased a used high quality boat 2 springs ago. My wife astutely demanded that the sale would not be finalized until after the sea-trial. Upon launch the engine had a catastrophic failure and the repair was on the seller not out of an escrow. The escrow would not have come close to covering the cost. Make sure that you don't purchase it with an escrow to cover any issues upon launch.

Good luck.
OBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2020, 13:21   #9

Boat: Jeanneau SO 34.2

We bought our boat last month while it is stored indoors. The offer was contingent on a satisfactory out of the water survey, which it passed. A portion of the purchase price is held in escrow to be used for any major issues that show up in the spring sea trial. The boat is in above average condition with a recently rebuilt engine so we felt confident in proceeding this way. As already mentioned, an experienced and well-respected surveyor is key; ask around... Happy boat hunting!
steffan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2020, 13:44   #10

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBT View Post
Greetings,

We purchased a used high quality boat 2 springs ago. My wife astutely demanded that the sale would not be finalized until after the sea-trial. Upon launch the engine had a catastrophic failure and the repair was on the seller not out of an escrow. The escrow would not have come close to covering the cost. Make sure that you don't purchase it with an escrow to cover any issues upon launch.

Good luck.

Damned good point. Seen too many boats bought with a low escrow that doesn’t come close to covering repairs.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, new boat, offer