Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-11-2012, 06:50   #16
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: % Off Asking Price

Unfortunately no real substitute for doing own research and legwork (especially on what things cost to fix or upgrade to what you want - and therefore the difference in value between boats for "you").

Aim to get what you pay for, and hope to do better!....but don't be shy about offending anyone nor about taking "advantage" of someone else's circumstances (whether that be from bad luck or stupidity) - 50 cents on the dollar may be the best deal they can get and for them is better the better deal than zero.........
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2012, 07:05   #17

Boat: Finnsailer 38
Re: % Off Asking Price

One quick example of what you can hit on the market. I once looked at a Cal 40 which was priced a bit higher than many others on the market, but the broker listing sounded really good. When I went to look at the boat it was soaking wet inside from all the deck leaks--there was a sponge and bucket down below that had obviously just been used to try to dry things out before I arrived. Despite all that, the interior was exceptionally clean. However, upon examining the hull I noticed a fist-sized hole in the keel--I literally could put my hand in it. There was no way that boat would even float for long with that hole. Since it appeared the boat had not sunk, I assume the hole was the result of something that happened while hauling it. In any case, I was still tempted by the boat as it was exceptionally clean, though it obviously needed a lot of work. On something like that my initial offer might very well be 50% of the asking price.

Tags
price