Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-10-2012, 21:25   #1

Boat: Fountaine Pajot New 45 under contract...
Ocean Delivery Cost

I'm purchasing a new FP Hélia 44. After completion & initial commissioning, it'll have to be delivered from La Rochelle to Annapolis for final commissioning.

I'm just starting to get quotes for this, but if anyone with delivery experience could chime in...what "should" this cost?

DH
dochueb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2012, 21:31   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Ocean Delivery Cost

The cheapest around 100euro/day + expenses to $300-400/day + expenses...
Depends whether you play with free lancers or an established company...
both supply skippers then put out tenders for free crew...

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2012, 01:08   #3

Re: Ocean Delivery Cost

Just make sure you pay the Boatman Doc
Kiwi303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2012, 10:12   #4

Send a message via Yahoo to bvimatelot Send a message via Skype™ to bvimatelot

Either a daily rate, as boatman suggested, or, to me, a fairer/better way is a mileagwe quote ($3 to 4 per mile) plus fuel, harbour dues if necessary and crew travel to/from boat.

pm me for a quote! Best, Tony
bvimatelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2012, 10:57   #5
cruiser

When everything is considered, travel expenses, food, wages, lost wages, wear and tear and fuel... delivery via a shipping company is about the same, if not cheaper.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2012, 11:11   #6

Send a message via Yahoo to bvimatelot Send a message via Skype™ to bvimatelot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
When everything is considered, travel expenses, food, wages, lost wages, wear and tear and fuel... delivery via a shipping company is about the same, if not cheaper.
It wasn't the last time I looked!! However, shipping costs have come down dramatically during the recession and shippers are actively touting for trade so you may well be right!! Tony
bvimatelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2012, 14:19   #7

Boat: a sailing boat

The boatyard will recommend good delivery crew.

I would count 1 EUR/USD per mile for delivery in the good season plus return tickets. Remember there will be likely two crew. Double the figures.

Needless to say, the owner pays all dockage/fuel and all other boat related costs too.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2012, 15:31   #8

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only

When our Privilege 39 was new, we had it shipped by freighter. The boat sailed from France to England with a delivery crew before it was put on a ship in England. On the way to Britain, the crew managed to hit something and put a hole in the bow that required a repair on the starboard bow.

If I had to do it again, I would sail it myself as first choice. Second choice would be a freighter. Third choice would be a delivery crew, because I have not been impressed with some of the delivery crews that I have encountered over the years.

Just my two cents.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2012, 17:12   #9

Boat: 41' Sail

That's a real shame, Max. I have several stories of cargo ships not preparing the boat for 40-50kts of apparent wind. Also some real hidden costs in de commissioning and re commissioning. Re stepping the mast is a whole lot more involved than taking her down. Plus delivery crew to the pick up point abnd then to final destination.

Lots of capable and good Captains. Vetting is critical. Do the homework with references from owners of past deliveries!

I charge flat rates per nm. $2.50 US. You pay, food aboard, fuel, flights to boat and home, other misc travel expenses.

Have many reliable references and extensive sailing c/v from over 120,000nm international verified blue water miles. Not one insurance claim or injury to boot! Proud of that! Also non smoker as is my crew.

PM me or email me: earthakat at msn dot com.

Cheers!

jeffry
Old 27-10-2012, 19:32   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

I am going to use Jeff next year. I will tell you what I think of him then . In the meantime though, I did not vett as well as I should, and I ended up cleaning 10 lbs of crap out of a head that was stopped up, and throwing away glasses that they used to smoke their weed in. Not only that, but they decided to live in my boat before and afterwards for a few days! I also have a roller furler that doesn't work right now. And the list goes on. If you want to know who to avoid, PM me. (Its not Jeffry)
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2012, 21:37   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
I am going to use Jeff next year. I will tell you what I think of him then . In the meantime though, I did not vett as well as I should, and I ended up cleaning 10 lbs of crap out of a head that was stopped up, and throwing away glasses that they used to smoke their weed in. Not only that, but they decided to live in my boat before and afterwards for a few days! I also have a roller furler that doesn't work right now. And the list goes on. If you want to know who to avoid, PM me. (Its not Jeffry)

I really wish you would contact any of my references! You should!! No kidding! All of them love to advise of the condtion of the vessel as it was delivered along with the professional approach tio the whole deal. Not a single owner has ever given me a poor score. I'm prudent and clean anmd proud of it. just sayin'...
Old 27-10-2012, 21:39   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
Incredible! Craigslist... So sorry about that! I wanted to deliver your Valiant!
Old 27-10-2012, 22:25   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Its just like my byline states: wisdom is bitter at first.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2012, 22:31   #14

Thanks for the vote of confidence!! Should check my references. At least Leo! He likes to advise.. really!
Old 27-10-2012, 23:51   #15
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

Hi Doshueb,

Congratulatyion on yr Helia. I did the transfer of Helia #1 from Istanbul to MArmaris, did last year my Atlantic trip (Marmaris-BVI-Marmaris) in one season with my Orana and are bringing every year couple of catamarans from La Rochelle to Marmaris.
Here are my sugggestions:

-if you have the experience to make the delivery yrself, do it. If you don't join the team as a first mate, seaman or whatever. That will be a life time experience and the best way to familiarise with yr new baby. If you cannot make the entire trip, at least join a part of tthe trip.
-find someone who has done it on board of a catamaran.
-rig the boat with a second genoa for sailing down wind with twin genoa or a spinneaker. That will not only shorten the travel time, hence, the cost but will also put less strain on the boat.
-if you have trouble in finding the right people, I can suggest you some names. Some of them are working free lance, some others are with a company.
Good luck..

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote