Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2011, 14:58   #1

Boat: Hallberg Rassy Monsun 31
Need Advice from Experienced Seagoers Regarding New Boat

Hi all

So basically I am looking into the idea of finally owning my own boat instead of just going to sail once in a blue moon when friends visit.

My main problem right now, before even considering a boat, is that I have zero idea on what other costs are involved (mainly marina fees/maintanance/etc) when one has such a shiny toy to play with

I'd ask my friend if they also owned theirs but they just charter one from were they live and just sail around in the Mediterranean. . .

So I am mostly interested in getting an idea of roughly how much upkeep does a boat cost. Also what would be good starter boats? I was thinking of a 9-11m max boat. Useage - Weekends, summer, whenever I have the chance =p (hurray for long summer leave).

PS: I am from Malta so I think mostly EU or local ppl might be able to help >.<

Also budget that I am thinking about roughly is around Eur30,000 to buy the boat and right now calculating on Eur5,000 a year (just random figure as I have no idea what insurance and maintanance cost!)

Thank you in advance

-Thorbad
Thorbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 18:41   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Need Advice from Experienced Seagoers Regarding New Boat

Hi Thorbad,

You ask a common question for new boaters and one of the more difficult to answer.

Regular, ongoing costs like monthly dock costs can vary hugely. Cannot give specific examples in EU but in the US for a 12-14 Meter boat it could cost over USD$1000/month to under $400/month. In the north US or around large cities costs more, further south and far from town is the cheapest. From what I know you have similar differences in EU. If you find a place that has mooring (a large, permanent anchor) instead of a dock it can be cheaper. You just have to research marina costs in the area where you want to keep the boat. A good place to get information is www.noonsite.com.

More difficult is how much it costs for maintenance. Kind of like asking what it costs for maintenance on your car. If you have a new car, then not much. If you have an old car with 200,000 Km on the meter then it will be more. If the engine or transmission blows up then it could be a lot. Same thing with a boat.

Depending on how much you sail and how well you care for them, sails can last 3-4 years or 10-12 years. If you buy new sails for 12-14 M boat
they could be USD$3000-$4000 each. Average figure new sails after 6-10 years of active sailing.

Also, how handy are you? If you know how to do wiring, plumbing, engine repairs, etc then the costs are much, much less. If you pay a professional it will be a lot.

Hope this helps at least a little.

Good luck.

Skip
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 20:25   #3

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only

You can't answer your question without selecting a specific boat in specific condition in a specific location.

We sailed from Turkey to Trinidad without ever staying in a marina, so marina costs were zero.

Our new Privilege 39 catamaran cost zero to maintain during the first year of our circumnavigation. By the tenth year, there were significant expenses.

It all depends on the choices you make.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 20:38   #4

Boat: 1974 islander 44
kinda like asking how much a girlfriend costs , and what kind of girlfriend should I get.......
Svsilvergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 21:40   #5

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svsilvergirl View Post
kinda like asking how much a girlfriend costs , and what kind of girlfriend should I get.......

...oh oh...don't make me go there...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 21:44   #6
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svsilvergirl View Post
Amen!
Old 05-10-2011, 01:53   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
25%...

My rule of thumb before I brought Boracay was that long term costs were 25% of the good condition value of the boat.

So if E30,000 is the value of the boat then your long term cost may be of the order of E7,500p.a.

In Europe your labour, parts and rent may be higher than in Oz, so be sure to factor that in.

I'd be guessing that you could charter a boat for less.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 04:51   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

in malta mooring alone is going to cost 500 euro a month then annual haul out 1-2000 euro
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 07:15   #9

Lots to be said for a long, narrow, trailerable boat.
Wavewacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 11:51   #10

Thank you for your replies till now.

Something that I was currently looking at as an example is the following:

CAP NORD TYPE 21

Also this should I consider forming a partnership with a friend and also chartering it when not in use:

Endurance Ketch: buy used sailboat / sailing yacht - buy and sale

Procedures/total costs I have no idea about but all your comments have been usefull. Keep them comming!!

Thanks
Old 05-10-2011, 11:56   #11

Thank you all for your kind replies.

Something that I have been looking at recently was the following:

CAP NORD TYPE 21

Was recently refitted and most of the stuff is new as per the advert. Maybe it helps you guys help me

Something else I am considering if my friend is interested in forming a partnership to cut down on costs (+ also able to charter boat when not in use) is this:

Endurance Ketch: buy used sailboat / sailing yacht - buy and sale

Thank you for your replies. Keep them coming since they are very usefull!!

Also can I for example anchor/moor my boat in another country were is it cheaper? Or it cannot be done?
Old 05-10-2011, 13:46   #12

Boat: Gib'Sea 302, 30' - Hydra

Thorbad,
I paid 30,000€ in 2004 for a 9m sailing yacht, in France.

Since then, I put approximately the same sum in taxes, insurance, maintenance including haulout and bottom paint, various upgrades (VHF, GPS, anchors...), sail replacement. In the beginning, I only had a mooring (bought 600€ second-hand, 200€ annual tax). Now, I have a berth in a marina (1700€/year). More convenient but much more expensive. I don't live aboard.

So, your first estimate is a good starting point. Much will depend on the initial equipment of the boat and on what maintenance you will be able to do by yourself.

Alain
Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 14:26   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydra View Post
Thorbad,
I paid 30,000€ in 2004 for a 9m sailing yacht, in France.

Since then, I put approximately the same sum in taxes, insurance, maintenance including haulout and bottom paint, various upgrades (VHF, GPS, anchors...), sail replacement. In the beginning, I only had a mooring (bought 600€ second-hand, 200€ annual tax). Now, I have a berth in a marina (1700€/year). More convenient but much more expensive. I don't live aboard.

So, your first estimate is a good starting point. Much will depend on the initial equipment of the boat and on what maintenance you will be able to do by yourself.

Alain

I know it might be a stupid question but what is and what is the difference between a mooring and a marina? Marina I know. But isn't a mooring a marina too?
Old 05-10-2011, 15:18   #14

Boat: Sceptre 41

Thorbad Marina is where you can tie to a dock and walk off of the boat. Mooring is a ball that you tie to in the water and need a dinghy to get to shore. I have a 10m meter boat in Italy. It cost me 20k Euro to buy. It would like a new engine cost 7k Euro plus install costs. It could use a new sail cost of $2200 USD. Also I spent about $3k USD on materials in order to get her ready to sail. It costs me $180Euro to keep her on the hard and then $150Euro each way to put her in and take her out. I would advice getting a boat that doesn't need much work b/c in the long run they are usually cheaper.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 16:37   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Thorbad Marina is where you can tie to a dock and walk off of the boat. Mooring is a ball that you tie to in the water and need a dinghy to get to shore. I have a 10m meter boat in Italy. It cost me 20k Euro to buy. It would like a new engine cost 7k Euro plus install costs. It could use a new sail cost of $2200 USD. Also I spent about $3k USD on materials in order to get her ready to sail. It costs me $180Euro to keep her on the hard and then $150Euro each way to put her in and take her out. I would advice getting a boat that doesn't need much work b/c in the long run they are usually cheaper.

Oh ok thank you for clearing that out.

And I guess to get to know how much work is needed is to employ a surveyor right?