Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 02-09-2014, 13:45   #91

Boat: Cape Dory 33
Re: My Dream Retirement-Is this Possible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtM View Post
$700/month does not include health care. These people either do not have health care, or receive health care benefits many others here cannot get.
The OP will already have his health care provided as part of his military retirement, and he earned every single bit of it.

https://share.delorme.com/SVAnteris
oldragbaggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 17:47   #92

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by brantleychuck View Post
One of the benefits of a $700 a month income is that in the US that includes automatic free health care. Courtesy of the rest of us

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum

I've been retired now for about 12 yrs. 20 yrs 6 months, 5 days.
My "free" medical comes out of my check monthly, I believe it $556 a year, plus I have copays and my medical covers about 85% of the cost I think.

Not what you were led to believe is it? Do not take my word for it, google "how much does tricare prime cost a military retiree"

edited by Pete7

Old 02-09-2014, 17:54   #93

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Damn IPAD app won't let me correct my post, it's $550 or so per YR, not month, but I still pay a significant copay, and meds can be real expensive too, somehow thee VA can help with that, but as I don't have any real expensive monthly meds I haven't tried to figure that out.
BTW when I joined up, Dental and Vision was part of that free medical, not so anymore, now there is NO Dental and Vision plans, unless you pay for them and my wifes plans at work are better so we pay for those.
I'm not complaining, far from it. Army was very good to me, only want to make you guys aware that it's maybe not what you heard is all.
Old 02-09-2014, 18:46   #94

My comment was not directed at any benefits that may have been earned through military service. My point is this. In California. With a income of 700 a month you WILL receive a health care plan and pay nothing. With a income of 700 a month you can walk into any hospital emergency and will receive treatment by law. You will get a huge bill and will not pay it, you have virtually no money in which to do so. When you return to the emergency room the fact that you did not pay the last time will have zero affect on the care you receive.
Now all of you who want or aspire to live on very little. Please do so. I often find the words of Sailorchick inspiring, her point do view is awsome. Her lifestyle seems to suit her well. Not sure what any of this means but I'll go back to my high horse, cigs and booze now.

Old 02-09-2014, 20:59   #95

Boat: Catalina 36

Quote:
My comment was not directed at any benefits that may have been earned through military service. My point is this. In California. With a income of 700 a month you WILL receive a health care plan and pay nothing. With a income of 700 a month you can walk into any hospital emergency and will receive treatment by law. You will get a huge bill and will not pay it, you have virtually no money in which to do so. When you return to the emergency room the fact that you did not pay the last time will have zero affect on the care you receive.
Now all of you who want or aspire to live on very little. Please do so. I often find the words of Sailorchick inspiring, her point do view is awsome. Her lifestyle seems to suit her well. Not sure what any of this means but I'll go back to my high horse, cigs and booze now.

As I said, my partner's income is quite a bit higher, but he doesn't have anything he wants to spend money on. He does not have free healthcare, nor do I. We simply choose to live frugally so we can spend more time sailing later.
Old 03-09-2014, 18:30   #96

Boat: 1902 Dutch Tjalk, 64'

Confucius say: Those who think they can live on water alone forget to ask their boat's opinion.

Actually, I said it, but you get the drift...

Jacques
Old 03-09-2014, 18:33   #97
sitting on the dock of the bay

Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neeltje View Post
Confucius say: Those who think they can live on water alone forget to ask their boat's opinion
Old 05-09-2014, 07:31   #98

WD:
Several ideas for you. I would recommend you pick up several of the books by the Pardeys. I am reading 3 of them now. The have been cruising for a long time now and they have a lot of sound advice. I would echo some previous comments. You can do very well with a used boat in the 30-40 foot range. I would suggest less is better as far as equipment, electronics etc on your used boat. You are going to want to replace it, why buy older equipment on your boat and then replace it. I bought a Cape Dory 33 with much the same idea as you. It was pretty bare bones. I have a 5 yr plan to install what I need to make it seaworthy and comfortable for an extended circumnavigation

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 05-09-2014, 08:05   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfsurgpa View Post
WD:
Several ideas for you. I would recommend you pick up several of the books by the Pardeys. I am reading 3 of them now. The have been cruising for a long time now and they have a lot of sound advice. I would echo some previous comments. You can do very well with a used boat in the 30-40 foot range. I would suggest less is better as far as equipment, electronics etc on your used boat. You are going to want to replace it, why buy older equipment on your boat and then replace it. I bought a Cape Dory 33 with much the same idea as you. It was pretty bare bones. I have a 5 yr plan to install what I need to make it seaworthy and comfortable for an extended circumnavigation

Love your boat choice, Vfsurgpa. We're in the process of doing the same with our 33 except we're on the 1 year, 10 month plan so we need to hurry.

And I agree with your advice, older basic boat is the way to go to start. Less to maintain, less to handle, less to go wrong, more money left in the cruising kitty to start. Then after you learn your boat and learn your cruising style/wants/needs add the gear that is really worth it to you.

https://share.delorme.com/SVAnteris
oldragbaggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 09:11   #100

Re: My dream retirement-Is this possible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind_Dreamer View Post
Sailorchic34, i am pretty good with the maintenance. I have built a few cars in my day to include everything from electrical to full motor rebuilds. When it comes to working the electrical on a boat or working on a small diesel motor, i will be able to handle all that. I can't say i have good wood working skills, though I did build a balcony on my last house that I was pretty proud of. Which means it was very sturdy but wasn't the most aesthetic balcony in the neighborhood.

Roverhi, the Admiral shouldn't be an issue with the frugal lifestyle. She grew up in a small village behind the Iron Curtain of Eastern Europe. In fact when we were looking at engagement rings, she told me 1/4 carat was too big and she was afraid she would get her ring caught on too many things. She picked out her own ring which turned out to be something like 1/8 carat.

PatnKarl, thanks for all the info. It is good to know that there are people out there that have done what I would love to do and have been successful at it. Your words of experience are greatly appreciated.

Ann T. Cate, i would not establish a relationship between this dream and "battle stress" or PTSD. There are many things that are leading me in this direction. I am fed up with the system and I don't much like the direction America is going. But that is a political conversation for another time.
Many people seem to think that I am getting started early at 43. I feel like I am getting a late start. i would like get to this while I am still young and capable. I don't want to work my life away then at the end, turn around and wonder what I did the whole time. I could stay in the military longer, boost the savings a bit more and increase my monthly pension payment but at what point do I tell myself this is enough, its time to quit? I am afraid that if I just keep working, I will never find that quitting point where I can just walk away from it all. Transitioning out of the military is a great time to walk away from it because it is a significant change in lifestyle to begin with.

Old 05-09-2014, 11:19   #101

I am reading thru this entire thread, but only part way so far. At 43, you are pretty young. I am 62, wife same age. We have a 5-6 yr plan to ready my boat and then take off and cruise. (I have 6 years of child support to go) there is no way you cannot do this , if you want to. I think some of the advice given here is worth considering. You need a backup for working is the cruising thing doesn't pan out. I would get in school for something related, that way you can cruise part of the time and take a break if you need to replenish the bank acct. investing a large percent of that 130k makes sense. You can get a lot of boat for 50 k. I got a good 33 footer for 30k. I can do a lot of the upgrades myself. When we land retire, I am thinking of Ireland. But I want to cruise at least a few yrs before that.

Old 08-09-2014, 18:00   #102

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

Quote:
I often find the words of Sailorchick inspiring, her point do view is awsome. Her lifestyle seems to suit her well.
Sailorchic is indeed very level-headed and has a pretty realistic viewpoint, and the last time this conversation came up I let it pass out of respect for her and many others like her, but the reality is that if she, or anyone else not well covered becomes seriously injured, she WILL receive very expensive medical care and will NOT ever be able to pay for it.

It recently happened to a liveaboard sailing instructor I personally took lessons from. His family was requesting donations from friends to support him and his wife during the most critical phases of his recovery. I don't know if his medical costs were insured or not.
Old 09-09-2014, 20:12   #103

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtM View Post
Sailorchic is indeed very level-headed and has a pretty realistic viewpoint, and the last time this conversation came up I let it pass out of respect for her and many others like her, but the reality is that if she, or anyone else not well covered becomes seriously injured, she WILL receive very expensive medical care and will NOT ever be able to pay for it.
You are of course so right. I am stinking poor. I am all so well aware of that too. I am somewhat lucky in that I am pretty healthy and have good genetics, in that my aunts and grand mother live or lived long lifes with minimum care till well past 85-90.

I do ponder what would happen should I break a leg on deck while single handing. So far I'm good. Really I don't worry about things I can't change. Figure I'll die a bit sooner, but that's not a big issue. I'm enjoying life now and I expect I enjoy it more then many with lots more.

My big goal is to make it to 62 so I can collect SSI and live the high life on the largeness that is SS. I'll be cruising in style then...

Ok,that may not seem big to some, but when your at the sub $500/ month lifestyle, $1500 is huge... Figure I'll be able to save a bit then too ;-). Alas, it's not that far away.
Old 12-09-2014, 12:57   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
My big goal is to make it to 62 so I can collect SSI and live the high life on the largeness that is SS. I'll be cruising in style then...
The biggest risks aren't on the boat, they are on land. Walking or riding bicycles along roadways, especially poorly lit ones with no sidewalks such as are common around low-priced marinas is where the risk lies.

Walk against traffic, pay attention to the oncoming cars, and be prepared to leap for the bushes.

After what happened to my former instructors, it scares the hell out me to see anyone walking along a roadway like that.
Old 12-09-2014, 13:00   #105

Anyway, to correct the thread drift, the OP is in fact a military retiree with full health benefits and a guaranteed retirement income - both well earned, as previously mentioned.

All this other jibber-jabber has been a bit of thread drift referring to Americans in general who try to travel on $700/mo without health coverage.

Tags
men, retirement

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: