Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2014, 16:41   #76
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Re: My dream retirement-Is this possible?

Here is a book by a gal with the same dream and even less money.

Lots of good advice if now somewhat dated.

Still a good and inspirational read.

Voyaging on a small income. Ann Hill.

Voyaging On A Small Income, 2nd Edition: Annie Hill, John Blackburn: 9781888671377: Amazon.com: Books
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 17:13   #77

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

Your military retirement includes global medical benefits I believe, and further does not impose any "physical presence" requirements.

Because of that, it is very feasible to sail the world on $1300/mo. It will be a frugal but rewarding lifestyle. It will definitely not be like the "500" a month lifestyle.

They key for you, I think, is having a boat that you can be comfortably moored in. You won't be staying in Marinas in high demand areas, which can run close to $1300/month alone, but you can migrate through marinas in lower demand areas and plan to moor in other areas.

If you can qualify to join a Yacht club at a reasonable cost, you might consider doing so. This will give you privileges at other Yacht clubs around the world. I haven't actually DONE this, but am currently considering a membership at the Waikiki Yacht club, which is (I'm told) only $400/yr. At that price, I might keep it permanently, even after I am long gone from Hawaii. Others with RL experience can maybe offer their input - I'm not sure if this is really a beneficial or not.

I wish I had stayed in the Air Force - I could be where you are now.
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2014, 20:18   #78

Boat: PSC 37

Just a thought, why not 'pretire'? Get a simple, coastal cruiser, say a Sabre 30 or even a Beneteau or Catalina, and do the Bahamas for a year or two. Then come back and work awhile, to get Soc Sec on top of your pension? And eventually truly retire, on a better boat, but at an older age.

You can get one if these boats inexpensively, and they are sufficient for the Bahamas. You would need to dip into savings to top up your pension, but it would be temporary. Many people say the Bahamas are good enough for a lifetime of cruising.

This would get you out when you are young, but give you a chance to make up ground later. You're right, you don't get younger, so go now. Early 40s us ideal fir a trip like this! Good luck!

An Ocean Lover in Maine.
Old 30-08-2014, 20:24   #79

Boat: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by jangann View Post
Just a thought, why not 'pretire'? Get a simple, coastal cruiser, say a Sabre 30 or even a Beneteau or Catalina, and do the Bahamas for a year or two. Then come back and work awhile, to get Soc Sec on top of your pension? And eventually truly retire, on a better boat, but at an older age.

You can get one if these boats inexpensively, and they are sufficient for the Bahamas. You would need to dip into savings to top up your pension, but it would be temporary. Many people say the Bahamas are good enough for a lifetime of cruising.

This would get you out when you are young, but give you a chance to make up ground later. You're right, you don't get younger, so go now. Early 40s us ideal fir a trip like this! Good luck!

An Ocean Lover in Maine.
Would and could be a great idea, but.....

Depending on one's type of work and position, finding a way back into the workplace, at least at the type work as before, could be impossible. Companies don't do a good job of hiring those nearing retirement age, especially those who have taken two years off. Age discrimination is alive and well and virtually no way to really address. It's often not a company practice but that of individual hiring managers.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2014, 20:31   #80

Boat: PSC 37

Then OP's just gonna hafta make it rain, like the rest of us.

An Ocean Lover in Maine.
Old 31-08-2014, 06:46   #81
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cheoy Lee, 44 Cutter. Dolce Far Niente

WIND DREAMER not to rain on anyone's parade BUT. Every time I read one of these threads about "Cruising on $1,500 a month" I cringe. Try and remember that there are a lot of dreamers out there (good thing) who do not own a boat and have not really been anywhere yet giving theoretical advice. The idea that someone can buy a boat that is hopefully paid for and cast off for the far corners of the globe living on $1,500 a month is a joke. For a reality check do the math on living where you are right now on that amount with no boat to maintain or repair every 5 minutes. I don't care if you forage for twigs and berries, two people can not live any kind of enjoyable lifestyle on $375 a week in the U.S.A. Now factor in the cost of living in the Caribbean, Europe, or almost anywhere else where the cost of living is MUCH, MUCH higher, and the cost of maintaining and repairing a boat that breaks every time you turn around. I have been cruising the Caribbean for years now and have NEVER met anyone living on close to that amount of money, even the boat bums I run across with run down decrepit old wrecks are spending more than that. And they are not very happy. The poverty level in the U.S. is $23,050 a year not the $18,000 proposed, and most of those people have FREE housing not a boat which requires $$$ infusions every 5 minutes. Do yourself a favor and find some REAL people who are just back from cruising and ask them what it really costs out here. I see a lot of people cruising who had unrealistic expectations derived from reading too much BS on the internet before buying a boat and setting out to live the "DREAM". They are unhappy, frustrated people who never have enough money to do anything, spend most of there time cursing the day they boat the DAMN BOAT and end up selling the thing in some distant port for a huge loss before going home with there tail between there legs. I think you should try and live your dreams but make sure you are prepared for reality. Good luck
rourkeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2014, 08:36   #82

We couldn't live happily on $1500 per month but that doesn't mean others don't. I know many here who do and are very happy with their lives, happier than when they made much more. Instead of saying it's impossible and they can't be happy, you need to read more of what they've written. I don't want to live the lifestyle they do, but I applaud how they've found what works for them and makes them happy. And they don't seem angry or deprived. They have boats that are paid for and spend very little on anything. Food is their main expense.

I don't like insulting anyone else's lifestyle. I respect those who find their way, however it is.

As to the US and Caribbean, there are many far less expensive places in the world to live. In fact, the vast majority of the world is less expensive than the US, Canada, Western Europe and Australia. You don't have to go far. Mexico, El Salvador, Honduras, even less so but Panama and Costa Rica. Trinidad. Or cross the world to the Philippines or Thailand. India.

Each person dreams in their own way. But the smartest people are the ones capable of turning what they have into a dream. From the day I met my wife our life has been a dream. We didn't dream to imagine life as it is today. We just took the miracle of each day and made the most of it. We are blessed and lucky and we know it. But we went through some things along the way that very few ever face and we let our love carry us through them. We had dreams and realized they were just temporary roadblocks.

I know people who live some incredible lives frugally and they're among the happiest people I know. Others are bitter. But I know happy wealthy people and miserable ones too.
Old 31-08-2014, 08:52   #83

Boat: csy 37

I personally know two singlehanders who live on much less - one $700/month and one on a bit less. One in florida and the other mostly in the bahamas. Neither has expressed any thoughts of giving up the lifestyle. And dont forget sailorchic34.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2014, 09:07   #84

Boat: Catalina 36
Re: My Dream Retirement-Is this Possible?

My partner lives on his boat, in a Marina in the expensive northwest and does so on about $700 a month. It used to be less but he decided to buy a beater car to make life easier.

If I subtract out my mortgage I live on less than $400 a month and that includes 2 cats, a dozen chickens and heating more house than I need.

I just don't understand what you $1500 a month people spend your money on.
Old 31-08-2014, 09:24   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
I personally know two singlehanders who live on much less - one $700/month and one on a bit less. One in florida and the other mostly in the bahamas. Neither has expressed any thoughts of giving up the lifestyle. And dont forget sailorchic34.
Quality of life and standard of living is best determined by your mental state. It's whatever can bring you happiness. We made friends last fall with this incredible family. The oldest daughter is a stew. Both parents always worked two jobs to get by, low paying jobs. Their house is small. They are the happiest most wonderful family and we're so proud to be their friends. We're honored they invite us to their home for family meals and we're honored when they come to our home. We met the daughter first and just knowing her and listening to her we knew the parents were special people. You enter their home and feel the warmth. Same house they've lived in for 20 years but they've continued to fix it up. Beautiful and clean. Five of the happiest people you could ever meet.

I know a lawyer who earned millions. His final case he was appointed by the court to defend a rapist and murderer. He was found not guilty. The lawyer had a complete breakdown. He couldn't get over feeling all his money was dirty. He bought an older Carver and moved aboard on the lake. He fished and swam. Got a ride occasionally to the grocery. Would help people with anything he could. Did some volunteer work. Had money invested but never spent any of it. Found happiness he'd never known.
Old 31-08-2014, 10:22   #86

Boat: IP32 ~Whimsy~

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Quality of life and standard of living is best determined by your mental state. It's whatever can bring you happiness. We made friends last fall with this incredible family. The oldest daughter is a stew. Both parents always worked two jobs to get by, low paying jobs. Their house is small. They are the happiest most wonderful family and we're so proud to be their friends. We're honored they invite us to their home for family meals and we're honored when they come to our home. We met the daughter first and just knowing her and listening to her we knew the parents were special people. You enter their home and feel the warmth. Same house they've lived in for 20 years but they've continued to fix it up. Beautiful and clean. Five of the happiest people you could ever meet.

I know a lawyer who earned millions. His final case he was appointed by the court to defend a rapist and murderer. He was found not guilty. The lawyer had a complete breakdown. He couldn't get over feeling all his money was dirty. He bought an older Carver and moved aboard on the lake. He fished and swam. Got a ride occasionally to the grocery. Would help people with anything he could. Did some volunteer work. Had money invested but never spent any of it. Found happiness he'd never known.
Wonderful stories, BandB, and so true. I have known very poor folks and very rich ones. Happiness comes from within not from without. In fact, I know one family who have literally millions in the bank. They are so worried about losing their money that they won't travel abroad. They are afraid of being kidnapped. In essence, they are in jail with their treasures. What a shame!
angelfish2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 10:35   #87

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatInHand View Post
My partner lives on his boat, in a Marina in the expensive northwest and does so on about $700 a month. It used to be less but he decided to buy a beater car to make life easier.

If I subtract out my mortgage I live on less than $400 a month and that includes 2 cats, a dozen chickens and heating more house than I need.

I just don't understand what you $1500 a month people spend your money on.
$700/month does not include health care. These people either do not have health care, or receive health care benefits many others here cannot get.
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 10:47   #88

One of the benefits of a $700 a month income is that in the US that includes automatic free health care. Courtesy of the rest of us

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
brantleychuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 11:08   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by brantleychuck View Post
One of the benefits of a $700 a month income is that in the US that includes automatic free health care. Courtesy of the rest of us

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
He makes much more than that, but chooses not to spend frivolously. Health insurance is expensive, but health care doesn't have to be. Sorry grouchy "I'm better than you" guy, lots of people do pay their own way in the world and still don't spend extravagantly.
Old 02-09-2014, 11:12   #90

I also pay for health insurance and that is included in my $400 a month number.

We don't buy alcohol, cigarettes, meals out or lots of clothes. We volunteer to see musical and theater performances for free and fix all of our own stuff.

Tags
men, retirement