Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 14-06-2011, 14:56   #16

Boat: S&S Hughes 38
Re: Modern, yet cheap. Bluewater worthy, yet fast?

A Hughes 38 in Mexico,ready to cruise.Open to offers.

Old 14-06-2011, 15:06   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1969 Pearson 35 #108 & 1976 Sabre 28
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

The idea that you have to have a keel stepped mast is total BS. There have been a number of threads about this and a search of the archives should turn up the why of it.

Older designs aren't necessarily slow just slow on certain points of sail or in very low wind conditions. Proper planning will almost always take care of those problems. Did a solo TransPac in my current 41 year old boat in 15.25 days and didn't work at it. Our supposedly slow Westsai 32 had better passage times than any boat within 6' of it's hull length and often turned in 150 nm days with a top of 177. Biggest difference between new and old comes in surfing conditions and you'd better have a good crew if you are going to try sailing on the edge 24/7 to get the spectacular days runs possible. It's embarassing to lose the stick in the middle of the ocean.

Look for an older racing boat if you want to have high performance in all condtions. Something like this will go fast though probably mainly pipe berths down below: Custom 40' Aluminum racing sailboat. If you like the C&C 41, the Newport 41 is the same boat but has a solid fiberglass hull without the potential problems of a cored hull. One just sold here in very nice condition and pretty much equipped to go long distances for an asking price of $45,0000.

Old 14-06-2011, 15:59   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kman07 View Post

I would like to have a keel stepped mast, because I have heard of local horror stories of deck stepped masts being ripped off of boats in storm force winds - this could be BS, but it seems the consensus around the harbours up here is preferably keel stepped. However, I could be totally wrong on this!
Deck stepped versus keel stepped is a contentious issue for some. I am not aware of a consensus up here.

Some, if not all, of Bill Crealock's designs are deck stepped, so are Nauticats; among others.
ASA 201, 203,204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2011, 17:48   #19

Boat: looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
The idea that you have to have a keel stepped mast is total BS. There have been a number of threads about this and a search of the archives should turn up the why of it.
I don't believe that the OP suggested one has to have a keel stepped mast, he seems to be stating that requirement as a preference for himself. I see nothing wrong with that.
Old 14-06-2011, 17:54   #20

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35; Nordica 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by kman07 View Post
Sorry about the wording, it definitely wasn't the best thing i've ever posted on a forum. I will try and proof-read from now on

By 'modern' I meant not an outdated hull design; I am not even considering anything built in the last 25years as the price is way out of my league. I am pretty handy when it comes to fiberglass/wood/mechanical work, so I am planning on doing quite a bit of work myself after the purchase; not just a ready to sail deal.

I would like to have a keel stepped mast, because I have heard of local horror stories of deck stepped masts being ripped off of boats in storm force winds - this could be BS, but it seems the consensus around the harbours up here is preferably keel stepped. However, I could be totally wrong on this!

And thanks for the links bangkaboat! I will spend some time on yachtworld playing around with the advanced search
If you need to go back more than 25 years I'm not sure what you mean by a "modern" hull? Maybe you could give us an example of what you are talking about. Also, what is your idea of "fast". That's going to be a pretty relative thing depending on the hull you are thinking of.

I agree with other comments about the keel stepped mast. I think its BS. Our old Baba, a Bob Perry design, was deck stepped and a tough boat. Many have been around the globe as have other good deck stepped designs. Besides, a keel stepped can cause its own unique type of damage in a severe storm, like ripping a big hole through your cabin top.
Old 14-06-2011, 18:19   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

It really comes down to you, most boats dont break, alot of people do. I would prefer to know my boat is a good strong one for peace of mind, but not of the point of requiring myself to have a boat built like a Westsail. (although I like them so dont take me wrong!) There's something to be said for a lighter boat for sure. Rigging, rudder, engine etc are very important. There's some bargains around, you might find the right one.

Tags
cheap

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: