Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2016, 12:43   #121
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Mexico cruising $1k/mo

regarding fuel in mexico--it is no longer only 2 bux a gallon. mexican diesel is close to 7 usd per gallon now and gas for cars is around 4 usd per gallon. things change, not usually for the better. that is a dream for when the refineries are back to operational at some point in future.
in summer marinas are affordable if you hit the right one, for reasonable rates and life is good on 1000- usd monthly.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 13:16   #122
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
regarding fuel in mexico--it is no longer only 2 bux a gallon. mexican diesel is close to 7 usd per gallon now and gas for cars is around 4 usd per gallon. things change, not usually for the better. that is a dream for when the refineries are back to operational at some point in future.
in summer marinas are affordable if you hit the right one, for reasonable rates and life is good on 1000- usd monthly.
Fuel is less than half that price in Montenegro.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	197
Size:	135.2 KB
ID:	130995  
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 14:01   #123

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
regarding fuel in mexico--it is no longer only 2 bux a gallon. mexican diesel is close to 7 usd per gallon now and gas for cars is around 4 usd per gallon.
Where are you buying diesel fuel at for $7 US a gallon? Are you using Canadian Dollars?

https://www.mexicomike.com/database/...rices_list.php

Pemex Gas Prices Drop in Baja California

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 16:51   #124

Boat: Seafarer36c

[QUOTE=jeremiason;2211068]Where are you buying diesel fuel at for $7 US a gallon? Are you using Canadian Dollars?

That is why some people can't live on $1k per month. PEMEX sells it for $3 and some dumb gringo pays $7 for it.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 16:53   #125

Boat: Sold Catalina 250

Zee has it figured out because she lives it.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
lorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 17:11   #126
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Here's a link to the yard prices, that I am currently in...
Price List | Marina Guaymas Looks like $150@month.
It is dirt and if I stay another year, I may put expendable plywood under the stands.
The domino boats were not Guaymas. I don't know where that was or even if it had anything to do with this hurricane. My boat is fine...apparently. I'll know in 5 weeks.
La Paz, in my opinion has become a retirement community. There is a waiting list for most marinas.10-20 years ago people sailed there boats there and never left. Most now seem too old to leave. This is probably why none of them offer discounts. A 35ft. boat like mine is $555@ month, which I find ludicrous. It's pretty funny listening to the VHF net in the morning and these guys that have not moved there boat in years giving out all sorts of "helpful" advice. The net does have many other merits to it. My favorite was swaps and trades.
And yes the Mx peso to the US dollar is very good this year. I'll be going into a fish taco coma.
Stop teasing me about the fish taco coma....it's killing me!

What's funny is that my daughter when down to La Paz for a month this summer to volunteer in a local orphanage/woman's home and she saw and heard some of the same folks that were living aboard in La Paz in 2007 when we first went down there. They were still working the radio net daily and still "planning" to head out cruising again after the "next project". La Paz can do that do you for sure. But the truth is...try to find a better life on the cheap than you can live in La Paz on a boat in a marina back in the USA. You can't. Sure it's a retirement community for some...but I also think its a dream retirement for many...this cruising bozo included, except that I don't do line dancing or play Mexican Bingo...ha ha.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 17:17   #127

mazatlan manzanillo barra de navidad-PEMEX-- fuel is not cheap in mexico anymore. 5.85 in la cruz no dock fee. 6.85 in barra(colimilla) plus dock fee 17 percent. manzanillo 5.85 usd per gallon, diesel.
gasoline 3.50 usd per gallon. i car pool with friends and pay attention to current prices. never buy fuel from a dolt on the road. always buy pemex.

racor 500fg filters, however, awesomely enough priced for me to buy 2 at one time, about 450 usd for two.
parts in manzanillo cheap same stuff as from us only better prices. but i donot shop snotyot stores.
Old 11-09-2016, 18:30   #128

Boat: Seafarer36c

[QUOTE=lorrie;2211178]Zee has it figured out because she lives it.

She reminds me of Donald Trump.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 18:45   #129

Boat: 50' Herreshoff Ketch

Yikes Zee, last fuel we bought was in San Carlos and was about $3.11/USD/gallon. Maybe your messing up a conversion, dollars/pesos or liters/gallons. I'd guess we've paid $3-$4/gallon since we've been here, getting fuel in La Paz, San Carlos, and Barra.

As for racors, I'm not a fan of them, they are expensive and their filter element is small. I use cummins fuel filters on our boat. We bought some at a cummins dealer in la paz, they are under $20/ea, and they are big filters, I only change them once a year.

The main fuel filters are 20 micron bulk, then 10 micron with water separation, then the fuel filter on the motor.

I remember when diesel was $5/gallon in the US, and $1.85/gallon in Mexico... then I come down here and the price flops the other way... San Diego has had the cheapest fuel we've seen in a while!
autumnbreeze27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 19:39   #130

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
Stop teasing me about the fish taco coma....it's killing me!

What's funny is that my daughter when down to La Paz for a month this summer to volunteer in a local orphanage/woman's home and she saw and heard some of the same folks that were living aboard in La Paz in 2007 when we first went down there. They were still working the radio net daily and still "planning" to head out cruising again after the "next project". La Paz can do that do you for sure. But the truth is...try to find a better life on the cheap than you can live in La Paz on a boat in a marina back in the USA. You can't. Sure it's a retirement community for some...but I also think its a dream retirement for many...this cruising bozo included, except that I don't do line dancing or play Mexican Bingo...ha ha.
Slips up in hippie Ca. are fairly cheap. My HR35 was $235@ month. When I had major dental work done in La Paz and needed a slip, I was paying $545 for a month. It was especially thoughtful of the marina to spray for cucarcachas in the darkness at night with their back-pak sprayers with who knows what, while everyone was sleeping with their ports open.

All the old timers there have their boats furthest from the seawall for good reason when the storms come. But come to think of it closer to the bathrooms for the weaker bladders...

[QUOTE=Guy;2211240]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorrie View Post
Zee has it figured out because she lives it.

She reminds me of Donald Trump.
That might be a little bit over the top. Zee has been very helpful with information.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 19:46   #131
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
But come to think of it closer to the bathrooms for the weaker bladders....
Now wait a second...they are surely using their holding tanks and having the regularly scheduled pump out cart come empty their holding tank right...ha ha ha. If I have to explain the joke any further...then you haven't been to Mexico.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 20:27   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
Now wait a second...they are surely using their holding tanks and having the regularly scheduled pump out cart come empty their holding tank right...ha ha ha. If I have to explain the joke any further...then you haven't been to Mexico.
I remember one morning, Mrs Shoyer got on the VHF's morning net and cursed up and down about someone who had purged their holding tank in broad daylight! It amazes me they can't even go out into the Mogote to do that. But pump out facilities???...Ha! You'll notice very few anchor outs clean their own bottoms (boat bottoms that is)
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 12-09-2016, 07:50   #133

as for the insult--at least i as not compared to hitlery. ha ha ha ha ha
politics aside--wow cs actually stood on my side of it ha ha h aha
lorrie we will meet in mazatlan when you get here--you will see my combover is much more stylish than wighats is....
Old 12-09-2016, 08:13   #134

Wrong or right, call it as I see it.
Old 12-09-2016, 08:29   #135
CLOD

Boat: none

hard to believe such a simple sounding thread can cause such "debate"

Tags
cruising, Mexico