Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2009, 12:59   #1

Boat: Sold, alas, because life happens.
Mex Liability Ins on the Web?

Short version: Has anyone succesfully obtained Mexican boat liability insurance over the internet? If so, would you either post a link or leave me a message with a link? Thanks in advance!

We are in Mazatlan at the tail-end of a one-year refit. Leaving on sea trials next week, (mid march '09) bound for La Paz. The ship's fianance officer - my wife noted our Mexican boat liability insurance expires in two weeks. Checked with the agent we used last year and YIKES! Soared from US 165 to US 285! Tried one web site & got a quote for US 365.

Note: We are Austrian residents on our Austrian flagged vessel. References to Boat US or the like just won't work for us. Any thoughts about web links?
svmariane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 17:03   #2

I got insurance on my 51' ketch today from Adventure Mexican Insurance Services - Online Mexico Insurance You will need to call them at 1-800-485-4075, since the site is set up mostly for auto insurance. It was about $365 for the minimum liability coverage. Many marinas and boat yards in Mexico require you to carry Mexican insurance.

Alan
apirateibr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 18:55   #3

Boat: 34' Searunner Tri
Try Lewis and Lewis at: Lewis and Lewis - The Best Mexican Auto Insurance
Jmolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 19:07   #4

Boat: Jeanneau Sunkiss 47
mexican liability insurance

Best deal we found was through the link below. We will be in Mazatlan in two w eeks to get our liferaft repacked-recertified Our 45 foot 1984 Jeanneau was about $200 if I remember for insurance. happy Sailing. Any suggestion from you on a reasonably priced marine there?

Gary

http://www.assuremex.com/boat_insurance.html
HorizonMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 19:24   #5

WHAT ????

Quote:
Originally Posted by apirateibr View Post
I got insurance on my 51' ketch today from Adventure Mexican Insurance Services - Online Mexico Insurance You will need to call them at 1-800-485-4075, since the site is set up mostly for auto insurance. It was about $365 for the minimum liability coverage. Many marinas and boat yards in Mexico require you to carry Mexican insurance.

Alan
Alan... Thank you for the quick reply! So quick that I guess you glossed over a few points I raised in my query. Just out of curiosity: When I asked for a web link, why would you think a telephone number would do? When I mentioned I could get insurance for approx US 265 from a broker and have already found web links quoting 365, why would you think another agent (also asking approx 365) would be of interest? And since I mentioned being in Mexico for a year doing a refit, and already HAD insurance but wish to renew and/or acquire new insurance, did you really believe it necessary to point out that Mexican liability insurance is required at many marinas and boat yards? In other words: Did you actually READ my post? If so, then why oh why did you respond in such an unconstructive, waste-of-time manner? {Atten moderator: Sorry... Sometimes the answers people post are just... Ahhh... forget it. Sorry.}
Old 10-03-2009, 20:06   #6

Good Tip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmolan View Post
Tried them... Not going to happen. But thanks for the tip!
Old 10-03-2009, 21:16   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorizonMarine View Post
Best deal we found was through the link below. We will be in Mazatlan in two weeks to get our liferaft repacked-recertified Our 45 foot 1984 Jeanneau was about $200 if I remember for insurance. happy Sailing. Any suggestion from you on a reasonably priced marine there? Gary http://www.assuremex.com/boat_insurance.html
Gary,
Thanks for the info! Tried the link - they quoted US 355 (better than 365 ;-) Seems prices have made a quantum jump since last spring. Ah, well. Didn't know about liferaft recert here! :-( Too late now.

Marinas: Three here about seven sea miles up north from the commercial harbor. All with WiFi, showers, laundry room (buy tokens) or laundry service avail. Dock electricity extra. Propane refill avail.

1) El Cid Marina (monitors ch 16). To starboard just after getting through the breakwater. Bit steeper cost than the others but has swimming pool with bar, cable TV at the dock, restaurant(s), beach area, indoor bar (happy hour with free finger food 1800 hrs sat). Coffee shop, touristy-things shop. Fuel dock. Easiest acces to public buses. Easiest acces by foot to local pubs & restaurants. Night music in the restaurant (loud on the docks).

2) Marina Mazatlan (monitors ch 16). Middle cost of the three. Furthest inside the harbor. Largest marina here. One coffee shop, one restaurant (neither affiliated with the marina) and the heads/showers a VERY long walk except from docks 6, 7 & 8. Short walk to buses. Long walk up & over the bridge before reaching El Cid area thence into town. No swimming pool. No fuel dock. Cruiser activities with a gregarious crowd - mostly day outings. Night music in the restaurant (loud on the closest docks). Most popular marina.

3) Singlar Marina. (monitors ch 67) One of many Singlar units run by the gov. in the Sea of Cortez. Lowest cost, but smallest in size: one dock only. Swimming pool, Jaccuzzi, best (IMHO) showers, heads, laundy room. Haul out crane & boat slip, dry storage, shipyard workers, fuel dock. Located between the other two marinas. {Singlar would be dock #1 for Marina Mazatlan but there were probs. The haul out lift is where dock #2 should be.} No coffee shop, no bar, no restaurant, no shops.... Gotta dingy or walk over to the other places. But no loid music! Catch the bus at the same stop as Marina Mazatlan.

We changed from Marina Maz to Singlar to save money.

Hope this helps! James.....