Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-04-2015, 10:23   #46

Re: Marina Charging What They Want?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
As often is the case, we are getting only one side of the story here. We don't have the actual contract to examine and we don't know the OP's interaction with marina management.

I suspect there is more to this than has been revealed. I don't think a marina and especially a publically owned marine would keep a boat "hostage" just to collect additional storage fees.
Thank you for your rude input, suggesting I'm full of ****. If you actually read my post, and a couple of responses to qiestions, you would realize that I explained everything I know about the situation. I was looking to see if I had any ground in the event conflict arose. I am not lying to anybody, so unless you have some legitimate help or assistance to offer.
fishwhisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2015, 10:26   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
Doesn't it all depend on where this boat is in the yard stacking order ? If there are 70 boats in the yard in front of this one then launch #71 seems about right. All yards launch the nearest boats first.

If you want to launch early then you have to haul out late.
As I said before, the marina has the boat at the end of a row, perfectly accessible. No boat in that marina needs to be shuffled out of the way for another one to launch anyways. There is adequate room for all of the boats.
Old 16-04-2015, 10:28   #48

Problem has been sorted out, marina is launching me the day before the storage contract is up.
Old 16-04-2015, 10:30   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
Think of those 30 days as a blessing. As others have stated $400 is a bargain. Get down there and evaluate what you can maintain on the boat during those 30 days. I bet after you sit down and work through some items you may well find you have 3 or more months of work to do on the boat.

Never be in a hurry to get back in the water unless you are SURE you know everything is done. Have you looked at your stuffing box, shaft, bottom paint, through hulls, rudder gudgeon, top side paint, etc. etc.? This is a good time to go spend the weekend on the boat with a heater and work out a plan of attack.
Thank you, but yes I already did all the scheduled maintenance, as well as repaired some delaminated fiberglass on the keel. Everything is in functioning condition. I have been driving the 4 hours to Whitby every weekend to work on the boat.
Old 16-04-2015, 10:38   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Well, the OP hasn't done us the courtesy of posting the terms of the last winter storage contract, and he hasn't got a clue (since he's five hours away from the marina) of what the posted or published rules of the marina are.

Kinda makes all debate useless, doesn't it?

So he's got a choice, follow the standard rules, which probably are in the winter storage contract or available at the marina office, and which probably say "if you don't keep it here in the summer, you're gonna pay dry storage till it is gone".

Of course the OP HAS a much better option available. Bring in a cargo helo, drop two slings, and just get it out of the marina by himself before any storage comes due. Or if it really is at the edge of the parking lot, just show up with a trailer if he can't handle the airlift rates.

But if the OP doesn't want to tell us the rest of the story, further WAGs as to the marina's contract and posted rules are a total waste of time.

Sorry, dude, that's just the way it is. You didn't do your homework. Get over it.
Yup that's what everybody else at the marina puts up with as well for pricing, but most of them are year round customers and don't intend to leave. So I'm sure the yard hasn't dealt with this as an issue very often. All the contracts are available online... It's a municipal run marina. In Canada, government transparency is often available in the form of public information online.

As for doing my homework, that's why I'm here, asking what grounds I have IF I need to argue anything... And yes, the boat is at the end of a row. How do you think I drove my car up to it in this photo... Really? Helicopters? Insanity aside, problem has been resolved.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1429205888323.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	100540  
Old 16-04-2015, 11:22   #51

Boat: Albin Coronado 35(1972)

As usual, there's two different types of customers here.

One who tends to give the marina(in this case), the benefit of the doubt when all the facts are not known, and the group who tends to go the other way, when all the facts are not known. I tend to give more benefit to the boaters, when all the actual, verifiable facts are not known.

I've been screwed a number of times ... many friends of mine have been screwed a number of times by marinas ... monetarily and otherwise.

Many of us just learn to never let the marina work on our boats, while others take their boats to other marinas to have work done.
SURV69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2015, 11:28   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by SURV69 View Post
As usual, there's two different types of customers here.

One who tends to give the marina(in this case), the benefit of the doubt when all the facts are not known, and the group who tends to go the other way, when all the facts are not known. I tend to give more benefit to the boaters, when all the actual, verifiable facts are not known.

I've been screwed a number of times ... many friends of mine have been screwed a number of times by marinas ... monetarily and otherwise.

Many of us just learn to never let the marina work on our boats, while others take their boats to other marinas to have work done.
I agree... When I was 17, I got screwed around by a garage when they were fixing my car. So I took night courses at the local college to become a mechanic. Save myself a fortune keeping old cars on the road now.

I've been building boats for the last 10 years. I plan to build my own trailer to launch when needed (I have a 3500 that can just barely legally tow this boat), and I have a large shop to store the boat at. I really don't need a marina. I certainly don't want to pay thousands of dollars a year to trust my investment in somebody elses hands.
Old 16-04-2015, 11:33   #53

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishwhisperer View Post
Problem has been sorted out, marina is launching me the day before the storage contract is up.

Glad you got the problem solved and your launch scheduled. Hope all goes well now and you can enjoy all the usual pleasures and challenges of boat ownership.

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2015, 11:38   #54

Thank you Tayana42! I hope you also have a fun filled boating season.
Old 16-04-2015, 11:56   #55
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

" I don't think a marina and especially a publically owned marine would keep a boat "hostage" just to collect additional storage fees."
That could easily be a rogue employee, trying to hike up the yard's oncome in order to justify his own pay raise or commission. It wouldn't be the first time an entire municipal official government function or department has been held guilty of criminal behavior. During the Civil War, the NYC police department was disbanded and replaced by the State, due to corruption in the Tammany Hall era. And around the same time (shortly after Gettysburg) elements of the State Militia literally arrested the mayor and the police who were trying to keep them out of City Hall, to prevent the arrest.
All sorts of fun has been done by officials. More recently, a central Florida municipal PD was also totally DISBANDED because they were using speeding traps to generate their income for the department. I think the Florida Senate (all honest gentlemen, cough cough) additionally passed a law stating that no PD can generate more than 1/3 of their income from traffic fines of any kind now. So they'll have to sell more tickets to the Policeman's Ball.
Another time-honored custom, not just urban myth.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2015, 12:38   #56

Boat: Camano Troll

After reading the last several posts by the OP, I think I know where the problem lies.
Old 16-04-2015, 12:51   #57

The problem is too many analytical, judgemental people online with nothing better to do than contribute very little to forum posts for their own self gratification and entertainment, rather than answering a legitimate question.
Old 16-04-2015, 14:37   #58

Or people only willing to accept posts that they already agree with.
Old 16-04-2015, 14:39   #59

In my experience, we are usually treated much the same way as we treat other people. Be nice and polite (but firm when it becomes necessary) and you will usually be treated fairly. Go into a place with an attitude or quickly lose your temper and you get treated poorly. It's easy to go from first on a list to last on a list.
Old 16-04-2015, 14:49   #60

I was only hoping to have somebody tell me what Canadian storage laws were so I could be polite but firm. Instead, I have a plethora of users accusing me of trying to be a victim, and some in rude ways. If anybody needs more information, ask.. That's polite. Accusing somebody of holding back information, implying they are lying will result in said firmness by them.

Regardless, the friendly employees at the marina were professional and accomodating. They helped me out. I have only been polite to them the one time that I went into the office to ask questions about my situation. The problem is not in marina policies, but a lack of clarification of consumer rights and storage acts. I was only asking for clarification to protect myself IF something happened where I would need to be "firm" with them. There was no conflict at any point in any of my dealings with the marina. They were always friendly, and I never once challenged them about their policies

Tags
charging