Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2019, 15:34   #1

LOST MY BILL OF SALE!!! and Corporation Boat

Dear Friends:

I am selling my Cape Dory 330, (hopefully) went to look for the Bill of Sale and can't find it!!! Can find copies (eg in CG Documentation) and can find other documents but no bill of sale. Anyone know what to do?

Next -- Boat is owned by a non profit corporation -- initially Delaware, now Maine. Anyone have any experience selling a boat in this situation?

Thanks for any good guidance you can give me.

-- Molly
tgjournal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 16:20   #2
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: LOST MY BILL OF SALE!!! and Corporation Boat

In theory, transferring the owning corporation means there is no sale of the boat.

Or the corporation does sell the boat, if to a citizen then the USCG documentation transfer process, is the transfer of title.

I would think your old BoS would only (maybe) be of interest to the buyer, not needed by the bureaucrats, the new BoS is what the new owner requires.

Worth working with an attorney, or at least a title search / transfer firm for the State-specific details, some do not "register" documented boats but still require sales/use tax on transfers.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 16:38   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgjournal View Post
Dear Friends:

I am selling my Cape Dory 330, (hopefully) went to look for the Bill of Sale and can't find it!!! Can find copies (eg in CG Documentation) and can find other documents but no bill of sale. Anyone know what to do?

Next -- Boat is owned by a non profit corporation -- initially Delaware, now Maine. Anyone have any experience selling a boat in this situation?

Thanks for any good guidance you can give me.

-- Molly
So your Cape Dory is documented. That means title is registered with the US Federal Government and NOT with one of the States.

HOW DO I OBTAIN TITLE INFORMATION FOR A DOCUMENTED VESSEL?
You may obtain an Abstract of Title which will show all bills of sale, mortgages, and notices of claim of lien filed and recorded by the Coast Guard. You may request the Abstract by fax if you pay by credit card or may mail your request with the appropriate fee to the National Vessel Documentation Center. To get accurate information you must supply the name and official number of the vessel.

HOW IS VESSEL OWNERSHIP ESTABLISHED?
If the vessel is new and has never been documented, ownership may be established by submission of a Builder's Certification (Form CG-1261), naming the applicant for documentation as the person for whom the vessel was built or to whom the vessel was first transferred. Also acceptable are a transfer on a Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin, a copy of the State Registration or Title, or foreign registration showing that the applicant owns the vessel.

In the case of a previously owned vessel, the applicant must present bills of sale, or other evidence showing transfer of the vessel from the person who last documented, titled, or registered the vessel, or to whom the vessel was transferred on a Builder's Certification or Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin. If title was transferred by some means other than a bill of sale, contact the NVDC for assistance.

WHAT HAPPENS WHEN I SELL MY DOCUMENTED VESSEL?
When the sale is finalized you may complete a U.S. Coast Guard Bill of Sale (CG-1340) or complete the “Sale or Transfer of Vessel” section on the reverse of the Certificate of Documentation (CG-1270). Documentation forms, fee schedules, and instructions are available for downloading on this web site. If there is an outstanding mortgage, the mortgagee ( lender) should complete a Satisfaction of Mortgage. The vessel cannot be removed from documentation with an outstanding mortgage.

MAY I RENEW A LOST CERTIFICATE OF DOCUMENTATION?
NO. An Application for Replacement (CG-1258) must be filed along with a $50.00 fee. If the lost document has already expired it must be exchanged. The fee would then be $84.00 plus applicable endorsement fees.

Reference: http://https://www.dco.uscg.mil/Our-...-FAQ/#anchor23
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 17:19   #4

Why do you need the BOS from when you bought the boat?

It is of no matter anymore, except historical interest. Your ownership of the boat is backed by the documentation certificate and USCG database of sales, liens, etc.

The buyer will (should!) do a title search and see that you are the owner of record, that's all that is needed.

Even if there is some reason (taxes?) you DO need the BOS why is a copy insufficient? Certainly the only BOS that the NDC ever got from me was a copy.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 07:52   #5

To all of you who responded:

I am very thankful for the time and effort each of you put into your carefully worded and most helpful responses.

Energized and better informed, I will move forward on all your suggestions.

Thanks,

Molly
tgjournal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, lost, sale